1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SilverStone demos pumpless watercooler

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 6 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. themassau

themassau What's a Dremel?

couldn't this be used for small builds, or maybe servers whit lots of small lower power chips that are packed very dense.

3. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

I'm pretty sure a pump is much louder and obnoxious than a few low-RPM fans... Not everyone has deaf ears, some people actually enjoy silence.

So the idea has merit, provided it cools better than air cooling with similar low-RPM fans.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Neat, even if it doesn't end up coming to market I'm liking the idea, one less part to fail if nothing else.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Try looking for pump comparisons with indications of loudness.
    I never found them, but then again I gave up on WC many years ago.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I was never entirely happy with the first H50's pump, it still has some noise. Glad to see Silverstone is innovating.

What I'd love is to see with this pumpless design is a flow sensor in the system, then have some fans spin up when water flow goes to certain level. Ta-dah! 100% automatic temperature sensing cooler.

To be honest, CPU idling up to 50c is nothing to worry about. Then under load, you can't really expect the 100w CPU to be cooled silently.

7. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

"Watercooler" without water that is in fact phase-change cooler, judging by the description provided.

Why not call it that ?

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

could they not use a thermoelectric heatpump to kickstart the cooling effect

9. AiA

AiA Minimodder

i don't think these type of devices are as good at cooling as devices with a pump

but might be good for systems that need some basic level of cooling, and needs quiet, reliable, and a compact solution
    (maybe military applications, or TV solutions )

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So first you say it's a watercooler and then you explain it's just scaled up heat-pipe technology and doesn't use water. Big difference.

I seriously doubt this can be made any more efficient than a 'passive' heat-pipe based cooler. After all it's basically the same tech isn't it, maybe with different evaporation / dew points that's all.

11. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Heatpipes evaporate at much lower temps don't they?

12. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Depends on several factors - diameter of the pipe, degree of the partial vacuum in the pipe, and the coolant used.

Given that they're showing clear, presumably plastic pipes of some sort, this isn't quite a heatpipe arrangement (which have a partial vacuum and some method of overcoming surface tension to allow the liquid to run back to the hot side).

Maybe, maybe not. It is somewhat like a scaled-up heatpipe arrangement like you find in a lot of laptops. Most of those use a radial fan to blow the hot air out. I think there would be a fairly healthy market for something that perform on par with high-end air cooling at least, and entirely passive and silent, which could turn out to be possible. I've recently had two PCs get a little flaky at work recently due to seized exhaust fans, and an entire office of PCs running 24/7 means there's no such thing as silence even after the HVAC system shuts down for the night.

I don't understand why everyone seems to be pissing on this - you think maybe companies shouldn't try to develop something new and different? Y'all should be grateful some smart nerd realized heatpipes would be good for PC applications or all our computers would sound like hairdryers. God forbid a company try to advance the tech for the good of us all.

Tags: Add Tags