1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics amd sapphire r290 black screening

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Concrete-Coffin, 24 Apr 2015.

1. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

as the title goes has anybody on the forums had any issue with black screens with this make of card my m8 is having bother he updated the driver to the omega when it came out he said it took a hissy fit started making funny noises and loads of colored artifacts since then its keeps black screening

so ive reset windows 7
    tried different drivers but it still black screens
    also down clocked the card --1st Profile Core Voltage +25, Core Clock 875, Memory Clock 950

any info would be great

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Mine's done that when it's got to toasty, what's your cooling situation like?

3. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Does this black screen stick, or is it just a second then normal image reappears?

I always want to ensure good power before digging into suspected hardware issues so if me, I would swap in a known good PSU.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Mine was a sod for black screening. I upgraded my PSU and installed the omega drivers and it's been fine since (touch wood)

5. Concrete-Coffin

temps are around 70c full load
    its seems to just shut down stays black screen but pc still on
    and this is his system spec
    i3 2100
    ga p67 ud3p f8 bios
    corsair rm 850

thanks for the replys

6. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

If that is your CPU temp, that could be your problem. While 70°C is not damaging, it is high. I don't like my CPU temps to sit above 60°C for more than a couple seconds.

Because of the graphics artifacts, I would still want to ensure everything is getting good power by swapping in a good PSU. But you also need to make sure the interior, vents, and heatsinks are all clean of heat trapping dust.

Note it is the case's responsibility to provide a sufficient supply of cool air flowing through the case. So you may need to add another case fan.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

For the CPU 70 under full load (ie. Primes) doesn't sound tooo unreasonable to me, especially if using the stock cooler. And if it's the GPU temp then as far as I know on a 290 that's fairly typical.

Even with a power hungry 290 the rest of the system should mean the PSU gives plenty of headroom.
    I'd say it sounds like a bad GPU to me. Either that or a big issue with cooling the GPU. Unless something's totally blocked or jammed though that's likely an issue with the card itself too.

Also possibly a dodgy PSU I suppose, but I'd say the card was a more likely candidate.

8. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

I agree. It "sounds" like the card, but a since a bad PSU can cause any component problems, it really needs to be eliminated from the equation.

Might not hurt to swap monitors to, just to make sure the problem is not on that side of the cable.

9. Concrete-Coffin

cpu temps are ok but the 70c is gpu temp full load all vents are clean

10. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

70°C for the GPU is no big deal. They typically run warmer than CPUs. Then IMO, you need to swap monitors and PSUs and see what happens.