1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics r9 295x2 low performance

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Qazax, 16 Feb 2015.

1. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded from a GTX 690 to an R9 295x2 for my main pc which has the following spec:

Dual Xeon x5670 @ stock
    192GB DDR3
    EVGA 1kw PSU
    240GB boot SSD
    Adaptec 71605e running 2 x 240GB in RAID 0 (will add two more later for some serious speed)
    1080 screen
    a few other bits

In BF4 multiplayer at 1080 with everything maxed apart from motion blur off (because I hate it) and resolution scaling set to 100 I get between 60 and 100fps, and similar in single player, perhaps going a little higher to 130ish. The strange thing is on afterburner I can see that both cards are getting used, but they are not being maxed out with the usage varying dramatically between 20% and 99% but mostly with one card a lot higher usage than the other. Setting the resolution scaling to 200% (which i understand this card should easily be able to handle as it is designed for 4k gaming) drops my fps to a little below 60, yet the GPU utilisation remains strange and not maxed out.

I did a driver sweep to remove all nvidia drivers, restarted and installed the latest stable catalyst drivers. This gave me the poor performance as described above so I Did a wipe again and installed the latest beta drivers and get the same performance.

Unigine Valley benchmark at 1080 ultra settings with no AA gets me around 2600 points.

In furmark it can see there are two gpu's as it says x2 at the end, but there is only one temperature graph which I found a bit weird.

Any suggestions welcome, my next step is to try the card in my 3930k rig but that would be a massive faff with the liquid cooling and currently I have a neck brace on as I pulled a muscle in my back and it hurts to exist - I had to mount the card today because I was so excited to receive it, but so far it has been a disappointment :(

Q

2. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

Just seen in GPU-z that it is reporting "PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16 1.1"

Time to have a dig around in the bios. My motherboard is an Intel S5520HC which supports PCI-E 2.0 which it should be running at!

:EDIT: scratch that, it was just clocking down - performing the render test in GPU-z kicked it back to 2.0 speeds. damn, thought I had it figured out then.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

192GB of RAM? HOLY ****!

The CPUs probably need some overclocking. I reckon they're holding it back, as you said they're at stock.

4. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

It crossed my mind but they are 2.93ghz hexaxores that turbo to 3.33ghz, CPU usage in game is around 20% with no cores maxing out. I got better performance with the gtx 690 this card replaces. The motherboard sadly cannot overclock as it is a workstation/server board.

Edit and yeah, it isn't short of RAM :)

5. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

had a simalar problem i went from amd 290's to gtx 970 sli with no problems but when i put the 290's back in the performance was all over the place, in the end i did a fresh windows install and that looks to have sorted it, could have been something left in the registry from the nvidia drivers

6. TheMadDutchDude

That was next on my list. Either boot in safe mode and remove the drivers from there or do an entire refresh. That should solve everything. I found out, when I used to review graphics cards, that a lack of a reinstall would result in as much as 10% less performance.

7. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

I have some spare hard drives I can plug in and install to, will see if I can do that tonight after work.

8. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Remember I had the same issue on the GTX980 it was like 20% usage no higher. :/

Tried it in another rig?

9. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

You thinking the motherboard?

It might have to go in the 3930k machine permanently if so.

10. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Speaking of motherboard that ebay guy never asked for the RMA one to be picked up.
    So still have a board with a few knackered DIMM's xD

11. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

Oh nice! Useful as a spare.

12. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

Ok, update for anyone that is interested, it seems that the motherboard I have in my dual xeon machine (the same one that Votick has in his) is not really capable of working with a high end graphics card, it just doesn't seem to get enough data to the card or something. I have the R9 295x2 running in my 3930k machine and it is performing well. It may have to stay in this computer and I will juggle my graphics cards around accordingly.

13. TheMadDutchDude

Very weird. It shouldn't slow it down that much. :(

14. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

It is strange, I guess it is just because it is really a server motherboard, not a gaming motherboard. The Dual Xeon build has been downgraded to a GTX 590 classified as per signature.

15. TheMadDutchDude

It's time to hunt for an EVGA SR-2 then. ;)

16. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

Believe me I looked :(

17. TheMadDutchDude

There's one from the States but it comes with a whole other bunch of stuff too.

I'm still really surprised that the card is throttled that badly, but the 590 isn't.

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I know coolermeister had one for sale

19. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

I have been having a reshuffle of my machines (just fitted a RAID card into the single xeon machine and reinstalled windows, the other day I flashed a custom BIOS on this P6T SE to enable SLi and fitted the two GTX 670's) so when I say the dual xeon machine has the GTX 590, it actually has it physically sitting on top of the case and I will put it in soon :D

My thinking is throttling a gtx 590 is better than throttling an r9 295x2.