1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice URGENT Dell c521

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by numanoid, 9 Apr 2015.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Hi guys
    The nice lady that runs a youth centre for disabled kids has just brought the pc she uses for her accounts, the dell will not turn on, apparently one of the kids pressed the on/off button and now the button wont work....I have a spare case sitting in the loft, can I put all the internals into that case....plus how do you take the sides off the damn thing lol
    thanks guys.....she needs it sorting asap as she needs to get to the accounts...thanks guys

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

You won't be able to transplant that rig into a standard ATX case unfortunately, it's a non-standard motherboard designed to fit in that specific case.

Best bet is to try and fix the power button, replace it from eBay, or put an aftermarket one on there. In the short term, you could fire it up in situ using the header pins and tell her to leave it on (locked) when she's not using it.

To open it simply pull that black clip away from the back of the case and it will pop open.

3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Unfortunately Dell used a different format for the C521 so it wont fit in a standard ATX case. Your best bet might be to bodge a switch on the front somewhere and tap it into the wires leading to the current switch.

Edit: What the ultimate moderator said ^.

4. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

5. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I've got one of these. There's a catch on one of the sides of the case, you pull that and the lid comes loose and it comes off easily :)

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If there's a reset switch why not wire that into the power switch as a temporary stop gap. You can get the part and fit it later.

7. Shirty

I seem to recall this only has a single button - we have one at work running some old legacy software on XP.

Guess this thread wasn't as urgent as the title implied eh? :D

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Actually it was; I have a message from numanoid saying that the accounts didn't get done and he's in jail for tax evasion :(

Shirty likes this.
  9. Shirty

Wow, the Revenue don't hang around these days do they?!

In memory of the OP, who will now die in custody.

10. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Alas, poor Numanoid.
    We barely knew thee.
    :)

11. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Haha funny you guys :duh:, sorry its took a while answering, had to nip away for a few days(nowt to do with tax evasion :hehe: )...all sorted now, the power button was worn, I just glued a jumper (nothing with sleeves before you give a funny comment :hehe: )onto the button, see how long it lasts...if that don't work ill get some of that plasic moulding stuff off ebay and do something with that.....thank you again guys
    take care...:thumb: