1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Onlive is great for trialling games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I hope OnLive crashes and burns quickly. Otherwise other companies will take note of how long they're lasting and think this is the right way to do business in the games market.

I hope noone on BT/CPC is stupid enough to sign up.

3. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

NEVER!

PC gaming through & through, don't even own a console.

4. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

The facts are, cloud computing/gaming will be the future.
    Although i wont use this service, if the price was right i can see this as an advantage.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

If anything onlive is a good thing, especially in the UK. Think of it this way, BT are refusing to lay Fibre unless someone else pays for it ie. you, me or the government. With onlive being bandwidth and speed hungry it needs to invest in order to look after its own interests. The consumer wins. ATM high end gaming will be unrivaled on the PC but it allows access to your game collection on say a netbook. I can't see why people hate the idea so much tbh. Yes it has some early problems and is expensive but it is a pioneer technology. Nothing like this has been done for a basic home user before. ATM the beta results in America looked to rival the consoles in terms of performance with the slight problem of input lag and occasional dropped frames. That means that next gen consoles will be power vs broadband speed. Unfortunately Onlive's success or failure isn't totally in their own hands.

The idea of a specific settup require to keep a game a live can be difficult. Tho I guess having an "older" server set aside for such eventualities or even building their own OS. It could come down to that level of detail needed to keep things running smoothly. Take exclusives for example like gran turismo. Wouldn't it be great to recode it to run on your basic server CPU or GPU rather than rely on a server set up using cell processors? They would solve the ageing problem too.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2010
  6. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

If it takes off, it could be a hit with the casual gamers market (also known as the Wii crowd). Though I think it would take a bit more to convince the hardcore gamer market.

7. shadows

shadows What's a Dremel?

How on earth is onLive good for trailing games? You've got to pay for the service and then pay to trial the game you want?

$15 for service + $6 to trial the game!

Most games you can get a demo of, either via xbox live or psnetwork or even pc, you might have to wait a while for it to download. But at least it's free oh and play it as much as you want.

8. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

My God, it's pricey, especially considering you'll lose all your investment if you stop paying the monthly bills. I'd never use it, but - if this brings more people into PC gaming, and more importantly, if this provokes greater investment in the UK's fibre network, I'm all for it.

9. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

If you have an internet connection fast enough to run onlive then you will have no problem downloading a 1-2 gig demo.

10. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Except that BT are already putting fibre cabs up.

11. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

There's PC gaming, then the occasional good console exclusive, then everything else is crap including Onlive. Cloud gaming is not the future and are they gonna reimburse you when their servers are down, NO. When they go out of business are they gonna mail you a hard copy, NO. Are they gonna raise the price, YES. In a year they will charge you by the minute or by the megabyte of data transfered.

I don't understand why people get all excited by another gaming invention that is half ass. PC gaming gives you THE BEST GAMING EXPERIENCE as everything else is third rate, so except nothing less than being able to play a game the same way or better than the developer made it..

Sure I would love to play Killzone 2 on a PC with Enthusiast settings but Sony's not letting that puppy go no where EVER. Demos are free so tell Mr. Onlive CEO to go pwn himself.

Besides The Steam gaming community is reliable about letting you know good games from bad ones and a Steam weekend sale will get you two or three games for $15 that you can keep and MOD and always be able to play.

Onlive is another lag infested, medium graphic settings, CODMW2 clone saturated, excuse to make lazy non-innovative games.

12. Cadair

Cadair What's a Dremel?

Wow that's some rage :p

Tho I can see your point, something which has such high hardware costs(server side) and requires that much bandwidth to your house is never going to provide as good an experience as a PC gaming rig you have crafted for your needs! Also it is really expensive, and totally NOT a good way to trial games.

However I can see the appeal of the system, take for instance a gaming party, where the majority of the participants are people without PC's (this happens a lot to me). You either have two options, one is to play on the 360, or maybe two. Which is fine for a while but then gets pretty boring after you have exhausted the 4 decent 4 player games.With this could based concept you could play decent LAN games on people netbooks, running at native res of the screens and at high quality settings!

But still they would have to et you log in on more than one pc and have to deal with the ricing issue before I was tempted!

Stu

13. shadows

shadows What's a Dremel?

Probably to run as a lan, you'd all need an account and subscription to the game. Not to mention an internet connection with enough bandwidth to support 4 or 5 people running the games! The system will fail cloud gaming isn't meant to be.

14. Cadair

Cadair What's a Dremel?

Yes, I doubt they would release it so you can log on on multiple places at once, but hey we can dream!

But if you weren't running the 4 or 5 machines on full res (netbook esq screens) then a good fiber connection may do it.

15. mardon

mardon What's a Dremel?

I think onlive is a good thing. I wont personally use it as I have a gaming PC, 1080P TV and not so great internet connection.

At the end of the day Onlive plays PC games, we love PC games. If onlive does well so does PC gaming. The more popular it gets the less console ports we'll have to put up with and more dedicated DX11 games will be produced to test our hardware that we love so much. It may even help convert casual gamers to make the jump for 720p streaming to playing the game native on a proper PC.

As long as input lag is not to bad to a casual gamer who is used to 360 or PS3 where very few games actually play at native 1080p, if they are hooked up to 1080p/or 720p TV in their eyes they are going to get better graphics than the equivalent console they are used to.

16. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

onlive must die! there pricing model sticks, once they move to a monthly fee play as many games as you like no purchase model i'm in (ale netflix, gamefly, lovefilm)

17. gurboura

gurboura TopLevel Computers

I think you all are thinking about this wrong. If you have a 1500 dollar rig, of course you're not going to get OnLive, but if you were a person with a 5 year old computer, like a lot of the population is, this is great for them. You spend 15 bucks, then pay for the game, and you can play current games. Dirt 2, Assassins Creed 2, ect. This is who they are aiming for primarily, not the hardcore gamer with a powerful machine.

Tags: Add Tags