1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Subject at uni

Discussion in 'General' started by specofdust, 24 Aug 2008.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hi all.

I'm kind of unsure about what subject to do at uni, and I'm hoping you can all help me with advice and with a bit of luck, some personal experience.

I've studied chemistry the last 2 years formally, and have pretty much all along wanted to go to uni and study chemistry. Up untill, around 2 weeks ago. I've been studying English, Maths, and Philosophy over the summer and now am very tempted by a joint honours in English and Philosophy. English I'd never studied up untill the summer, but found myself to not only be good at it, but to enjoy it. Philosophy I've studied as a hobby for the last 2 years or so also, and love.

So my problem is probably obvious. I've applied for chemistry. I'm good at chemistry. Chemistry is a useful degree for not only chemistry industry based jobs but many others. But I think I want to do English + Philosophy. I'd probably go for straight philosophy, but as a concession to the idea of making money at some point in my life joining it with English would probably be smart.

What the hell do I do? I'm thinking I'll start the chemistry degree, worst comes to the worst I change in the first few months, or at the end of the first year I suppose. But would changing from Chemistry, a subject I excell at, to something like Eng+Phil - subjects I seem to be good at but probably aren't going to be useful beyond uni be one of the stupidest things a person can do?

TIA

edit: The uni I've got a place in (for any course they offer with the exception of medicine) also runs philosophy + maths, I could be equally happy doing that and am also pretty damn good at maths. Just another option.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would be tempted to do the half-way house of Maths+Philosophy if I were you, but ONLY if you enjoy it.

It's important to remember that you'll be spending a massive amount of time doing these courses, and enjoyment is the key factor in all of them. Don't do a degree you aren't 100% sure you'll enjoy. I know too many people who started a degree in a subject that they don't care about, and they simply don't enjoy their day-to-day studying, and even regret the whole thing.

All subjects have their crappy parts, but make sure you'll like it more often than not, or the motivation won't be there often enough for you to do well.

Upshot: If you really want to do English+Philosophy, do it. I'd stick a bit closer to science, on the chance it's just a kind of "fad" you're having with a new subject, but it's entirely up to you in the end. :thumb:

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I enjoy all four subjects, maths, english, philosophy, and chemistry. I'm just not sure I'd want to dedicate four years of my life to chemistry, and then go on to do further studying in it. I'm fairly certain I would with philosophy. But then, what's the point in doing philosophy? There's no jobs in it besides academia, the subject doesn't even seem to have any clear goals. Maths and English I enjoy, so think I could happily do for 4 years, if I was only spending 50% of my time on them. And I guess if I decided I philosophy wasn't worth it I could move to 100% maths/English in 2nd/3rd year.

My dad is going to hate me xD

Bah.

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Philosophy would be good for law but that's about it.
    I thought I wanted to do chemistry before too, luckily I changed my mind.
    I believe you require more time studying these subjects before you can make an objective decision.

5. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Personally, I'd go through with the chemistry if you enjoy it. I'm told its quite a rewarding degree and the job prospects afterwards look fantastic...

Personally, I want to be a medic, so I have no concerns about earning money afterwards since I'm guaranteed a job. But I have heard many people express their concerns about getting a good job after Uni, and I can imagine its quite stressful.

I'd go for chemistry and ace it, and then get a nice and exciting job, perhaps in the petrochemical industry... and after a few years, when you've made enough money and are ready to settle down, have a crack at the philosophy.

Of course, you should never go with the advice of random strangers such as myself - maybe you could ask someone in a pastoral position at the university, or perhaps friends and family...

Hope it helps,
    MGT

6. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Look at the actual course offered by your uni of choice. Uni level Chemistry/Philosophy/English may be completely different from what you imagine. And I mean seriously look at, can you acquire the course synopsis and some notes/ past papers by any chance? Know anyone doing these courses?

Either way, it seems you enjoy all of the options you mentioned, so I'm sure you'll like whatever you pick. Good luck!

7. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Remember some courses allow you to take elective modules, so you could do 5 modules of a chemistry degree for the education / career, and a module of english or philosophy for the enjoyment.

Have you considered doing natural sciences? You can mix and match any modules that fit into the timetable, or follow a predefined route to get a particular degree. I do half Chemistry, half Physics modules, and will come out with an MSci Joint Hons. in Chemistry and Physics, but I know people on natural sciences doing philosophy, politics and english! (PPE)...

First and foremost, as said before, make sure you enjoy the subject! I have to sit in lectures and labs for 25+ hours a week, so it must be something you like..

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I've studied the two main ones I'm leaning between (chemistry and philosophy) for 2 years now as it is. I can't really mess about for yet more time before picking a degree in one :/

Talked to my mum, she didn't seem to mind too much. Suggested I do a year of chemistry and then change. But that's an extra £7500 onto the cost of my education or so. Plus it means doing a year of a subject I may realise within the first few weeks that I don't want to be doing, that I don't enjoy anymore. Blargh.

