1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Defeat: Source Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 26 Sep 2005.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. GoTaLL

GoTaLL What's a Dremel?

looks sweet .. :) ..

3. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

Lookin' mighty sechsay. Quite frustrated at the way VALVe are distributing, however. Seems like they punish those who bought retail, don't know why they feel the need to do this...

Shamelessplug++

4. The_Pope

Why do you say that?

5. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

Because those of us (like me) who bought retail, without having Steam installed on their computers, bought without the awareness that there were other packages available. I would have bought the silver package, as I really would like having the extra games offered. However, there was no way for me to know that until after I bought the retail game, opened it, and installed it. Unless I were to download, install, and run Steam without an account (which I believe is possible, though I'm not sure) and check the game offerings before buying the game (which I received as a gift), there would be no way for me to know.

That's another thing. I got the game as a gift. It's not very easy to give someone the gift of a digital package through buggy software. And it just doesn't mean as much for someone to hand you their credit card and say "go order yourself your game package". Just isn't the same, by a long shot.

At least allow people to upgrade. Let me pay the extra $20 and get the silver package contents. I'd gladly do it, and it's nothing to them. A few megabytes of download from their servers which have an insane amount of bandwidth, to the files that were already there. Not exactly an inconvenience for them. It just seems like I'm being punished for buying something that cost them. I'm well sure it cost them more to print the CDs, box them, include the manuals, ship them to retailers, and market them than it does to allow people to download them. If they don't want people buying retail box, don't offer it. Otherwise, don't punish me for it. Just let me upgrade, tis all I want to do, and it's free money in their pockets :blah:

6. The_Pope

Well, retail owners like you & me are Half-Life 2 Bronze.
    So, one could've paid $59.95 nearly a year ago and waited this long for DoD: Source, or paid US$49.95 (or in your case, nothing as it was a gift) and still had HL2 + CSS etc

Well, you kinda can mate - pay $20 and get DoD: Source today, and that's basically the same, isn't it?

7. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

I actually priced this out shortly after I posted. For a "Bronze" level person to get to the "Silver" level, which comes with the additions of: DOD:Source and Valve's BackCatalouge, one would have to buy every other package deal VALVe offers. This includes the "DOD:Source", for $20.00, the "Valve Premier Package", which has everything in the BackCatalouge with the exception of CS:Condition Zero, and CS:CZ seperately. The Valve Premier Package is $20, the CS:Condition Zero expansion alone is $15. So, one has to pay for DOD:Source: $20, plus Premier Package: $20, plus CS:CZ: $15. $55 extra dollars is what it would take to make a Bronze package equal to a Silver package, which is offered for $20 more.

Why make Bronze owners pay $55 to get the Silver contents, which are only $20 more? Why can't they offer a DOD:Source + VALVe BackCatalouge package for $20, making a Bronze package equal to a Silver package?

EDIT: I really hope this makes sense, as it didn't to me on a second read-through. It's 4AM, have to give me a break :/

8. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

great stuff, I had no idea it was going to use HDR either. awsome stoof!
    cant wait till I get home from work tonite, I'll have a second supprise :D

9. girln00b

girln00b Guest

Whats the first?

...This is gonna be fantastic :D

10. The_Pope

Adnuo - I guess you're technically right mate, but I was ignoring the backcatalogue stuff because it's all so old. For most people, Retail + $20 DoDS = Silver.

11. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

Yeah, true. I just don't have the back games yet :/. Little behind the times I guess, but it would be nice to have the older classics. Live and learn I guess :p

12. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

i thought the collectors edition of the retail game was the silver package? seems though that you still dont get dod source with it.

13. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

Collector's Edition is Gold, comes with all the goodies (posters, hats, books, T-Shirts, CDs, public verification of geekdom certificate). Silver comes with DOD:S :)

14. The_Pope

Yeah, it seems nice in theory, but I can't imagine ever playing them tbh. Once you have new & shiny toys to play with, you tend to ignore the older ones. For example, I've never completed the original Half-Life single player, but I'm not about to go back and do it now just to say that I have.

Draw a line in the digital sand and move on :D

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Dod really, really needed this. I have my $20 ready for when I next boot my gaming rig :D

16. The_Pope

I gotta share: 10 vs 10 is GOOOOOOD :D

Thank god for laptop + desktop :p

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I want my gaming rig back :waah:

18. Cavedweller

Cavedweller What's a Dremel?

Adnuo: First of all. There was _no_ way DoD: Source could have been included in the retail package. Simply because VU is not the owner of the distribution rights of that particulair game.

Secondly. If you had no knowledge of the Steam packages you can hardly blame anybody but yourself. Any website reporting steam news had run several stories about the packages and their prices. If you missed all of them you must've been living under a rock at the time, and hence, you wouldn't be considered the target group.

That being said, I totally agree it sucks you can't upgrade any package.

19. The_Pope

Take it easy mate - he's just annoyed at missing out s'all

20. Cavedweller

Cavedweller What's a Dremel?

Oh... I had no intention of sounding hostile or anything 8( Sorry 'bout that.
    Just trying to inform, 'cus there are many who doesn't know why VU didn't (couldn't) include DoD:S

English is my second language and i belive that was just proved 8)

Tags: Add Tags