1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Confirmed Scam

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 28 May 2008.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Sold iPhone on eBay, 400$. Payment cleared correctly, went into bank account, I shipped it out via USPS as the guy requested, several weeks later.. I get this from him:

"I have refused reception of a parcel, as domestic contents mismatched the paid goods. The parcel is sent back to the sender on May, 20th. The identifier of parcel RA042667784RU. Because I have refused parcel reception, formally owner of the item of mail is the sender and he can present all claims only. To such images I cannot make a complaint to a post service and initiate investigation. I wait for results of your manipulation in a post service."

Now at first I was gonna go "aww man he got his crap jacked.. gonna have to check it out" but I thought more about it.. and.. Aren't you not allowed to open a parcel unless you sign and accept it? If so.. how would he know whether the item is the correct one?

I know what I shipped, and I shipped exactly what I described, yet he says he got something different. I logged in earlier to Paypal to find a dispute case where Paypal have pulled 400$ off my account to a "On Hold" status. Am now waiting on phone to talk to them.. It sounds awfully fishy to me.. I've never been able to open a package, whether USPS, DHL, FedEx, UPS unless I signed and accepted it.

What do you guys think?

Oh yea.. Also.. he shows a "parcel" number, where he sent the item back.. yet when checking with USPS.. and after calling them, they said the reference number is invalid and doesn't even match their general reference number formats. I tried UPS, FedEx and DHL as well..

Sigh.:wallbash:

Last edited: 11 Jul 2008
  2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

gutted, sounds like you got done.

3. DarkLord7854

Well, the funds are being held by Paypal atm.. so they're not lost. It just shows as a negative balance. Trying to call Paypal but I haven't gotten through yet.. I've sent a report to eBay and alerted them via Chat as well, they put an extended hold on to the "dispute" to make sure the funds don't go to him nor me until this is resolved.

4. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

hey what happened darklord? im curious? hope it worked out? sounds like a scam to me, i hope you got the money back!

5. DarkLord7854

Paypal still holds funds.. The guy keeps insisting he never got iPhone, he says he sent the box back and gave me a USPS parcel shipping number, I've talked with USPS, they've contacted the offices near his place, none of them have sent parcels going to me and the shipping number/id/receipt is invalid and does not show up in USPS records. So am still waiting.. if dispute doesn't resolve, or is not escalated to be judged by Paypal, by June 16th, then it'll be permanently closed.. of course, he can still seek legal routes.

But seeing as since I last sent a message on the dispute, saying that USPS have absolutely no records what-so-ever of any shipments heading to my house from within 100 miles of his address, he hasn't bothered replying and it's been several days, I'm going to take it as a very, very, pathetic attempt to win an iPhone and his money off a poor college kid. Too bad he had to pick the college kid who wasn't half-stupid.

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

i hope you get your funds back, these types of people really annoy me. They have to make life difficult and cant honour anything. What ever happened to simple agreements? Goodluck dude! let, hope it works out!

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Whatever happened to honesty and integrity?
    And of course, there is the problem.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. Azh_fx

Azh_fx sup dawg?

hi mate, i take you had a 0 balance in your paypal and are now showing as -£400

just cancel your direct debit / instructions to paypal from your bank to be extra safe

obviously he has got the phone and is sending you a box of stones back

show paypal the proof of postage and his signature and say you have not authorised any
    returns / refunds, and in your opinion he is sending (if he is) an empty box or something back.
    You believe he is attempting fraud.

youve got to really speak to someone rather than use the stupid automated emails

good luck

9. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

The only way you check an item without signing it is if you sign it as "unchecked", this way if items are missing/damaged you CAN claim compensation from the shipping company.

10. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

shouldn't you have a tacking number form the package you sent him? I figure you should be able to say that he received the package and that the sale was complete as there were no refund policies (if that was the case on your auction) and that it appears this person is trying to defraud you as the phony package number they sent you is evidence of.
    in short, mail them a bomb. see how they like that.

edit: I think I've seen something like this before. it was part of why you shouldn't use paypal (an article that also had accounts of frozen funds with no reason given that remained frozen for many months with a balance in them in the thousands, supposedly paypal was pocketing the interest or something source1 source2). I wouldn't know about paypal myself as I don't use it an the online auction site I use mainly deals with direct bank deposits.

anyway, I hope you get this sorted and get this scamming asshole caught

Last edited: 8 Jun 2008
  11. DarkLord7854

Well, I threw away the receipt because he never bothered getting back to me after 4 weeks since I shipped it, and I figured, he got it, so w/e.

