1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Suggest a game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by craigp84, 31 Aug 2010.

1. craigp84

craigp84 What's a Dremel?

I'm not really a gamer, although i kind of dabble with games every so often so i'm not, not a gamer... I'd like to discover a game that makes me really like gaming. I have a PS3 and a fairly beefy PC i made last year, both are completely under utilised for gaming.

What game (new or old) would you suggest?

A bit about me -->

I've enjoyed (loved in fact) COD4 and MW2 on the PS3, these are the only games in my entire life i've completed. I flat out obsessed over both these games when they first came out. Single player had me hooked in COD4. MW2 not so much but still very very good. Both games i spent incredible hours on multiplayer. Loved these games, but little in the way of thought / strategy required.

Driving games entertain me, but only for a short while. Same for flight simulators. I guess i need tasks / goals in a game keep my interest.

I really like the accessibility of Left for Dead Survival mode on the PC, but i only seem to last 4 or 5 rounds before i get bored.

I want to like Fallout 3 because i think it would have the story element i want in a game. Reading other peoples posts a year back or so some folks were suggesting Fallout 1 and 2 were the top of that genre of game, so i bought both, but i flat out didn't enjoy the ~15mins of experience with Fallout 2 (or was it FO1?), the interface was too awkward for me so i gave in. I could go back to fallout 3 but it's not pulling me in enough, also i don't like the choose your avatar / customise this / choose the colour of your X -- components to that game.

I like strategy requirements in a game.

I'd like a story line, i'd like to come away from the game with that feeling i get when i've just watched a really good film.

Any game title suggestions gratefully recieved! :)

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

3. craigp84

thanks for the suggestion Redbeaver. I was kind of put off with the fantasy type characters on the home page but i made myself have a look at the introduction page.

That sounds quite appealing to me. I'm going to give this one a shot.

4. craigp84

Mass Effect 2 looks like a possible

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Fullout 3 the GOTY edition lots of side quest and morally grey and the GOTY edition has all the DLC's included.

Asassins Creed II another great game.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Haven't played 2 myself, but Mass Effect 1 was a blast with a great, albiet somewhat linear, story. Supposedly 2 really fixes all the problems and makes for a great game.

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Half Life 1 & 2 plus expansions and episodes.
    Team Fortress 2; no storyline, but hilarious.
    CS:S (you'll either get horribly addicted, give a resounding 'meh' or hate it)
    I've become quite hooked on BFBC2, the storyline isn't up to much but the multiplayer is absolutely ace.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, first of all, I'd play Crysis and Crysis Warhead. Nice, shooty games with the added element of managing your nanosuit!

As suggested by EvilMerc, the Half-Life series would be potential fun for you.

Mass Effect 2 would also be good. I'd urge you to play the original first but you do have to micromanage your team mates' skill levels and equipment more.

Teelzebub likes this.
  9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Max Payne 2.

/thread.

10. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

BFBC2.

Such a good COD alternative, and with squads etc. there is a strategic element (go for Rush servers).
    (Although, the multiplayer has no storyline, and I haven't even bothered with the singleplayer).

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

BFBC2 is a terrible example of PC gaming greatness, start with HALF LIFE for your FPS needs, for RTS id reccoment Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and the upcoming R.U.S.E.

general rule of thumb, ignore 80% of pc games released in the past 5 years unless you want shoddy hand me downs from the tard boxes (once you've tasted PC gaming greatness you will understand this)

12. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

YESYESYESYESYES

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Supreme Commander 2!

Once you use strategic zoom, you can't go back... Check it out here

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ignore him and see how its REALLY done.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'd suggest Supreme Commander 2, tbh. Plenty of Supreme Commander 1 fans will call it trash all day, but fail to give any reason why SupCom2 is bad on its own. Sure, there are plenty of "Well, it doesn't have this from SC1!" and that's all valid and true, but what is objectively bad about the game? Its scale is still on par with other RTS games out there. Its research tree system is fun and adds strategic depth. The factions are further varied compared to the original (which is actually one area where SC2 is superior to SC1). Gameplay is also simplified into a more managable form for those who don't enjoy playing Applied Economy: The Video Game. It's altogether a good RTS which is still quite enjoyable for those who never played SC1 (such as Parge I'm willing to bet).

16. Laser man

Laser man What's a Dremel?

Half life 1 & 2 plus all episodes and R.U.S.E!!

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I was a long time TA fan, SupCom came out, and I wanted to love it, but I just found it a bit to slow to kick off. I thought I'd give SupCom2 a go, since all the people who loved SupCom1 were complaining about it, and lo and behold, I love it.

The two are different games, with similar features. I prefer the tech tree of the latter, and find it more accessible, and ultimately, more fun. I do wish there where some more maps though.:thumb:

18. sizO

sizO What's a Dremel?

Mount and Blade Warband

Immense Game!!

19. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Half Life series on the basis of liking COD4 series both corridor shooters but done better in Half-Life series.
    I'd agree with those who suggest Mass effect 1+2 sits somewhere between the Corridor shooters and open world shooter/RPG that is Fallout 3 good for tactical firefights as well and has much better story than the games i've mentioned above IMO.

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Borderlands.