1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs New LED TV advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B00M3R94, 26 Aug 2013.

1. B00M3R94

B00M3R94 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

So I am looking into getting a new LED TV, It will mainly be used for gaming so I am wanting the best picture possible without lag etc. etc.

I am currently looking at this one off Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE40EH5000-40-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B007IHYP5Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Most of the reviews are for it saying how good it is, but one comment stood out saying that on games like COD & BF3 the TV cannot handle it (Motion blur)

There is also this one which is a new 2013 model.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE42F5000AKXXU-42-inch-Widescreen-1080p/dp/B00BTG8AR4/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1377535440&sr=1-1&keywords=LED+TV

What would you guys/girls suggest?

thanks.

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

BETTER OFF GETTING A PLASMA FOR THOSE USES THEY ARE MUCH FASTER AND CHEAPER.
    CAPS LOCK SORRY.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Power consumption/thickness/general picture are all considerations from a Plasma p.o.v - I've spent a fair amount of time watching a 2012 6 series Samsung LED set and it's great. I've only really watched sport on it and haven't seen a huge amount of motion blur, if that helps?

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Why do people fall for advert &$^#%^about how thick the TV is?? Are you stacking something behind it where 5-10 cm makes a difference?? Are you wall mounting on a doggy wall where you are worried that it will makes the wall fall down?

From the sets I have seen only the ultra high end LCD (dont even start me on LEDs) are comparable to the speed of a plasma.

5. jinq-sea

You know what? I was actually trying to be constructive and helpful. This is not helpful.

People care about the size of things in my experience, particularly (in the case of a friend who just bought a new set) where space is at a premium. In his case, the very shallow depth of an LED set meant he could go that bit bigger and it would nestle just in front of the shelf above where the tv is placed.

You may have just caught me in a bad mood, but this sort of aggressive posting is a bit unnecessary, I'd say.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Plasma TV's are better than LCD TV's apart from the amount of heat produced and the power used.

I would suggest getting a Plasma however you will struggle to find one that is smaller than 42" as I don't think any of the manufacturers actually make them smaller anymore, I know Panasonic use to make one that was a 37".

The newer LCD TV's are getting better with the Black Colours and the ability to keep up with fast movements, but they are still not as good as a Plasma panel.

Plasma Screens are also better if you have young children, as they can take abit more of a beating than the LCD screens.

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Reviews check some of those out and the epic Panny: Panasonic VIERA TXP50VT50B, 50 is the 50" version there are also smaller ones, this is just to give you an idea of the model number you want to look for.

Yeah LCD with LED back lighting will use less power but unless you go ultra high end you will get motion blur in fast pas FPS games and scenes where there is a loot of movement on the screen (like a train pulling out of the station)

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

9. longweight

That is just not true.

I have a 2 year old Sony Bravia: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-102-40-lcd/kdl-40ex703

I have never, ever seen any motion blur whilst watching sports or playing PS3 games.

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Nope wrong sorry this is an LED display:
    [​IMG]

LCD Displays may use a LED Backlight. Color LED even is not RGB LED which is the only LED you would really want but is very extremely expensive and you need groups of RGB leds over the entire backside of the LCD. LED back lighting commonly is only at the edges of the screen and they aim for "white" LEDS.

Goodbytes has explained this many times as well and in much more detail. IF you have every seen a lighting diagram in a review you would understand why side mounted LEDs are not so great for color reproduction. Plasma on the other hand produces light directly and uniformly behind every square inch of your screen.

11. longweight

Yes I am aware of what an LED matrix display looks like, most people mean an LED backlight when talking about LED TVs. I am also aware of how edge lit LEDs are used in screens to achieve a relatively uniform backlight.

Plasma may give better colours but I can't find a version of the one that you have linked which is sub £450 which seems to be the OP's budget.

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

That is a high quality LCD Screen, basically you are agreeing with me :wallbash:
    100MHz is a very fast refresh rate for a LCD screen and Sony makes mostly highend screens.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Just turn off MotionFlow or any other trademarked name for image processing and you'll find games are perfectly fine.

14. longweight

I am definitely not agreeing with you.

One of the screens that he is looking at is also 100Mhz, so what is the problem with that unit?

15. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

What are you not agreeing with?

Where do you get the 100 MHz from
    (CRM is not a real world straight froward measure of the refresh rate.)
    From a quick search most places state actual refresh at about 50% of the stated CRM.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE4...ie=UTF8&qid=1377535440&sr=1-1&keywords=LED+TV

Seems to be a F5000 panel.

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

My three year old Samsung 'LED-lit' TV is the same, turn off the image processing and it doesn't blur. Leave it on the default settings and TV looks great but games aren't anything special.

Most users will buy a TV and leave all the settings at default, which manufacturers setup to be best for TV (as it's the sets primary function for most people).

A few tweaks to teh settings and most mid-range LED-lit screens are perfectly fine for gaming on.

17. longweight

Fair enough, didn't realise that they had made up a new metric which means nothing.

18. jinq-sea

Do we really mean 100MHz here? Surely it's just 100Hz?

Plus - good advice on turning off image processing :)

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

20. longweight

Only problem with that unit is the resolution of 1024 x 768.