I did not state any refund policy. And I need to get back with USPS on Monday and see if they can pull up the package I sent him.

And yea, my account shows -400$, it's attached to my checking, of which I have moved all funds out, thus they can't pull anything even if they try, and if they do, I'll just report the attempted withdrawal as unauthorized.

Thanks guys

12. DarkLord7854

Well.. the guy just randomly escalated it to a Paypal claim 1 day before it was about to close without resolution. What's funny is that he hasn't bothered replying to my messages asking for confirmation of return shipment of supposed "wrong item." Paypal are being real asses though, they deleted my side of the story randomly, and I had to call and bitch for several hours, am so pissed off, this guy has scam written all over him. If they conclude it in his favor.. I'm telling BoA to shut out Paypal and I'll take legal action if necessary, I don't give a crap, he got the iPhone, there's no way he's getting his money back for something he has.
    So pissed. :wallbash:

F Paypal & eBay.

13. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

sadly paypal is buyer biased right now. there is virtually nothing set anywhere to protect sellers. first thing they do is freeze funds and unless you can provide proof that the other idiot got exactly what he wanted you dont have much hope of getting over the -400 balance.
    best advice i can give is set up an auxilary account if you really feel the need to use paypal and close the current one. they will keep tryin to hit that checking acct till they get lucky and get the funds.
    i have had 3 friends get burned bad in similar instances. in each case ebay and paypal both did all they could to reimburse the buyer and ignore the seller no matter what thier seller rating or proof they had. (one guy had 99.8% pos feedback..this was his only negative and he had a signed pod slip from palletways when it was dropped off) paypal took the money back saying it was insufficent evidence to show he sent the proper item. no mention of the normal, return the item and i will give you back your money, now its all kinda....here you pay me for this, i will send it, in 2 weeks open a claim in paypal and say it didnt arrive or was broke, sit and wait a month and a half and you will get all your money back.while i sit here screwed out of cash and product.
    sad days =o/

14. DarkLord7854

Ah.. Thanks for that tip, I've just talked with BoA (my bank) and requested a block on any incoming/outgoing transactions on the basis of them being fraudulent. There's no way I'm letting them screw me over..

That's such a crap system btw.. So even if buyer gets item, and he just wants to screw buyer over, he just requests a dispute and then elevates it, and he's practically guaranteed his money? Wow.

15. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

unless you send the item with some kind of tracking to prove they got it theres bugger all you can do about it, i've got hit by it before with some car stuff i sold on ebay, because they were big lights i just send them as a parcel and there was nothing i could do to prove they had them.

16. DarkLord7854

Hmm well what sucks is that I can't remove my bank info off paypal due to neg balance.. Hoping BoA will block em if they try to pull money from me..

17. koola

koola Minimodder

I've been in this situation before where the buyer claimed he hadn't received the item and like M4RTIN, I couldn't proved that he had or hadn't. I knew it was fraudulent as he opened a dispute one day after I confirmed that it was posted.

Sadly, PayPal totally ignore you and seem to side with the buyer. Back then PayPal didn't have direct debit permission so they couldn't take the funds direct from your bank and to this day they still haven't although NCO who are appointed debt collectors still try now and again to collect without success.

I would think twice about using PayPal in the future.

18. DarkLord7854

Yea.. I'm not going to use Paypal again. Unless I buy.

19. DarkLord7854

So I just found out the card on my account, is actually my Dad's... which expired 4 months ago!

Only problem is that BoA don't want to cooperate with blocking any funds from being transferred. They're being downright asses. I'm considering cutting my checking account and opening a new one. Since, my bank account is still listed on Paypal..

And I just checked Paypal and it said this: "Paypal seller protection: Ineligible" yet quotes stuff saying I need a reputable carrier for shipment, which I have, I had to have sent the item on time, which I did, and have a tracking number, which I do. Yet somehow I'm still ineligible.. What a buncha pricks.

They're so frustrating.. Arggh..

20. DarkLord7854

Hah.. Just talked to this really nice guy on Paypal and he made a buncha notes on the claim and ran through some of the steps, and right now it's got a 90% chance of coming out in my favor.. soo.. fingers crossed.