1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project 1 - A Cardboard PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by McINTYRE12, 1 May 2013.

1. McINTYRE12

McINTYRE12 What's a Dremel?

Hello BitTech community ! My name's Kiss Claudiu , I'm from Romania and I'm 15 years old.This is my first project .Making it out of cardboard was decided easily , as I don't have any money for case materials. It's going to be just the case , no hardware , no nothing , as I don't have any money.I had a rough sketch of what I thought it would look like , but it changed a lot , as soon as I'll make another sketch I will post it.I wanted it to look something like the BitFenix Prodigy Arctic White but to be a full ATX case.

BUILD :
    Preparing the basic frame.

[​IMG]

Building the motherboard tray.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cutting fan holes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

i must say that there is couple very inspiring cardboard cases (eg retromod by arg0s). but my cardboard attempt finished in the waste bin :) one must use few layers of box cardboard to achieve structural rigidity of just thin plastic... especially at the angles and fringes... or reinforce with some mesh/thin plastic between layers
    good luck anyway and welcom to BT forums!

3. McINTYRE12

Thanks for commenting Vetalar ! I will use several layers of cardboard and paper on the final layer to be able to paint it . My last attempt of a cardboard pc ended as well in the trash , but I hope this will be different . I'm open to any sugestions , if you have any .Thanks again.

4. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

i'd reinforce all openings with ribs etc. and make as many "rigidity ribs" inside the case as i can. and try to avoid rectangles and long fringes - more bows, arcs etc

5. McINTYRE12

I was thinking of the same thing .I will start with the ribs tonight , after I'll get some more cardboard.

I noticed that I made a mistake. The fan holes that were suposed to be on the front , are on the top.I wasn't paying attention when I cut them...

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You can build an incredibly tough case just layering more cardboard. The cardboard case I did had the corrugation perpendicular to each other on each layer. It's so strong only fire can destroy it.

Cardboard is free, so go crazy with the design.:D

7. McINTYRE12

Yeah , sorry for this , I don't know how to delete messages...

Last edited: 3 May 2013
  8. McINTYRE12

UPDATE:

Basic grills cut out(not sure if I'll keep them):
    [​IMG]

Making stability ribbs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pressure applied for white glue to dry:
    [​IMG]

Filling on motherboard tray:
    [​IMG]

9. McINTYRE12

Thanks for commenting man. Yes , as you say carboard is free , and I have some crazy ideeas .We'll see what the outcome will be.

10. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

ahhh cardboard, my good old friend! planned out so many "blanking plates" "fan grills" etc with it, love the build so far :)

11. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

The best (or at least most structurally rigid) cardboard I have been in contact with is the stuff they make those boxes which hold soft drink syrup bags out of.

Back in my McDonald's days, I used to have to stomp on those boxes to flatten them down for recycling, can't say I've come across anything stronger since.

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

AvJaB, Bayby! You're knocking all the active projects to the 2nd page! Ease up with that enthusiasm. :lol: