1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus unveils watercooled ROG ARES II graphics card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

dayum. will it play tetris?

3. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

my first impression is "wow thats ugly..."

But upon further review my opinion is "wow thats ugly... but ugly has some serious balls"

4. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Considering the work, money etc, to develop and manufacture this you have to wonder how they can make any profit from selling just 1000 units assuming there are 1000 people prepared to pay for them, on the other hand if the w/c parts are transferable or the w/c is added to other cheaper cards as standard they could be on to a winner, it would be great to see a range of w/cooled GPU's and it would be interesting to see what the GPU overclocking companies/sellers could do with them :geek:

5. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Someone has to put one in a mini-itx build some how

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I doubt they will make a penny on those, but rather just use it as a marketing device to sell more of the lower end cards.

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

An overclocked watercooled GTX 690 would have been a better comparison but maybe they couldn't match that?

8. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

What's with these ultra-high-end cards requiring three 8-pin power connectors? The card can't possibly pull 600W of juice so what's the point? Just to make sure no one is going to try to mate the card with sub-300 EUR power supply?

Even my 850W unit comes with only two 8-pin connectors. I'd imagine it would be plenty enough for even that card.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see more cards with AIO-watercooling solutions appear. Traditionally, high-powered GFX card has been the most loud component in a given rig, and whereas it's plenty easy (and pretty effective) to just strap a couple of pounds of heat pipes, cooling fins and a fan or two to cpu, it's not that simple on GPU. Hopefully these start to trickle down to a more mainstream products, too.

9. rocknroll237

rocknroll237 What's a Dremel?

Still running the original Asus Ares here, no lies.

Still got good performance, despite being a noisy *******. :D

10. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa! <wipes tear from eye />

Blimey. I know I predicted it'd be priced at the very top end of the top end, but I didn't think it'd be that bad. Wonder if they'll ever sell the full 1,000 units?

12. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

How did they arrive at that price :jawdrop:

The Asus ROG ARES II packs a pair of AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition GPUs, you can buy a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Windforce 3X 3072MB GDDR5 which are advertised (true or false?) as "Fastest single GPU graphics card on the planet" at Overclcokers.UK for £359.99 inc VAT so two would cost £719.98, that means that the added w/c costs £480...good luck with that :rolleyes:

Have to laugh at the photoshopped picture of two Asus ROG ARES II's in a case, no game on the planet can justify £2400's worth of GPU's :lol:

Last edited: 17 Jan 2013
  13. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

That's brilliant ... the fact that the manufacturer claims it needs 600W just for the card, two cards means 1.2kW ... we've not even started on the CPU/mobo part of the PC yet ... even a 1.5kW PSU would struggle, daisy chained PSU's anyone? :eek: