1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Terrible Internet speeds in last week

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Guest-23315, 14 Sep 2014.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is an issue with me personally or my local set-up, but in the last week, our Internet has just totally died... It used to be able to carry a solid 1Mbps download off steam with YouTube running in the back ground, or give me ~100ms ping on a US BF4 server..

In the last week its crashed. It takes me a few minutes to load BBC or Facebook, it took me the best part of 15 to run this speed test:

[​IMG]

Now I know this a fairly open set of issues, but seeing as this set up has been fine for over a year now, any reason for why it would suddenly crash? I've check for as much information I can find from EE, the provider, and I cant seem to find anything that says there is an issue in the area (St. Georges Square, Pimlico). So if anyone has any idea please let me know?

Windows is up to date and all the useless stuff like that.. and the issue is the same with any device connected up to the router wirelessly, hence why it seems to be an issue upstream of the router.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have you tried running a tracert to the sites you've problems with to see if any routers are causing problems ?

If a tracert doesn't show anything untoward you could try using pingtest, from the same people that do the speed test you've already done, or for a longer term view try setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor. Speed tests are all well and good but they don't say much about the quality of the line.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

It will all sites seemingly. And I dont really know what a tracert is.

I'll run some other tests :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Sep 2014
  4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Just redid ping test and got this: [​IMG]

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ignore this one too

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

[​IMG]

- Finally got through to customer services, they're going to reset the line from their end, but say it takes 24 hours which seems a little off in my books... anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Sep 2014
  7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

It's never taken that long when I've had mine reset with plusnet ( bt own plusnet btw ) normally they reset it then I restart the router and get full speed then it takes about 10 days to find the fastest stable speed which is around 13.35mg down and 1.06 up with 30ping on mine, BT always put a low speed cap on theirs

If I was getting the speeds you say was fine I would have left them long time ago.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2014
  8. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Hi Mankz. I can't help you with the speed problems you're experiencing at the mo but do you really only get 1mb (I'm guessing you're still in London)? We manage 1.7 at work in Mayfair, which is what I was getting at home with sky and upped to 2.7 when I switched to plusnet. So maybe you should look at changing provider.

I finally went to plusnet fibre to reduce BBC iPlayer download times from 50mins to about 7 mins and it's now running at 32+ download and 6+ on upload.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2014
  9. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I'm guessing your on Ip Stream and not LLU? The SNR reset should take no more than a few hours to complete. This puts your line into training mode for 10 days to find the best stable possible speed.

Any SNR changes on LLU are instant and usually there isn't a traing period involved either. Try and enter your number here and post back what the estimated speeds you should be getting are......

http://www.pulse8broadband.co.uk/

EDIT: I'm not fishing for a customer, just trying to help as best I can.

10. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Everyone else seems to have glossed over this part, so will just ask for clarity - this seems to imply wired clients are fine?

If so, it could be simply that someone has moved in 2 floors down with a decent router and high gain antennae and is using the same channel as you - that or someone could be rerouting/intercepting your traffic, MITM?

TSB

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Thats the thing, until recently it was all fine, a good speed for £8 a month. Its just this last week.. I just want them to reset the line and see what happens, but apparantly thats too much for a Bangladeshi call centre to muster.

It was a 1Mb minimum download off steam constantly, which I'm not too fussed by. I quite liked using EE because they just bung the bill with my phone bill and until now it worked decently.. I am still in London, about a mile south of Mayfair.

However, the 2 hours ive spent on the phone to customer services just to get them to reset the damn line is making me think about changing really rather soon.

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Based on my experience with their customer service, please never even your worst enemy get EE Broadband. Its utterly hellish.

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Worse than TalkTalk?

14. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Cant be worse than virgin surely :p

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Still not reset my line.. now hangup whenever I call. Still not internet. Beyond a joke.

16. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear that bud, but as TSB's mentioned, is it the wireless kit thats been giving you grief?

Can't believe your provider is just hanging up, if they don't resolve it, who will? :jawdrop:

17. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

As TSB has said, it could be a wireless issue causing your problems and it's definitely worth you investigating, even if only to rule it out.

Are you able to test using a device connected to your router via ethernet?

If not do you have a mobile device which can run an app like "WiFi analyzer"? It's available for free on Android and will let you see any nearby WiFi networks, their signal strength and which channels they use - great for troubleshooting WiFi interference issues.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2014
  18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I'd be changing ISP about now if that was me ffs

19. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Mankz, try putting your complaint in writing to this lot which includes, among others, the entire UK management team: :D

olaf.swantee@ee.co.uk (olaf.swantee@ee.co.uk); ralf.brandmeier@ee.co.uk (ralf.brandmeier@ee.co.uk); marc.allera@ee.co.uk (marc.allera@ee.co.uk); pippa.dunn@ee.co.uk (pippa.dunn@ee.co.uk); gerry.mcquade@ee.co.uk (gerry.mcquade@ee.co.uk); steven.day@ee.co.uk (steven.day@ee.co.uk); jackie.o'leary@ee.co.uk (jackie.o'leary@ee.co.uk); francoise.clemes@ee.co.uk (francoise.clemes@ee.co.uk); stephen.harris@ee.co.uk (stephen.harris@ee.co.uk); neal.milson@ee.co.uk (neal.milson@ee.co.uk); fotis.karonis@ee.co.uk (fotis.karonis@ee.co.uk)

I found the email addresses through Google (not on EE's website) but at least some of them should still be valid.

If you don't get a response from that, CHANGE SUPPLIERS! :thumb:

Last edited: 20 Sep 2014
  20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Meh, given up entirely. Can someone reccomend me a decent supplier?

According to Uswitch, I can get a 76Mb line from Plusnet for a decent amount, would anyone recommend them?