1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs First Impressions: The iPlayer Beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

You're not wrong there. Just the 5 years of legal work alone paved the way for all these great VOD services we have today.

Also, allow me to lower the tone and be the first one on these forums to say the joke you've probably been hearing your entire life:

Paul, do you give Good Head?

Welcome :thumb:

3. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Welcome onboard dude!

I to am a huge fan of the iPlayer and whilst I was a little unsure about the need for changes, these changes haven't killed off the idea of using the iPlayer.

I know people who are permenantly on social networking sites and will be thrilled at this addition to the iPlayer. Me, I'd rather watch in peace and relaxed without the disruptions.

4. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Is it just me or does Paul's photo make him look like the offspring of Alex and Joe?

Oh, and welcome to bit-tech and Custom PC I guess. Ask Joe to show you that inside his slipper is the perfect indentation of his foot - it's thrilling!

5. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

iPlayer is one of the PCs killer Apps, sure it's convenient on a PS3 or STB but there's no HD content on PS3 and Virgin's iPlayer is clunky very clunky to use compared to either.

I'm sure there's a decent argument for using your Licence number for use of their HD content.

ITVPlayer, 4oD and Demand5 are still playing catch-up.

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I tried the beta, but I couldn't find the most popular section on the front page so I didn't know wtf to watch, so Im back on the old site now :s

7. CardJoe

IT...LIVES!

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Don't be conned into having 'a ride' on Harry's beanbag.

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I love iPlayer. Just wish they'd talk to Adobe and get Flash 10.1 hardware acceleration working with it again. I'm having to use a monster CPU in my media server to watch anything in HD since Ion doesn't take the load any more.

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If the content on BBC would be available to view from my country, then I might find it a good thing too....

11. CardJoe

At least you don't have to cover costs as part of your TV Licence fee though....

12. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Thanks NuTech, and yeah, I've heard one or two jokes like that before :waah:

This has been mentioned in the office. Alex is building a race of super soldier journalists, all fashioned in his image...or something like that.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

That's the funny thing about it... I can watch it on Sat perfectly fine without paying the fees, just like the rest of the european television, still I'm getting blocked in the net.
    Additionally, if I use a british proxy, then I can watch the BBC-stuff :facepalm:

Limitations to countries is the worst thing people came up with imho....

14. CardJoe

:worried:

Think how tall that staff would be!

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Meh, we have to pay our own licence fee (not too shabby) and DON'T get a killer feature like an IPlayer... :grr:

From Finland you need quite a big dish for sattelitebased-BBC, no? More than 60cm?

16. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Last time I ask Alex for some tea then, he'll be spiking it with growth hormones... :S

Material likes this.
  17. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Urgh, there is no call for it to be attached to social networking but at least you don't have to be I suppose. Can anybody give some justification as to why it is interesting to know what your friends are watching on iplayer?

18. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

So you know what they really like watching, not what they think they're supposed to say they like watching.

19. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

It's actually becoming quite a popular idea.

Boxee is doing it as well. It will show you what your friends have been watching and if there is a (legal) download/stream available, it will take you right to it.

For a HTPC, I think it's a really cool idea.

20. Lamebot

Lamebot What's a Dremel?

=Win.

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2010
    Material likes this.
Tags: Add Tags