1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display Driver Stopped Responding

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by phoenicis, 14 Jun 2009.

1. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Over the past few weeks, on Vista 64 rigs, I've occasionally been getting the 'display driver stopped responding' error on my GTX260s which in turn causes the work unit the card is processing to EUE. This only seemed to happen when loading a processor with an SMP client at the same time. Even though you get a partial credit for EUEs it's not much use to Stanford when it's you and not the WU causing it.

I've been doing an awful lot of reshuffling, tweaking and upgrading since the Chimp Challenge started and always expect to spend a fair amount of time stabilising things again whenever I mess around with a tried and tested setup but the work involved in sorting this problem has been way beyond the norm.

This display driver error became a real pain the arse on a couple of machines about a week ago and despite taking the shader overclocks off, reinstalling various drivers/software and throwing ever trick I knew at it I just couldn't get rid of the errors. Yesterday, I tried installing Windows 7 on the two offending machines and, touch wood, that seems to have completely remedied the problem.

Anybody else come across this issue? I'm hoping there's a better a solution than a complete Windows switch/rebuild.

2. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Hey, i have had the same issue over the last two weeks with a rig with a copy of vista 32 ultimate installed, it has no monitor attached so i use logmein free to keep tabs on things, the rig was made up from hardware i had laying around including a P4 and 8600gt.
    Not got around to understanding why yet.

3. Slaymate

Slaymate bit-tech Slayer

I've had this happen to me numerous times in the past few years. I've seen numerous posts that all say something different was done to correct the problem. Personally I think it happens when something is causing a slight system instability and the video driver takes the hit because the video is the hardest working part of the system at the time of the crash.

4. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Thanks for the responses guys :thumb: It might well be that any o/s rebuild would have resolved the problem. Norfolk'N'Good, I'd be interested if you ever get to the bottom of it.