1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Raspberry Pi has arrived

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by favst89, 12 May 2012.

1. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

So my Raspberry Pi arrived this week but due to unexpected problems, no usb keyboards here and then having to directly plug into my monitor leading me to have to swap the cables around a lot I haven't tried it much until now.

I'm now writing this from my Raspberry Pi running Debia curretnly. I am running it overclocked to 850Mhz (from 700) with no voltage increase. I am using it with the memory split at 192Mb for RAM and 64Mb to the GPU. 50-50 split is ok for GUI and video processing. The split of 224Mb RAM and 32Mb for GPU doesn't seem quite enough for the GUI and web browsing etc.

I intend to run some benchmarking of various types with the different memory splits and overclocking. As well as try setting up xmbc, quake 3 and some programming of my own. Really want to try the new fedora release that will be coming out towards teh end of the month.
    If there's anything you want me to try let me know and I will give it a go, though while linux quite well whether I will be able to is another question.

I will post a picture in a minute but my camera batteries appear to have gone flat :miffed:

Edit images added;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 May 2012
  2. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Run geekbench lol

3. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

I'll be watching closely on how it handles XBMC in the real world, might grab one in a couple of months for student flat media centre that doesn't cost the earth.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Quite interesting that you got up to 850 from 700. I thought I remember reading that they weren't supposed to have any headroom

5. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

This is what I'm planning to do as well!

6. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Impossible - Geekbench is x86 only, otherwise I would have run it on my router a while ago!

7. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I will be trying xmbc soon hopefully. Just extending the partitions and setting up the network currently.

I have got it overclocked to 900Mhz on standard voltage now, no signs of issues yet. I also need to experiment with memory overclock.

I *may* be able to run geekbench if I install android to it. There is a geekbench for android and it is possible to install android to pi (though think the limit is 2.2) but I don't know if there is a minimum system requirement for the geekbench app.

Running linpack benchmark;
    Software floating point (crippled);
    Frequency 700Mhz 800Mhz 900Mhz Over 64 REPS
    Time 11.5 10.0 9.03
    kFLOPS 8212 9188 10198.4

At 900Mhz there was enough time to run 128 REPS over 18.05 Seconds

Soft floating point only tested at 900Mhz, over 128REPS averaged 40879kFLOPS.

Edit: just oc'd the memory to 420Mhz from 400 and the soft floating point test has gone to 512REPS with an average just of 46000kFLOPS.

Last edited: 12 May 2012
  8. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

XBMC for me too with total network streaming is all I'm after, although I would be interested in seeing android on it.

I signed up for notifications about the Pi end of last year and at no point did they let me know they were taking pre-orders. So it was only last week I was invited to buy one after officially registering my interest about a month ago, which I only did because someone I told about the project asked me if I had paid for mine yet.

You would think they would have let me know sooner and certainly after frequent visits to the website I would have thought they would make it obvious to people that we had to go to two different websites to buy the thing.

Anyways it looks like August I'll be getting one so only over 8 months wait since I wanted to buy.

9. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Depending who you ordered it with and exactly when it should be before the end of June. RS had said that anyone who had ordered before the 16th April (I think) would get there's before end of June, whether there will be further delays I'm not sure. I was checking the site and forums daily and managed to spot the pre-order opening date. When I got up at 6am and registered interest I must have been within the first 6000 to get mine this early.

I have now got it running at 925Mhz, 950 booted and ran for a short time then suffered a kernel crash. Memory is now at 440Mhz. Not sure how far the memory will go. No GPU over clock yet though I also have nothing that really uses it at current. I also noticed that running linpac in the terminal with the GUI desktop started was faster than running it without X started. Which is surprising to me.

I am now compiling the beta of xmbc to try out on the pi. It is not final yet but I am keen to try it out and will post my findings if I get it working.

10. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I think I might need two....

11. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I also remember reading that you couldn't oc them. Mine should arrive early next month, still not sure what I will do with it though, I just wanted one. I hope to have sorted out my media and network by then an run xbmc on it.

12. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

I am green with envy. I'm getting mine before the end of June as well, can't wait to get it and have a play. Luckily, it shouldn't arrive before my exams are finished!

Enjoy playing with it

Cheers
    Enterobsidian

13. Meaty Pete

I WANT TEN!!!! :clap:

EDIT: And putting them all in lego cases!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited: 13 May 2012
  14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Mobile lego house containing a Pi as a media pc and a Pi to control robotic legs so you dont have to get up to put in a disk should you want to :p

15. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

What kind and size of SD card did you find to be working with the Raspberry Pi?

16. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Payemnt for mine has gone through, due by end of month, better be worth that early morning!

Have been playing with xbmcbuntu in preperation for the PI version, very excited just to have a cool new toy :D

17. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

XMBC has compiled now just trying to work out how to transfer it to an SD card since I compiled it on a VM. Also setting up the network may take time.

I am using SDHC class 10 8GB cards, made by Transcend. Not sure which makes work to be honest. I picked these because RS offered the option of buying a 2GB Transcend with the PI. It is known that most if not all micro sd cards do not work and generally high class SD cards can have issues, particularly Sandisk ones.

18. Meaty Pete

Well thats a bummer cos I was planning to use all the micro sd cards I have lying around with an sd adaptor

Last edited: 13 May 2012
  19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Mines due end of this month, Hoping i can bolt this to the back of my monitor and after some coding get a wireless mouse and keyboard to work and for it be able to talk to my NAS. If so epic win ahead!

20. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Your overclocking attempts are LAME! Go LN2, then brag about it! :thumb:

In seriousness, I want one so I can build it INSIDE a keyboard. That would be sweet! Anyone know of anyone who has done that yet?