NaNeil, what you say last there is pretty much my thought. I've never enjoyed labs and I'm going to have to be doing 2-6 hours a week of them I'd guess.

9. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

The way my course worked out at Durham, I had no physics labs in the first year, and chemistry ones were minimal (3-6 hours a week maximum, on 1 day, easy stuff though).. You'll find that not all your modules will be hardcore chemistry in the 1st year either - you will have a maths module or so to bring everyone up to speed on stuff like matrices, that only further mathematicians will have seen.

You'll also find in later years that you can probably swap some lab modules out for theory modules if you so desire - but this means more exams! As far as exams go, practical modules are a godsend...

10. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Once you get into the Uni changing subjects is much easier than it would be to change the course you're applying for now. What I would suggest is go to your chem course and see what its like, at the same time find out when and where the philosophy lectures are and turn up to a few of them too, nobody will mind in fact its extremely unlikely that anyone will even notice.

OTOH I don't think a degree in philosophy really qualifies you for any job in the modern world, law firms want trained liars, sorry, lawyers, and so will take people with a law degree (which might include some aspects of the philosophy course)

I'm assuming that you've already made your application for chem and had an offer? In england and wales this is all settled by now but I know things might be different up there.

Final piece of advice, do something you enjoy, I'm doing aerospace eng because they offered me a whacking scholarship but I think now that I might have been better off transferring to electronic eng, if you don't have a passion for your subject then you just wont enjoy it and 3 years/£25,000 is a lot to spend on something you don't enjoy.

Moriquendi

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, ordinarily everything would be done, but I did a summer access course that, so long as you get sufficient marks for the course, guarentees you a place at the uni on the course (given space). I got high enough marks in the access course for every subject at Aberdeen except for medicine. So I pretty much get to choose whatever I want. I could probably change in freshers week or beforehand without too much hassle.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Honestly? having done finished my degree not too long ago, do something that'll pay you well, and that you enjoy. Prioritize in that order. The job market is bloody difficult enough, and having a degree that screams I'm very clever and deserve the money will set you up in the long term.

true, no one will notice. I can vouch for that. I turned up to architecture and geography classes and met loads of new people, who later on in the year probably thought I was a drop out

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Aug 2008
  13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Can you not do three subjects? At Lancaster University all students had to study three subjects in the first year, then they narrowed down to one after that. Effective, it was. Yoda, I am.

Are we talking English Literature here by the way? Language? Linguistics? Expect Literature to be heavy on the work-load. Linguistics or language on the other hand are quite enjoyable and insightful topics. Really though at this stage your choice has to be based on worth more than anything. If Chemistry will help you most in the future and you enjoy it enough to do it then that should be a de facto choice. You can always try and study a Part 1 course for extra credit.

14. Major

Major Guest

I enjoyed Business when I did my College Course, what a load of bollocks the course turned out to be, I feel sorry for those doing the First Diploma, then Second Diploma (3 years).

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I did English (Creative Writing) and Philosophy.

It was worth it.

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, not sure if Scottish students study three subjects. Here degrees last 4 years for honours, and are modular - with a wide range of choices at 1st year. I'll be making the most of this wide range regardless. I can go deep in 2nd year onwards.

It'd be English Language I'd be studying, so linguistics, semantics in relation to philosophy, the language itself. Not literature. Literature isn't really related to philosophy, but there's a huge area in philosophy for language (philosophy of language, surprisingly enough).

Kayin, despite your short post - that means quite a bit coming from someone I respect, thanks :)

17. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Think this is an appropriate thread to ask this question:

Is anyone having problems accessing/logging onto the Student Finance Direct website?

18. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

When I went to uni i applied to do accounting, didn't get on with it at all after the first three months. I then applied for a computer networking course, after I'd been accepted, i dropped out of my origional university. I went for the 'It's boring but it'll pay' and couldn't cope with it. On the other hand my best friend does chemical engineering, and got paid close on £18k during his gap year, one of his coursemates did a placement and has already been offered a £40K job. Petrochemicals are worth a lot. If i were you I'd do the chemistry course, see how you like it. Have english and philosophy as a hobby? Join societies and the like to keep your hand in. IF after a few months you decide chemistry isn't for you, then do something about it. I'm glad i gave accounting a go though, as i now know I don't have that sort of mindset and need a job that interests me in the future. Hope some of that might help.

RwD

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For once, no. Give 'em a ring and see if something's wrong. They're usually quite helpful on the phone (when you don't get the scot with the ridiculously slurred accent). :)

20. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

I think I'll have to when I get a chance. I've been trying but cant even bring up the log in page. I'll report back what I find out from the phone call. If anyone else is having any problems, let us know. Would really like to think thats its just me and not the website thats down.

Tags: