1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossfired HD7770's - no joy recognising by client

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Ptarmigan, 15 Sep 2012.

1. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan What's a Dremel?

Hi all, I recently upgraded from a Core2Quad rig courtesy of a friend upgrading so I have some of his old kit:

I7 975 EE
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 mainboard,
    12GB Ram triple channel
    2x Sapphire HD7770 OC Ghz Edition (run at 1150/1250Mhz clock/Ram)
    Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

Well, I'm turning over about 15-18k ppd in 12 hrs a day using just the CPU here which is dandy, but I'd like to make use of both the HD7770's ...and the Client is just not recognising them - maybe because they are factory OC - not sure? Can anyone shed any light please?:D

2. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

i think you need to run the gpu's seperate and not in crossfire...

also you may have to download a gpu.txt file im not 100% sure but im sure someone who does will be along shortly :)

also the ATI gpu's are not great for folding and you will need keep a cpu core spare for each GPU as ATI's require a core each to fold.

which will hurt your smp score :grr:

3. Ptarmigan

4 physical and 4 virtual cores - I may (not sure) get more benefit from the two GPUs than I lose.. we'll see if I can only get it working lol.

4. Ptarmigan

Sorted up and folding - 3 clients.

5. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Good. For those who follow, how did you do it?

6. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I have a few questions Ptarmigan, if you don't mind:

1. What kind of ppd do the 7770 produce? Is the impact on the CPU client noticeable?
    2. How do the Sapphires cope with the stress generated by folding? What kind of temperatures are you seeing? Does the noise increase significantly?
    3. Although unrelated to folding, I have to ask you this: how do you find gaming in Crossfire with the 7770s? Encountered any issues?

I'm thinking of going for one 7770 now, and maybe another in 6-12 months' time for gaming and possibly folding too. Their unbelievably low power consumption (for their performance) just won me over.

7. kirk46

to your first question...

all ATI gpus use a full core to fold so it will hurt your cpu ppd

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Full core you say?

9. kirk46

yep :)

where as nvida uses a fraction on that

10. Ptarmigan

Hi all, sorry about the absence - work has kept me away. Reet. First off I set my machine to run 6 cores - no great loss as that leaves two cores to run the HD7770's - one each - doddle :) as to how many ppd, depends - I am currently showing a system ppd between 18k and 25k per day depending on the work units available not massive but more than enough to pop me from off the table to top 600 by the end of this weekend - that said there's not many folks active til you get to that sort of zone - but I'm showing 574149 points from 283 work units to date with another about to pop. The two graphics cards are contributing about 11k ppd to that between them.

Noise - not that bad tbh - I am now running in an Antec 302 case with a full complement of fans and if I leave the machine to do its own thing it runs at 60deg c on the cpu and 50 degrees constant on the gpus - noise level is total of about 40 dbA estimate - I've done sound level tests before so that's not far out - I'm using quiet fans and a big tower cooler on the cpu which keeps the noise down. - It's bearable and quieter than my typing!

Gaming-wise - no issues to date - run WoW, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, Age of Empires Gold edition and Children of the Nile to test some old ones and no issues whatsoever yet - Skyrim runs happily on ultra settings all round. I also tried the Heaven benchmark and got a very respectable score with no issues. Hope that helps.

11. Ptarmigan

Back to the question of how - I had to dpwnload the GPUs.txt file - make sure it has the s on the end or it doesn't work - installed, restarted, off we go no problems :) (thanks to folk on here and on the official FAH forums for their help)

12. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I take it you're using the v7 client under Windows?

13. Ptarmigan

Hi Chicken76, yes - V7, Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

14. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Have you tried the 6.34 SMP console client and a couple of GPU2 clients?
    Their ppd production may not fluctuate so much with the WU.

15. Ptarmigan

hmm - I'll have a look at that once the current tests complete - I'm testing to see what BigAdv jobs look like running the CPU solo on a 12% oc (currently sitting at 3727Mhz, 55 degrees centigrade flat out, on air tower cooler with some overhead still in my fans)