1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Soon able to re-sell Games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by vdbswong, 3 Jul 2012.

1. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

OK, that's interesting! I await with baited breath. This could be big.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've never really understood why you weren't allowed.

You can buy a dvd for £10, play it as many times as you like and sell it, you can buy an Xbox game and play it for months and then resell it so why not downloadable games.

It would be even easier to stop people selling a game they own to someone and keep a copy for themselves to keep playing if said games were purchased through the likes of steam as they would just disappear from your library once sold.

I've recently purchased to PSP GO's which had several games on each but once you download some new games via your own account you lose access to the others, I knew this would happen but it's still annoying.

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

It wasn't allowed because it let them cut out the second-hand market. I Do suspect, however, that it'll become more common that steam will simply add money into your steam-wallet for the "Sale".

Even more common, I suspect, would be the trading of games between people, outright swapping one game for another. That would actually be kinda awesome.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm looking forward to this, I've purchased several games on Steam I've regretted, would mean I'd be able to buy some new ones :D

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yes I got that, let me re-phrase it, I never understood why they were allowed to do it.

If they had their thinking caps on right at the beginning and set up a 2nd hand market through steam they would probably have made a killing.

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Assuming any one wants to buy them ;)

Even if you only got Steam dollars for the sale I'd still say its a positive move.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The main thing they would have to contend with is setting a value for 2nd hand items. That and ensuring that items bought on sale can't be sold for profit.

9. GeorgeStorm

Most people seem to enjoy L4D2, I'm sure I'll find someone wanting to buy it :p
    Any money is good money

10. Phalanx

Or just allow people to sell to each other. End of. Less stress for them. Plus I imagine the EU thingy in the OP says that selling isn't the same as simply giving the game back to Steam for a certain price. Who are Valve to tell me what one of my games is worth? It's worth what I am willing to take for it and what the other person is willing to part with for it.

11. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

Mixed feelings about this, I can see it buggering up online retailers a bit.

If its a completely free system i guess someone will set up a trading website (if someone doesn't, i will), and all prices will pretty much shadow steam/origin, since there will always be high demand, and buying a second hand downloadable is no different to buying a new one at all.

If the money goes back into your steam wallet when you sell a game to someone, steam are sort of losing sales for every game traded.. Maybe the awesome prices will be forced to change to reflect that..

I'm not sure this is the pure awesome it seems to be.

12. .//TuNdRa

It's possible that steam may turn around and go "Yes. You can sell them second-hand, but we have to claim x% of each sale."

That would also ensure that you can't just keep trading games and earning moneys.

13. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

Yeh that's what got me thinking, what's to stop me buying a game at say 95% of its value from the steam-game-trading-website.com, playing it through and then selling it on to someone at the same price on the same website. Essentially free gaming, or if you are clever, gaming for a profit.

In the end only the people that will pay for a game are people on release day, and anyone desperate when noone is selling. I can't see retailers and developers surviving on that.

14. .//TuNdRa

Perhaps it'll be a case of "You must own game x days before it can be traded." so it'll stop people just buying games, finding they're crap, instantly trading them on to get the money back.

Either that or there will be a limit to the amount you can trade within x time. to stop people from just constantly passing games back and forth between people to make money.

15. GeorgeStorm

I hadn't thought of that, this is even better than I thought, I can play games legally for free :D

16. .//TuNdRa

The only issue I see is that, if steam do decide to start keeping track of how much each game was purchased for; Database sizes are going to go up times over just to hold all that extra info. Stuff might not be cheap on steam for a while as they try and recoup the costs of all that extra storage.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

hmmmm how would this effect wow accounts etc?

18. Phalanx

It wouldn't. The game itself and an account on someone else's system is something different entirely.

19. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

What about free games in your STEAM List, can you re-sell them? When I mean by free. You got them with a gfx card for example.

20. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Maybe it might be like some Xbox titles (mistly EA i think), some titles include a code for online play (Mass effect3, need for speed the run) if you use the code the next person to buy the game needs to pay around £7 iirc to get a new code to unlock online multiplayer.

Also they probably wont make it easy, i believe you can make backup copies of DVDs/GAmes/BluRays etc but the general public wont have a clue. Infact i remember when i was younger trying to create a copy of a DVD for backup, couldnt figure it out lol.