1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Nikon D800 Thread

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by LennyRhys, 8 Feb 2012.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed with the release of this camera. I was hoping for a replacement/update of the D700 and I got a replacement for the D3X. Landscape and portrait photographers should rejoice at this camera but I think the D700 filled a need for a much wider audience that has just been significantly under-served.

The clear replacement for the D700 as it stands now is the D4 which is almost twice the price.

I hope that Nikon comes out with a D700s or something soon. Otherwise, I will probably be buying a D7000 as my backup body and that frustrates me to no end.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm not sure which niche they're trying to fill here. The D700 is going to disappear from the market, leaving a gaping hole round the £1500 mark. You'll be left with the choice of a D300s at around a grand, but with a crop sensor, and then a jump all the way to £2400 for a D800 - that's a massive price difference.

I was expecting a D700 replacement - 20-odd megapixels, and a decent feature set, coming in circa £1600. Perhaps there is a D700x in the pipeline, but I've heard no rumours to that effect.

Yes, the 5DII was £2400 when new, but that was many years ago now, and the market has moved on. I'd expect Canon to sell more 5D cameras at their current price point if the D700 disappears, rather than sales moving to the D800 - after all, £800 will buy you quite a nice lens.

4. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Looks like a very capable camera, but at a steep price.
    To be honest, my only thoughts are : what is taking the 5D MKIII so long?
    I could really use some higher ISO range, a better AF system and a few more MP's then my 5D offers. And would like to skip the 5D mkII and go straight to the mkIII, just don't know how much longer I can wait.

5. eddie_dane

The feedback I have heard from my Canon friends, the only real room for needed improvement on the Mark II is the focusing.

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Yep. More DR and better high ISO performance couldn't hurt but 5DII + better AF + ~7fps burst would be something that I would really look forward to.

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

The AF is the most obvious need of improvement on the current 5D mkII.
    Hmm wish I could afford a 1D X and be done with it.

8. eddie_dane

You just put your finger on why I'm so disappointed with the new D800. The D700 was a D3 without the burst speed and a few bells and whistles - basically features that everyone but sports shooters didn't really need at a relatively bargain of a price.

The D800 is a discounted D3X, a camera that almost no one wanted or needed. There is a huge gap of people who could use an affordable version of the D4 that have nothing - for now.

9. stonedsurd

Tbh, the D800 looks like a camera geared to take on the 5D2/5D3 (if it ever comes out) - there's a lot more bells and whistles dedicated to video on it and the ridiculously high resolution would suggest that Nikon was aiming to steal market share from Canon, not build on their own product line/customer base. Perhaps they see a market in people that want(ed) the D3X but couldn't afford it?

I remember Pook saying he wanted to retire his MF system in favor of a high-MP DSLR. I wonder whether he's excited about this camera.

10. eddie_dane

You may be right. But that group you describe doesn't cater to the current, and substantial, D700 users.

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I am, but I question the quality gained from it compared to a 6x7 film. The resolution exceeds MF, but the sensor size would just mean it's gonna be lens limited. It will still be great though.

I do think this pixel count chasing game is silly however. Why not 24MP and a faster burst rate and better low light performance? That would be a better balance.

Still.. 60FPS @ 720P opens up some creative possibilities the 5DMkII doesn't have. I reckon this will displace the 5DMkII as the DSLR video weapon of choice. The 5DMkII wasn't actually that good. It just happened to be the only real choice of full frame DSLR with 1080P. That is no longer the case. So far as video is concerned, you'd be mental to buy a 5DMkII now.. unless budget is the main concern.

I reckon this camera is a winner. Sure, it's pi$$ed off the D700 owners who wanted a replacement, but tough titty! I'll be getting one at some point. No rush... I'll let the prices settle. Meanwhile, I'm still constantly amazed by just how good the D7000 is.

Nikon really need to push lens R&D to the next level though if they think they're going to fool anyone with 36MP. 36MP will not be the reason I'll be buying one. I just think it's going to be a killer camera.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Have Nikon resolved the rolling shutter problem they had with their first dSLRs and video?

