1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Green: Started the paint job!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by will., 11 Jun 2005.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Halloo thar you crazy modders.

About a month ago in a fit of boredom I decided to attack my pcs loveley home with a small penknife, i hacked out all of the front of the case leving only the clips that attach it to the frame. Then scrubs came on on E4, so obviously I ignored my case, and its been sitting like this for about a month now.:

[​IMG]

Then the other night I read defyants HPRES II project log and was so inspired that I went down to halfords (a kev shop) and bought me the cheapest tub of bondoish stuff i could find.

This is the result:

First I found a peice of plastic that would form the face. I used a bit of fridge door in fact.....
    [​IMG]

Then using the top of that tup of muffins you saw in the first pic I created the big fan intake using a load of bondo.
    [​IMG]

Another angle
    [​IMG]

My new fan arrived through the door, just as I was typing this so I took more pics. Its not fixed or cut down to size yet but you can see where i'm going.
    [​IMG]

Another angle:
    [​IMG]

I'm going to cut away most of the fan's frame and then place it inside the hole. It will have 3 mm room.

More Pics to come of the side pannels and the top.[​IMG]

Thanks for reading.

PS any ideas for colour and other features are greatly apreciated, thanks.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2005
  2. barbz

barbz What's a Dremel?

nice work on the front panel, is there nething paticular ur going for in this case? or just going to put it togather from what u find? do u have ne sketches or anything like that? your bondo work looks good, keep it up. btw, if u want an idea for color, theme, go something black and shiney with that bondo, nice work. cheers

3. tetleyex

tetleyex What's a Dremel?

Nice work, lookin' smoooooooooooth. Are you going to cut some holes in the front for drive bays, or is it going to be a door? Colours should be black and yellow, or red, or black and red and yellow and do FIREEEEEE :thumb:!

How much was the bondo-ish stuff?

4. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

:hehe: oh how we hate chavs :p

good bondo work :thumb:

retro

5. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Nice work on the bondo mate! How are you going to fit the DVD-Rom and such? Will you be cutting that out from the front?

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

nice bondo work

7. n0ll4k

n0ll4k What's a Dremel?

mhh looks very smooth keep on i want to see more ;)

8. will.

Update:

To answer your questions about the drive bays:

I started using a dremel, but it didn't cut, i just melted and then moved the plastic away. So i ended up using a blade from a hack saw and cutting it by hand, great fun:

[​IMG]

And these are some switches and a bit of aluminum: I will draw sketches for you later to indicate their use.

[​IMG]

This is the top where a nice exhaust fan is going. I may or may not use this grill:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking not and making one out of that aluminum up above, if I have any left.

More on monday.

Laters

9. will.

Half Fan

Quick Update:

[​IMG]

I cut down the fans frame so that the fan will now go inside the hole.

In a quick test I did with the fan going it seems to have actually quietened the fan down a little bit. Good result.

Next job is to smooth out that rugged edge that i cut for the drives earlier.

Also, I am planning on creating remote buttons for the drives. Probally next to the power button. Good idea/bad idea?

10. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

it should work just fine. lots of people have relocated the buttons to their drives. I would do it myself if i knew how lol but i think it would be cool.

very nice work so far!

11. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Dude, wahts that bondo stuff called and how much was it, i have been looking for ages to get some, so i can finish the front of my Chieftec.
    Great work.

12. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Its just car body filler and he said he got it in Halfords. I guess it would be down the fibre glass ect isle but that is only a guess.

13. will.

Its from halfords, about £7.99 for a big tub and £5.99 for a tiny one. (go for the big one, its better value for money.)

its called U-Pol: Easylite polyester based car body filler. I have found that it is very easy to use and once hard it actually has a small ammount of flexibility to it. This is great for me becuase my first attempts went wrong when i was sanding and the case bent a bit, shattering all the work i had done.

More updates on the way. I am currently cutting out a suround for the cd drives and a plate for those flick switches to go on that will controll lighting and fans.

Will

14. trati629

trati629 Can I Fix It? :$ Well Yes??

Evil Green

:rock:
    hay just thorgth i would add i thorght you were going to go with evil
    green and black. you could stick 2 6" coold cathods behind the 12cm
    fan.
    and the wiring diagrams for reroughting switches are on other fourms
    and when you buy switches it comes with a small switch diagram. cause
    i made a pannel for turning on my 12" cold cathods (i have 3. 2 blue 1
    UV). :eeek:
    if you get the luminated push switches from kustom pc they would work
    for the CD drives and power/reset switch.
    :dremel:

15. will.

I have 2 dark green cathodes on the way. They are going to go behind the fan, i also found another kev shop near me which sells load of differnent types of grill. I'm thinking hexagonal cut mesh. I'm going to try and get it chromed. This will go nicely in the 120mm fan hole.

Update coming.... I'm just going to check if my paint job is dry and take some pics.

16. will.

OK, pictures taken:

This is coat number 2 and it makes me wish that dust did not exist, all those little specs are dust or hair or some other pain in the ass. I have yet to sand down this coat so they will be removed in due time.
    [​IMG]

just another angle:
    [​IMG]

17. will.

I found it! My little scrap of aluminum that took me hours to cut out!!

Anyway, at first this peice of crap didn't look good, it was jagged and not straight. All my fault, but i just left it alone, untill I found it on the floor and tried it on for size while taking those photos above. It actually gives the case some style. Its like its been used, worn 'n' torn etc etc. I sanded it down and filed it a bit and this is the result.
    ..............​
    [​IMG]
    ..............​
    [​IMG]
    ..............​
    [​IMG]
    ..............​

Anyway, This rough and ready idea seems to work, so i'm going to go with it. If it looks shite when finnished it will be easy enough to recut some aluminum properly with one of those big cutting things..

Thoughts apreciated..

will

18. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

I epxected this to be "this was my first mod and i cut a hole in the side of my case with a hatched and used masking tape to attach this fan i found thread" but thats a sweet bondo job, way to go!

19. will.

Thanks, To be honest, thats what i thought as well, but i got in way over my head... lol.

20. will.

I have been looking arround for cold cathodes that suit my needs best; green but not florecent.
    Almost a dark green, I can't quite put what I am thinking into words but the closest i can get is evil green, the sort of green you see in films to create a dark atmosphere.

clicky