1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats currently the best folding hardware fellas?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 30 Jan 2015.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I hear Bigadv is stopping this month which is a shame as I mostly run them as only got 2 GPU's running at the moment and I see im dropping right down the ranks at the moment for the first time in about 5 years! :waah:

Soooo, what's the way to go now for best PPD per £? I assume it has to be GPU's, so million dollar question - Nvidia or AMD GPU's and what models people?

Is there a new comparison sheet up anywhere listing all the PPD from modern GPU's?

Also is Windows fine to run the v7 client for the CPU's?

Cheers fellas :thumb:

2. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

One GPU table here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmQ6YZGMTUpFdHhxNkptVncyR2k4dVV6WDBmQXRJYVE&gid=0

V7 client is fine for CPU's, but you'll need to keep a core per GPU, I think, to ensure it isnt throttled due to no CPU processing available. (well somat like that)

The only problem I am having with windows and GPU's is that I am still getting a high average of core 15 work units which totally destroy my PPD. I think linux might be a better bet as I dont think they can run core 15. ( I may be talking nonsense of course) :)

Personally I'd go nvidia if in windows as the driver is buggy, see debs post here. I also had same problems when I was running HD7970's in windows. I have no experience of AMD in linux though...

Hope that helps. :D

Last edited: 30 Jan 2015
  3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I don't know about PPD per £ when buying new cards, but for PPD per W I would have thought that the Maxwell GPUs are your best bet, but I can't say that for certain.

It's funny, I was thinking about posting a thread like this today (for PPD per £). Thanks for doing it for me.

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

PPD per £ would be GTX 970. PPD per W would be GTX 980.

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Nice easy answer there. Anyone seen any numbers out there yet for a 960?

6. wilding2004

wilding2004 What's a Dremel?

You've probably already got this info now, but 960's are getting between 140k-160kPPD on core17.

Just remember to keep to driver version 327

7. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Cheers guys and thanks for the link Scorpuk, will see how the coming months go as I have one of my 32-thread XP-Xeon rigs up for sale now, if that goes I will invest in a few GPU's and get back into the fold properly :)

8. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Hi Coolamasta.
    Have you sold your 32 thead Xeon rig? It might not be any good for folding now but it would probably be great for Climate Modelling on CPU's which is another project that I do. If you still have it what are the specs and what OS does it run? Cheers.
    Pete