1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: FrozenFire (MORE!! Watercooling changes Sep 8 05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Firehed, 14 Feb 2005.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=98614&page=1&pp=20

Pics above. Comments below.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1070966#post1070966

Those are the links for the new Project Logs stuff. Please use those from now on.

* Editing the title for the millionth time, I'm realizing how out-of
    * date the specs are :/ The post will remain intact but the current
    * specs are as follows (and will continue to change)
    * Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | AMD64 Athlon X2 3800+ Dual Core (@2500MHz right now)
    * 1GB OCZ PC4000 | 36GB WD Raptor | Maxtor 300GB/16MB SATA
    * Chaintech AV-710 7.1 sound w/ optical out | Lite On DVD+/-RW DL 16x
    * Lian Li 6-in-1 media card reader | LL v2000
    * All watercooling by Aqua Computer, except the C-systems pumps
    * Cuplex XT | Modded AquagraFX6800 | Twinplex | 2x Airplex Evo 120mm
    * Plug+Cool 6/8mm tubing | Aquatube Titan. | CSP-MAG | CSP-750 Mk2

My v2000B mod, about a year in planning with many changes and new ideas, has finally commenced!

As there are almost 100 pics for just this first section (in the photogallery, not nearly that many below) I'll let you add your own commentary. It's not nearly done - I have lots of ideas that I don't wanna give away yet, and need to do a lot with the PSU and watercooling.

The goals for the mod are to keep the elegance of a Lian Li intact, while maintaining and increasing functionality and looks. I'm not going for something incredibly flashy although the WC loop will be UV based. A lot of my lighting ideas are based around that - I have a really cool way that I plan to do fan and light control thanks to a page I found on cpemma's site.

However here's the hardware that'll be eventually going into it (the *'d stuff I still need)

Asus A8N-SLI
    AMD Socket 939 3000+ "Winchester"
    *2x 6800GT in SLI
    1GB OCZ PC4000 Gold (2.5-4-4-7) 2x512MB
    WD Raptor, 36GB
    2x 80GB SATA drives
    *250-300GB SATA drive w/ NCQ and 16MB Cache
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Antec True550 EPS12v PSU
    Dual Lite On DVD burners (I kinda accidentally upgraded one, but no complaints)
    4x20 Character LCD by CrystalFontz
    Lian Li 6-in-1 reader

Probably some other stuff I'm not thinking of.

Anyways, this mod will feature my new(ish) German watercooling parts, and a set of converted American pumps:
    2x CSP-750 Pumps
    1x Cuplex Pro
    3x Twinplex (2x GPU, 1x Chipset)
    1x Aquatube w/ mounting bracket, Aquajet and LED mod
    2x Airplex Evo 120's
    All Plug&cool tubing (6mmID 8mmOD)
    For more info on the WC stuff, check out SNT-systems.com which is my main supplier and AFAIK the only one in the US for most of that stuff.

For all of the pictures that I took, check out the gallery courtesy of the Photoshop automater:
    ------
    http://www.1sweetpc.com/firehed/v2000/feb13/index.html
    ------
    And for the lazy, just check out a few pics. Not nearly all of them but enough to get the idea across a bit. The thought of getting almost 100 pics in the order I want them *again* pains me a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Questions? Comments? And before you ask (if you were going to) - I don't have that much financing for the mod, in fact I don't even have a job right now (lazy 17yr old...), I just don't have other expenses to worry about right now. Not to menton I've been saving since planning began so long ago.

And of course, thanks so far to... well... everyone at Bit-tech really. You're such a supportive community and are always encouraging new mods. A huge thanks to Modsquad whose Black Narcissus project has provided a lot of ideas and inspiration (although I'll end up taking ideas from a lot of the v1000/v2000 mods that are around here, quite a few now!). Sorry to keep you begging for me to start my log for so long MS - I love the modding but all the formatting work pains me (hence the use of the automater:D)

Last edited: 22 Sep 2005
  2. Pistol

Pistol Guest

^^^^^^^^^^ the rad looks like its bending the fan, it looks tilted.

3. Firehed

On the front mount? Yeah, it is a little bit. I'm considering fabricating a new mount for it that would attach on the top and the sides so that wouldn't happen, but it doesn't look like it will be a problem right now. I need an M3 tap before I can do that anyways. I should add that to my list...

4. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

Damn fine setup without much financing! Good luck these cases are bootyfull

5. Firehed

Heh thanks.. I'll need it. The thought of doing the window scares me since it's THICK aluminum (~2mm) and a replacement side panel is right now near-impossible to find.

6. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

You decided to use Sandman's project name? That's low... :duh:

J/K...nice work you've done so far. Keep it up! :thumb:

7. Firehed

didn't even know lol, it was an idea thrown out by Modsquad and I liked it

8. fei

fei What's a Dremel?

very nice setup
    wished i could of had that kinda stuff when i was 17 :)

9. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I like what I see :D Lian Li & Aqua-Computer: a marriage made in heaven..Boy that V2000 is BIG!! Those handles on top are original. Nice clean cuts by the way. Your off to a great start Firehed..
    Just an idea, but how about some blue acrylic under the handles and the AC aquatube mounting plates (just a few mm larger than the units in question).
    Now that you started your project log, I can complain/ask for "more updates".. :
    It's been 24 hours, where is our update :hehe:

Last edited: 14 Feb 2005
  10. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

@ Firehed where did you purchase or find the handle ? this is just what Im looking for..

Thx

11. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

Believe he got them here: http://www.mnpctech.com/HDhandle.html

12. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Nice case Firehed :hehe:

Do you know if there's enough room for the Twinplex on the Nforce4 chipset in combination with the two 6800 GT videocards? As you know I have the same motherboard and want to use the Twinplex for cooling the chipset. ( I have changed my order for the videocards to the 6800GT cards because my watercooled PSU is not enough to meet the PSU recommandation from NVIDIA on their website. Just to be on the save side. )

You're bookmarked. Good luck with your MOD.

b.t.w. I expect to update my project log within the next two weeks. I'm waiting for some parts. I need the DVD drives before I can finish the frontplates and the motherboard for the stealthplate.

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

IMO the black v-series looks a lot better than the silver ones. Looks like some damn fast pieces you're putting in there as well! It might be powerful enough to drive you to work if you hook the CPU up to the wheels :worried:

<A88>

14. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

looking great dude

Good luck with it

- S

15. Firehed

yeah, although I found something that looks identical at allelectronics (search for "flip") for $3.50.

Franklin - yes, but you NEED to use an ATI screen instead of NF4 and have the block rotated slightly. There are a couple of caps that will get stuck underneath the mounting screen if you don't causing partial contact with the chipset and fry it. Note my RMA thing in the sig...

MS - I like the acrylic idea although I'm not sure about blue (although blu3 did a nice job doing it). The good thing is that the handle doesn't need to take much weight - as the the pic shows, it's just for pulling the case using the wheels rather than lifting it.

I was amazed how big it is when I got it. Note it next to the v1000 box in a couple pics (for a friend's comp).

I've done a little bit of sleeving but need more parts before I can get much else done :( Hopefully my new pump housings come soon too.

16. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

Very cool, didn't know you could find them for that much. :) How do they "feel" to you? (They don't feel flimsy or cheaply made do they?)

Can't wait for your next update.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2005
  17. -Enforcer-5716M4

-Enforcer-5716M4 What's a Dremel?

Nice specs. Though I must say that there isn't much originality in these V1000 "casemods"...

18. duggyb

duggyb What's a Dremel?

looking good so far

about how much is a Alu case that size???

THNX
    Duggy :dremel:

19. Firehed

The MNPCtech ones feel very high quality and extremely sturdy. They use ten bolts to mount to the case which is more than enough (you can easily swing the case around by a single handle). On top of that they're springloaded so the handle stays down when not in use (but not so much tension that they're hard to pull up). I may just pick one up from AllElec just to check (I need other stuff there for some fan and light control, more on that later), but the MNPCtech ones are great and I'd definately recommend them. If you didn't notice I'm changing the stock flat-head screws over to hex-head bolts (the two on the ends are hex-heads left over from a pump mounting in a different case). I may try and get some matching black ones if possible but the stainless steel matches the AT bracket and contrasts nicely.

duggy, the v2000b was $240 at newegg, plus about $15 shipping. Not cheap at all, but the build quality is unbelievable, even better than most Lian Li cases. It's really a server case anyways, the smaller v1000 series costs about $190 I think. However a PC71 (v2000 size with a normal ATX layout, what I started the ideas around so long ago) is probably only $150 or so.

20. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Ok thx for the link, but living in Germany he wants 28 Dollars for postage. I know its normal price but when you only want 1 handle it starts to get expensive ...