1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding power tools

Discussion in 'Modding' started by yogi6994, 15 Aug 2012.

1. yogi6994

yogi6994 What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone here at bit-tech!!!!
    This is my first post here and I don't known if this is the right place to post this, if it's not I apologize!
    My dad has a black & decker set of power tools, the problem is: the battery life on them sucks!!!
    So I want to wire them so that they can be plugged into the wall outlet and work that way, instead of the battery.
    I can use all the help I can get, so any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated :D

Thanks again for reading my post!!!

P.S. I love the modding forums :thumb:

2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

as a rule battery power tools uses 12-18V DC. and in wall outlet You have 220v (or 110v) AC.
    so You need power supply unit to fed tools with adequate voltage (+/- 0.5-1V is OK IMHO) and more important adequate wattage (+15-25% desirable).
    for 12v tools typical 350-400W PC PSU will be OK
    for other voltages one have to make/buy PSU

3. yogi6994

yogi6994 What's a Dremel?

So all I need is a PSU and to wire the tools and I should be good to use them?
    Also how would I figure out wich wires to use? Thanks for the help :)

4. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

for using PC PSU:
    -make sure that Your power-tools uses 12v (as a rule written on battery)
    -make sure that PSU can draw desirable power on 12V - see tool and PSU specs
    -disassemble battery pack and solder +12v wire (yellow, better from 4-8 CPU connector) for "+" and black from same PSU connector for "-". one can lengthen wires with appropriate wires 14-18AWG
    -attach disassembled and soldered battery pack to powertool and You ready to rock
    -to turn PSU on shorten green and black wire at 20-24 pin connector for MB with paper clip, for long term use - solder rocker switch to green and any black wire from 20-24 pin connector.
    make sure for proper wiring, soldering, isolation etc. all modification on Your own risk etc.