1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for advice from those that work in the UK IT industry

Discussion in 'Serious' started by David164v8, 5 Oct 2015.

1. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

So in about three months, I'll need to submit my UCAS application and I still have no idea what I want to put on it.

I've been looking at software engineering/computer science, and they seem like courses that would suit me. I've always been interested in technology (how else would I end up on this forum?), and I know that doesn't necessarily mean I'll enjoy working with it all day, but it seems like as good a reason as any. Nothing else I could really do, like Chemistry or Biology etc particularly stands out to me.

Here were my results at AS (Just started A2)

Biology - A
    Chemistry - B
    Physics - B
    History - C

Out of those four, I've dropped Physics. I like History more and believe I can pull the grade up, so that's why I kept it on.

Realistically, I'd say I could get ABB as my final A-level grades.

So to give you guys something to write, I'll put down a few of my big questions.

1. What do you feel the opportunities are for someone taking these sorts of degrees are now?

2. In terms of working abroad, what are my chances like? This has always been a long-term goal of mine.

3. I know there's a lot written about this, but what would you pick given the choice between computer science and software engineering?

4. For either of those two degrees, QUB is my first choice with entry requirements of ABB. I still need to pick 4 more Uni's though, likely somewhere on the mainland. Are there any names I should be looking for in particular? Unfortunately I notice that a lot are asking for maths, which rules me out.

5. On the subject of maths, just how mathematical will I find it? I wouldn't say I'm bad at maths, nor that I particularly dislike it. Its just that I never considered it as something I was interested in.

Thanks for reading everyone, no need to answer the questions exactly, I'm just looking for opinions really.

2. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Check out University of Hull (no, seriously). They have one of the longest running computer science courses and I have several friends who've studied it there. Its got a good reputation and is a great (and cheap) place to live as a student.

Maths is important, you can't get away from that. If you understand technical concepts then you may find that's enough for you to pick up what you need when you need it.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Software isn't about maths. 99% of the time, all you need to know about is adding subtracting multiplying dividing and remainders. That's about it maths wise, in the real world at least. Graphics programming may be different, I don't have any experience in that though, so maybe someone could chime in there. Your degree course may have some mathematical modules in it though so if you really struggle with maths you may find that aspect difficult.

Software is about problem solving first and foremost. As a software developer people will need the software to do something (or not do something) and you have to find a way to make that happen. The key trait I think is that you enjoy brain challenges. Generally software is about being rational and following a clear thought process. Learning about languages and techniques, then deciding when and which of these techniques to use.

In theory software engineering is about using established techniques to build and develop software efficiently. Computer science is about applying scientific method to computing to discover new knowledge. In practice there's probably not a huge amount of difference at an undergraduate level.

As for which to choose, it probably doesn't matter. Once you are out of college and with only a college education and college project experience you aren't a huge amount of worth to anyone. Its those first few years of employment that will define you more than the college you attend.

When it comes to computing, kids these days don't have any excuses. Unlike many courses you can get a feel for software right now. Head to the new Boston or sign up to 10 free days on Lynda (needs a credit card, but you can cancel directly after signing up to prevent billing and the ten days works fine) Go and learn some programming and see if you like it.

Edit:
    Also check out computerphile to get an idea of an academic perspective of computers.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Computerphile

Last edited: 5 Oct 2015