1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New GPU - Do i need to go big?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by legoman, 20 May 2014.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Currently i have a power crazy 6950 DCII which gobbles up about 300W of juice when i use it and can be used to heat small countries.
    Im looking to downsize this a bit but being out of touch with these things a bit i thought i should ask you guys.
    Kit is in my sig, monitor only goes to 1600X900 so i was looking at a 750 Ti. Would this do the job? Game wise i play World of tanks Sup comm or killing floor so nothing system killing

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

At the res you play at and the games you play, the 750Ti would do you well. However, if you ever upgrade your monitor or expand into more graphically demanding games it might start to struggle. You might be able to pick up a better deal in the marketplace that would give you some more grunt and longevity, something like a 670 or a 7970/280X can be had for £150

3. legoman

I'm not planning on anything really more taxing to be fair I use it more now to watch films and listen to music then play games. I'll have a look into its fan mounts to see if my arctic cooler will still fit. I think it will but best check!

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

the 750 ti is a great frugal little card ( the fastest card that doesnt require addition power i belive ) im planning on getting one for my HTPC to replace my gtx460

if you need something with a little more oopmph a second hand 7870 would easily be fast enough and is highly efficient to boot ( i have one cooled almost passivly by a MK26 ^_^ )

5. legoman

750ti is out annoyingly, Nvidia decided to give it a 43mm mount spacing, smallest my Waterbeck goes to is 53/4mm so it's going to be something like a 280X now which uses loads more juice

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Sell the waterblock and get an EK 750 waterblock instead? (If you really want to watercool it?) Also, if you wanted it quiet, OCUK sell a EVGA750Ti Cheesecake with a passive cooler.. That only needs a 6-pin, but barely uses more than the PCIe slot can provide! (From what I learnt when I had a 750Ti ACX Cheesecake)

7. legoman

I would, but its an all in one job, makes block chnaging a pain to say the least! Ill have a nose though the newer version has a 43mm mount but the block and fittings look identical. I need to swap the CPU cooler anyway which is being RMA'd