1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics The GTX 970 Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 4 Oct 2014.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hello all.

Thinking about upgrading to a 970 - I try not to upgrade too often (770 was second hand, 670 before that was second hand etc), but I simply need more power than what I currently have for Oculus Rift. Also, the setup of my Parvum case means that I'll get a lot better temps and performance with a blower type (stock) cooler.

With that in mind, what does everyone recommend? Scan have a fair selection, starting at £251.

Should I just get the cheapest? (Palit)

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's the GPU of the moment!

Eclipse Computers do the cheapest GTX 970 at £239.94...

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=GC-XNGTX974

... and before you get excited it's not a 'Titan' blower you'd get! The generic variation is a lucky dip with regards to what card they supply. I'd bet it's the Palit blower version however. Currently not stocked but I guess you could pre-order and take your chances.

3. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

I just got 2 msi gaming versions as they seem most popular but not tried them yet

I got mine local to me as most are out of stock

But they do deliver box.co.uk @ 275

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Working from memory I think that company has a terrible reputation.

5. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Im 20 mins from them I havent had to return any think yet tho

I have had a bit from them I got a 4k monitor from them to yesterday

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

It looks like the EVGA ACX 2.0 will be updated to allow the fans to stop when the card is below 65C, I'd assume they'd do the same for the ACX. If that's something that'd interest you Parge. For £15 more I think I'd consider it simply because of the EVGA warranty though.

Ifs and buts and pre order, but something to think about while you're mulling it all over.

7. Parge

The ACX isn't a blower style stock cooler though....:thumb:

8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Got the MSI variant.
    Looks awesome and has a nice white/red LED at the top if you have a windowed case.

Also clocks like a mother!

9. Parge

Think I'm going to go with the EVGA. Its a tenner extra, but the 3x Mini DP on the Palit don't really do it for me - I think my monitor only has full size DP and I don't have a dongle so that would be more expense. 3 Years Warranty is nice too - is it still transferable - and do they still honour it if you have a WB fitted?

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Sorry dude, I thought the blower was just a preferred option not a must. I thought the blower/open air cooler thing was debunked anyway? Besides, they don't get that hot :p

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If you register the card online you get an extra warranty up to 5 years, transferable to new owners and still valid if you remove the cooler. I've ordered a alphacool 760 block from aquatuning while they're on offer, with a plan to get an acx type card in November as they use a 760 pcb. The blower type 970 evga do has a 670 PCB and should fit 670 blocks, but I know some needed minor modifications to get it to fit.

12. Parge

My card faces upwards (inverted motherboard, so pulls air directly from the top of the case), this means that hot air then rises past the card and gets sucked in again.

Also, I have only one 80mm extractor fan, which has to take care of the CPU - if I have a GPU that blows air into the case, it has to take care of that as well.

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Fair enough mate, I'm sure you know best with your case - tis a sexy case to boot. :thumb:

14. Parge

Yeah, probably not many cases where the stock would be better but this is one.

Also, if anyone is after the 970 ACX (1) - Ebuyer has it for £256

15. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

toying with the idea of getting a pair of gigabyte gtx 970's but so far im holding off splashing the cash as my 290 is still doing a sterling job

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I know that with the epic price premium I'm not going to sell it to many people in a 970 thread, but the 980 with stock cooler is the ultimate choice for a SFF rig that wants a blower. Basically silent in all but the most demanding games, and very well behaved even in the "Crysis 3 at max settings" scenario.

Really happy with it... consider how long you intend to keep it for too, it might not seem like such an outrageous price if it's going to keep you happy - long time ;)

17. Parge

Obviously everyone's requirements are different, but 10% extra performance for £200....to me that just doesn't add up.

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Come on now, you get 10% extra performance but 69% extra e-peen :D

19. Parge

Is it definitely 69% or is that just the boost value? I'm worried about throttling at high epeen load.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'm toying with getting a 970 when I come back from holidays in November. I really like the idea of fans stopping when not gaming, all fans not 180mm are using this principle. That would be just under £200 upgrade after selling my 4 year old launch day 580, for 100% performance increase and silent PC.

Anyone have any experience with those fan-stop 970's when browsing content heavy web pages with GPU acceleration browser? How high does the temperature go?

Personally, I'd go with MSI. EVGA doesn't have good reviews for this card. My understanding is that those fan-stop cards are not blower design because blowers are enclosed and doesn't dissipate heat very well by itself?