1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Final Call to Arms

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by phoenicis, 20 Jun 2009.

1. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

With the CPChimps approaching the finishing line over the next five days, the window is swiftly closing on CPC/bit-tech team members to be part of the historic moment when we finally cross the line.

Anything you can throw at it, even if it’s only one client, will help us finish all the quicker and will be greatly appreciated by everyone already chimpin. Just think, you will be able to tell your grandchildren that you were in the thick of it, right to the end, when they ask what part you played in snatching 7th place from the jaws of complete defeat (8th place) in our very first Chimp Challenge.

In the words of the immortal bard, as quoted by the indefatigable Arthur Buse recently,

And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here.
    (Henry V)​

So join up now and don’t miss out on the fireworks, press interviews and all night drinking session currently scheduled for sometime around Wednesday.

Set your clients to:
    username: CPChimps
    team: 35947

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Switching all PC Clients over to Chimps.

LETS ROCK!!!!!!!!

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I've got a couple of servers added & am searching for mobo's for other bits I've got

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Right it's ball out time.
    Managed to produce enough working machines to pull another 15-20k ppd.
    Still searching for more

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

If someone can point me in the right direction of getting my rig in sig folding, what clients and links I will join in for the fun for the last few days.

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You need the GPU2 client from Here.
    You can also run a VMWARE SMP client using the guide here

Set the username to CPChimps and the team to 35947

7. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Nice one mate :thumb: All the more appreciated for the fact that your in the fierce early stages of folding addiction and yet are willing to give up all your points for the team.

Great news captain. Did you manage to get the 3 x 8800GTX rig running sas? You're going to have a some serious output once we switch back to our own usernames. Own usernames? Struggling to remember that concept.

Welcome aboard Matticus :D. If you hit problems with anything, let us know. I'm going to what is likely to be a very wet bbq tonight but there's normally always someone around to help.

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

9. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

If only I could get out through our proxy in work I could add shed loads more stuff :wallbash:

10. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

Ok I installed the GPU2 client, is this just folding on my card, or using my CPU aswell? Got 48% usage on fahcore_11.exe, so I assume its folding on the core aswell?

Edit: Just a bit confused. I guess this isn't using my CPU? I looked at the display to see what was what, but when I close that, fahcore_11.exe goes down to very low cpu usage?

Last edited: 21 Jun 2009
  12. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

The GPU client uses very little of your CPU. For your Core2 Duo E8200 there are various CPU clients. There is a Windows SMP version , or you can install the VMWare player and use that to run a Linux SMP client.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download Stanford CPU client downloads page.

I tried the VMWare version myself yesterday and can't get the priority set right. The CPU client is set to low priority so that the GPU gets the bit of CPU time that it needs. Did not work for me, I will try again tommorrow.

13. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

What are you using to set priority Arthur? If you're OK using Prifinitty then I put together a bit of a guide on Uni's rack farm thread here.

When I mentioned that 'Bambam' wasn't looking very well yesterday, I was referring to the GPU client as well. I'm not sure whether priority is the cause of this but you should be getting 3K+ ppd with 511 wus on a 9800GT. Have you got fahmon set to measure the 'last 3 frames'?

14. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

If you've installed the systray GPU client then don't open the viewer. It's just eye candy and slows the client down.

For the CPU, I would follow saspro's and Arthur's recommendation and give the VMware SMP client a try whilst making sure that the GPU always gets priority using prifinitty.

15. Matticus

Matticus ...

Cheers for the info guys. I am about to set that SMP client up. Just need to do a touch of modding first :dremel: so my PC will be off.

So the GPU2 client is folding completely on my gpu, and the cpu usage I am seeing is purely to run the client. The high usage is when the display is running, I guess its using the CPU to render the display as its low res and the gpu is already working its socks off?

This SMP client, this will just use my CPU to fold something different to what my GPU is folding?

Sorry for the questions guys, but I am not clued up at all on folding.

Edit: Woop. Finished my first WU a minute ago, was on last night but I forgot and turned my PC on. fahmon says I am doing 4483 atm on my 8800GT, is that good? I read something about needing a 24 hour average, so its not a reliable way of calculating it.

16. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

The GPU client does use some CPU resources but with the latest nvidia drivers the load is quite small. This means you still have to ensure that the GPU client is given a higher priority than any CPU client to prevent it being bottlenecked.

The SMP client will fold an entirely different work unit to the GPU once you've set it up.

The ppd fahmon is reporting sounds pretty good for a 8800GT but it really depends on the WU it is processing. 353 point wus might go a little faster whereas 511 pointers will certainly run slower. The best way to measure is using fahmons 'last 3 frames' option which, if you left your pc on 24 hours and you received the same type of wu throughout, gives a good indication of the ppd.

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

Got my fans properly mounted on top for some serious radiator cooling goodness. Got the VMWARE smp client up and running. And both are being monitored by fahmon.

So hopefully I can provide some good points over the next few days.

Don't think I will be a full time folder, probably just drop in for these chimp challenge things. Or maybe in the winter so I don't have to turn the heating on.

One quick Q. When I installed vmware viewer, it has created another user, its hidden on the login screen, but it is there. Are there any consequences to removing this user? It is a bit of an annoyance as I now have to "login" ie press my name/pic everytime the system boots, I don't feel the need for a password on my main rig.

18. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Not sure why it has done this. Maybe because you didn't have a password protected administrator's account set up? A way to get round the irritation of having to log in each time you boot up is to run the command 'netplwiz' and then uncheck the box that says 'users must enter a username and password to use this computer'.

Congrats on getting everything set up and modded so quickly :thumb:

19. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

The 9800gt in Bambam has never been very good. It was worse until I discovered it had really old driver, like 173 or something, and upgraded the driver to 185.85. I have followed your guide on Uni's rack farm thread. I am now getting at least an extra 1k ppd for the chimp. Previously I was getting 1653 ppd from the GPU and 374 ppd from the CPU. Now I am getting 1600 ppd from the CPU and various readings, between 1500 and 2180 ppd from the GPU. I have got fahmon set to measure the 'last 3 frames'. Maybe it needs a while to settle down.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009