1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Haswell E launch rumoured for 2013

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Last edited: 28 Feb 2013
  2. bowman

bowman Minimodder

'Gamers', heh.. Probably not a lot of gamers buying this.

Benchmark enthusiasts, overclockers, and people with money to burn who boost their ego by posting computer pictures on forums are the target market for these.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

So, a large proportion of the readership of this site then? :hehe:

4. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

This puts the cat among the pigeons, for people who went for a i7 3820 and were waiting to see what ivy -e would bring to the table.

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

High end platforms seem to alway's get a bum deal. Im pretty sure I read (several Years ago) that sandybridge chips would make an appearance on X58. At the time it was just a rumor such as this, but probably affected peoples purchasing decisions. I always assume that one socket will see one generation and consider it a bonus if it doesnt.

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

And professionals of course. Main usage is probably 3d render and bid or photo editting

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Actually, don't forget about pros running rendering or other intensive multi-threaded programs who basically need a more consumer-friendly Xeon on a budget. Same holds for the GeForce Titan - it'll be very useful for those who need the Tesla K20 on a budget.

8. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Depending on what Haswell-E offers for low end, I might consider it at some point. Or Broadwell-E (if such a thing ever exists). I don't strictly NEED it, but if the boards aren't "uber" expensive compared to regular Haswell/Boardwell and the "low end" processors are hexacore at least by that point, it might be worth it for me. I do a fair amount of transcoding, which I don't NEED a faster processor than my 3570, but it wouldn't hurt ot have. I also do a LOT of photoediting...and per op, it wouldn't save me a lot of time, but a lot of stuff I do I regularly see all 4 cores pegged at 95+%.

A savings of 30-40% (for 6 cores + possibly hyperthreading over just 4 cores with no hyperthreading) in time, plus the architectual improvements over Ivy from Haswell and Broadwell (I assume Broadwell will have SOMETHING up its sleeve, even if it isn't much) would be worth while. Photo editing/photography isn't much job, but it is a major, major hobby and cutting 30-40% of time out of the "sitting and waiting for the hour glass to spin" (metaphorically speaking) could easily save me 10-15 minutes in some of my medium sized editing jobs (when sifting/editing dozens to a hundred or two images). On some of my bigger jobs it could easily be 15-20 minutes of savings.

With 3 young kids and the frequency of editing/picture taking, that could be saving me an hour or so a month. Doesn't sound like much...but man, I'd KILL to get an hour of free time back every month.

Anyway, that is more by way of saying if/when I am ready to upgrade my system again, if I can get a $150-200 motherboard and a $350-400 processor that is Hexacore compared to a $120-150 motherboard and $200-250 quad core processor (assuming Haswell and Boardwell continue with quad core being the most you get in the mainline of processors) might be worth it next time around.

Though if the hexa core processors remain $500+, etc...not worth it.

9. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Harsh fir those that went for x79 with an eye to ivy... Im not too sure i believe this is whats going to happen though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Why would intel charge less for a 6 core CPU with AMD a none player in that level of performance.

This is no great shocks in truth as ivy bridge is probably struggling to stay within the thermal envelope already.

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Im still considering going x79. Just cant decide whether to do it for my photo editing rig or my gaming one!

12. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

If this is true could be some bargains coming up for u matey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Unless something is off with the engineering samples which would require too much redesign work to get a shipping product out it would make more sense to release Ivy Bridge-E, even if under the radar, to act as a drop-in replacement for those with existing systems.

But longer term, Intel do need to move up their release cadence in regards to the enthusiast platform coming out after the mainstream - perhaps even the high-end getting the new microarchitectures first on the die-shrinks (when the processes are proven) - or drop the enthusiast desktop line and differentiate Xeons further.

If the market for extreme editions is really that great you could release one on the mainstream platform, either by restricting unlocked multipliers as in the past, or by releasing a MCM with two mainstream die.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Intel are happy with there server profits I'd imagine to worry about what happens to a small market segment.

The fact we have not seen ivy e by now suggests we won't see it at all.

If AMD were competitive we would of seen a mainstream 6 core CPU by now but the fact is they are not at all competitive and intel does not see the point. When a 3770k is faster than everything adding a 6 core CPU at that price point that's even faster does not make good business sence.

AMDs lack of competitive ability at the high end is starting to hit home on the consumer market for builders. If you want a fast 6 core CPU your paying a premium like it or lump it.

Intel must sell them or they would of reduced the price.

AMD ran a similar thing in the old fx days with overpriced CPUs. Them days intel would always come good, can not say i expect AMD to turn this around.

15. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

I wonder what the yields are for intels dual, quad and above. Would be interesting to see if the high premium for 6 core + was purely because they can or wether poorer yields push the price of many cores up. Id guess it would be a mix of both.

16. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I'm not finding myself being CPU bound with a 3570, but then I rarely had problems with my old C2D right up until a few months ago.

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

"High premium" is funny thing to say for Intel CPU pricing, as it was like this for long time. Extreme CPU for $999, second best for $500 (enthusiast), third best for $300 (top mainstream) and from there as it seems fit for current product line.

And $500 isn't a premium price. $3616 per 8-core Xeon with support for 4 socket boards is the premium price :D.

18. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Worst "I have no money" post ever.

19. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

+1 I Lol'd

20. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I have to admit I'm disappointed since the primary reason I bought a asus rampage iv board about a year ago was to hopefully slap in a ivy bridge 2011 counterpart,lol, oh well, til my next upgrade then