1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU 4K advice for mediacenter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 24 Apr 2014.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I am thinking of getting one of the new UHD TVs that have just arrived on the market from Samsung.
    I want to build a dedicated machine for that, one that will only be used for movies and browsing, NO gaming.

I have looked at two specific CPUs but have no clue how they would handle 4K without a discrete graphics card.

I have looked at Intel 4440S or AMD A10-6700T, which would be the wisest choice?

TheStockBroker likes this.
  2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The AMD chip definitely has the more powerful iGPU but I don't know how well it would cope with 4K.

Are you 100% certain that you do not want a discrete card?

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

If I can avoid it to keep the price down and use my ITX chassis of choice, then that would be the best.

Any one else have an opinion?

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

5. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Maybe I should give that a try! Just found out all the ITX motherboards for FM2 (as in A10-6700T) APUs I find only support 1920x1200 via HDMI, so not even FullHD.
    Some 1150 ITX boards though seem to be able to use HDMI for 30fps 4K, all I need to play video.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

1920x1200 is more res than "Full HD" 1080p. You won't have a problem driving 1080p.

7. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Sorry thats what I meant, more than HD but not my goal of UHD/4K. And by the way was not Kaveri I meant either, meant to write Kabini as they look to handle 4K ok for cheap. Or am I wrong?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Will depend on file format that you have not mensioned as there's a few different ones also depends where your getting 4k content from as it's not exactly available. Most 4k tvs were supplied with the content in a hd enclosure to play it.

There's no 4k steaming and very few blue rays.

9. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Had no idea they were so affordable now... Thanks :D + Rep

10. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

You are so right, but very soon Netflix and others will offer 4K and why skip that if you can... ;)

11. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Well now when I think about it, IF I should make this machine a bit more capable of 4K - what cheap graphics card will support video playback in ok quality? NO gaming as I have a rig specifically for that.

12. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'd have to say that an R7 250 would be more than capable of 4K video. I could be horridly mistaken though so please don't take my word for it.

13. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Sounds reasonable...

I have been looking at it all and I think I will give it all a shot in the near future.
    But first I will try without a discrete GPU, in the long run I will upgrade my gaming rig that right now are using a Asus GTX660 TOP, and when that happens I will have both my current PSU and the GPU free to do anything with - so will only need a new HTPC case (that can fit the two big components) and then I am definitely good to go.

My current build list looks as follows:

Re-using a Plextor PX-64M3 64GB SSD I have laying around.

Re-using 1x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP RAM (half a set of these), maybe decide to use this instead as it uses a little less voltage, have a little better timing, match the black/yellow motherboard and is a little lower height... :rock:

1x AMD Athlon 5350 APU (brings me back to the days when I had a Athlon Thunderbird and later on a AMD Duron, that was last time I used AMD, been Intel ever since).

1x ASUS AM1I-A ITX motherboard,
    Why Asus? Because it cost the same as ASrock and MSI, but this is the one that to my eyes looks the best and I like the ASUS bios the most (have had all three brands, dislike ASrock bios and MSI looks a little cluttered).

1x MS-Tech CI-70 chassis with 60Watt power brick. Had also considered the Realan Q6i but their PSUs dont have the best reputation and the MS-Tech has a little bit better space inside, which I think will help the tiny cooler a little, to keep it super silent (have not found ANY AM1 after marked coolers so have to give the stock cooler the best options of doing its job).
    As all tests show this setup maximum use about 50Watt I am pretty confident that 60Watt will be enough. Else, the power board actually can deliver 120 and 150 peak bursts, but the brick is only 60 and can easily be replaced.

All this if I dont choose to upgrade the RAM, can be mine here from Denmark for less than £158 including postage!!
    That is one h*** of a cheap machine :jawdrop:

Forgot to say that I already have a mouse and keyboard but in the long run will add a Logitech K830.
    Am expecting to try out some Linux so I don't need to pay for software, but if it does not play well with 4K I might have to pony up for a Windows 8.1 license...

My fingers are getting itchy... Should I pull the trigger? :dremel:

14. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Just got an idea...
    What if I cut a hole in the top of the chassis and took of the tiny 50mm fan on the stock cooler?
    Then I could use a much larger 80 or 120mm fan instead blowing either into the case or out (what would you recommend?).

The case looks like this according to this site:

[​IMG]

So I guess it's not impossible to do...

Am pretty sure it would give a LOT better cooling and could be even more silent.

EDIT: Forget what I just wrote. Have just found yet another review where they actually tested the noise level.
    "Editor's Note (April 23): Reader reaction in the forum to the minimal comments made here by Lawrence Lee regarding the noise of the fan on the ASUS heatsink prompted me to revisit the anechoic chamber with the test system. I can confirm the original comment that the fan produces very little noise. It is low enough that at 1m distance in the chamber, the fan is inaudible; ie, below the ambient level, which is 10~11 dBA — extremely, unnaturally quiet. This is at the default/idle speed of ~1,200 RPM. When left under 100% load with Prime95 for about 45 minutes, the CPU temperature rose to around 46°C (26°C above ambient), and the fan sped up to nearly 1,400 RPM. The noise level barely increased, however. At one meter distance it was still more or less inaudible and very beinign, with a soft muted quality; the measured SPL was <13 dBA."
    Source: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1390-page4.html

Last edited: 25 Apr 2014