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Cant say Im really interested in this tbh. I'd rather have a D400 with D700 iso capability, or a D800S with D3s Iso and 18mp or so.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Get a 1Ds Mark II, or III if you can afford it (seriously). I sold my 1Ds2 to get a video-capable body and currently use the 5D as my primary, and I really miss the pro body; it's just such a wonderful camera and represents a perfect upgrade from the 5D in every way. If you want top AF performance you really need a 1 series body.

And when it comes to "higher ISO range" I never understand what people are asking for - you already have at least two stops in post processing, so what does it matter if the camera only goes up as high as 1600 or 3200? You can still push that much higher if needs be, and with a pro camera it will stay remarkably clean.

Or if you already have a stack of Canon lenses - that's specifically why I got a 7D over a D7000. If I could have moved to Nikon just like that, I would have, but I guess when I started getting the expensive Canon lenses I was sealing the deal with them...but I'm not bothered - amazing cameras, amazing glass. Still a bit disappointed I won't get a D7000 but I did get a 7D at a good price so I'm happy.

15. eddie_dane

As I think I stated before, I think I may end up getting a D7000 so it's good to hear how much you like it.

Regarding the "pixel packing" issue. I recently read a blog from a photographer I follow that just switched to digital MF and his reasons why, he joins a club of other photographers I follow that use the very same system. I can't justify this jump anywhere in near future but you might find it both interesting and vindicating.

I think we have learned from smaller sensor camera systems that pixel density isn't the catch-all answer they make it out to be. "Full frame" 35mm sensors are no different. I love the density/performance of the D700. Maybe I can just pick up a second hand back-up body from the suckers selling them off to get the D800.

For me 16-22 is the resolution sweet spot, anything more than that on that size sensor is just a waste to me.

16. stonedsurd

But are users spending only ca. $1500 as important to Nikon as those spending double that? It all comes down to cash and I think Nikon expects volumes and margins on this baby to be higher. High enough to justify leaving D700 users out in the cold. No company would willingly shoot themselves in the foot.

Agreed. I'm going to be really cross if the 5D3 stops at ISO 6400 or thereabouts because it has a stupidly dense sensor. Canon did say that the megapixel race was over ("resolution isn't everything") so I'm hopeful that they aren't going to f**k the 5D3 up.

I've got a tidy sum sitting pretty, waiting for a new body to be spent on, so perhaps I'm just being naively hopeful :p

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

^this.

WHen you've used and seen a digital MF system, or used to using MF film, then no 35mm type DSLR will get even close... not even the D800. Sensor is too small. However... while the D800 seems expensive, it's actually not compared to the equivalent MF system. I'll get one... but it won't be replacing the Hassleblad/Phase 1.

18. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

I was hoping for a 16MP FF step-up in the D800 over my current D700.
    Like others pointed out, we got a D3x replacement instead.
    Looks like I'll be considering a D4 instead- the D800 doesn't really seem to be my cup of tea.

Who knows? Maybe the D300s replacement will step up and introduce a new, lower price point, entry FF DSLR with a lower resolution sensor (in-lieu of the current APS-C). Here's to hoping.

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

@ Jasio, I just don't see it happening - low resolution FF cameras are a thing of the past IMO. I doubt they'd replace an APS-C model with a FF model as they are different families of cameras; the D300 replacement will probably be an ultra-high resolution APS-C in the same way that the D800 is an ultra-high resolution FX.

I wonder whether Canon or Nikon will be the first to introduce a 20+ MP APS-C mainstream camera body.

20. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Nail on the head.

Off topic but there are some canon Rumours about the 5D3 with 22mp sensor, 61pt AF , Dual CF/SD slots which I think pretty much sells its straight for me the improved AF and similar pixel density its going to kick arse if its true :).

Have you completely missed the 24mp APS-C Sony NEX-7 then ??