1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Junctions

Discussion in 'Software' started by loftie, 8 Jan 2013.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

When I first got my SSD, I used a junction to move my temp folder from the SSD to a mechanical drive. I used a program - can't remember which one - to move it over. Now everything worked fine, the temp folder works, things are being written to the mechanical drive.

However I've been having issues with Plex. If you don't know what Plex is, think XBMC, or Media Centre. It's not been using artwork stored on my PC, even though it's downloaded it. Trawling through the error logs, I discovered that Plex could not find the Temp folder. Moving the Temp folder back to my SSD fixed the issue.

From what I understand of junctions, it's supposed to create a link which I thought was 'invisible' to programs. Which is why when I open any of the my junction folders, the address stays as on the C drive ( My SSD ) and doesn't switch to D ( Mechanical ).

Basically, I'm after a bit of clarification, and if anyone has any ideas why this one program doesn't find the temp folder if it's a junction.

Cheers all.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Not sure about the junction issue, but try moving the TEMP folder by using Path to point it to your mechanical drive instead.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Thanks for the response! Though you're going to have to explain what you mean as I have no idea :D

Cheers

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

The temp folder is one I'd rather have on the SSD myself... but I understand why you wouldn't want it there either.

Still... there is a difference between the types of links you can make. There is hardlink also... these are the transparent ones... and you'd use mklink to make one.

Could you use the old software to move it back and try again making sure it's a hardlink? Either with the same software or with mklink.

mklink instructions

mklink /h /j [link] [target]

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The only reason i would move something out of SSD is the case when there is not enough space on the drive. Any other reason is not logical - pretty much every SSD has their official lifetime around 200TB of writes - even at 5GB/hour write rate we talk about 40000 hours = 1666 days = 4.5 years of 24/7 write of 5GB data. In a more realistic scenario of 10 hours of computer use per day it is over 11 years.

And those are only the official numbers - there are few brave people who are testing the durability of various SSD drives, in most cases (except ones failing prematurely, mostly OCZ) you see write amounts from 400TB to 1000TB, with the champion Samsung 830 reaching 6PB (6000TB) before dying, and even Samsung 840 with TLC did 432.92 TB :
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm/page218

400TB, 5GB writes per hour, 10 hours of use per day - that is 21 years to kill the SSD by using up all the writes.

So please forget pretty much every SSD optimization you ever heard except turning AHCI on and connecting the SSD to the quickest SATA port you got. Those are the only ones you need to follow.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

+1 for that.

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

And enabling TRIM :thumb:

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I'll retry the links again. From what I remember, the reason why I moved it off the SSD in the first place was to do with video transcoding. But since I've been fairly busy lately I haven't done any lately so I can't remember! Cheers for the responses :)

9. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Assuming you mean the user temp folder i found moving it through environment variables under advanced system settings solved most issues for me.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Didn't know that was an option, learn something new every day :) Thanks for that