1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama popularity worries me

Discussion in 'Serious' started by gar, 5 Nov 2008.

1. gar

gar Minimodder

You know, having watched all the Obama victory glory on tv tonight I got to thinking. Is this too good to be true? Can he deleiver what he says? Why are people so quick to tust him?
    Yes he's a polished preformer, but there's something that seems to me almost unatural about the way people have taken to him. He has not even started yet and seems to have some sort of messiah like complex.
    People must remember that this man is flesh and blood. He can't please all people. No man Ive heard of can do this. There should be unpopular decisions to be made, but the media potray this man as someone who WON'T put a foot wrong and I find that very niave and highly worrying to be honest.

I certinaly don't beleive he can pull America out of recession, but if he manages to it will be truly amazing to witness. I can't imagine how this could happen in even 4 years.

To me this whole thing is surreal. Does anyone else get this feeling, or is it just me? This surpasses all the American hype I've ever witnessed. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate America or anything, but I think America WAS a truly great nation and I don't see things going foward, but backwards for the next few years. Surley, Obama cant stop this. I feel it's too late, personally and Obama will only get to pick up a few of the peices.

2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

Well I can accept that he won't be able to do at least half of the things he says he can do; but anything is better than the state that we're in now in my opinion. So as long as he gets some of his big talking points accomplished I'll be relatively pleased.

3. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

He isn't the second coming of Jesus, and in the coming months, this will slowly dawn on people. If he starts by doing some of the things he said he'd do, he's on the right track.

Everybody wants some sort of 'change' but not everybody wants the same change, and as the prez, he needs to get good quickly at working out which change will be best for more people.

4. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Honestly, anything is better than the moron that we have in office atm.... (I really don't like bush..)

If Obama can pull off even a quarter of what he is trying to, he is fine in my book (especially his education plans ;))

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Then whatever you do, don't move to California...

(too cryptic?)

6. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

slightly.... I'm assuming you are referencing their governator?

7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

We now have a Democratic president, congress and house of representatives. we will see what can be changed and what can really be done to save our economy.

John

8. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

he only only won by 8% Or so. It wasn't as such landslide as the democrats would want you believe. but you Americans have a lots to answer for. You must make sure Obama sticks to what he says he's going to do.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

As was stated in another thread yesterday, Obama has a job that i wouldn't want gifted to me.
    the US finances are in deep trouble, he's made promises, he's got a loose-loose situation on his hands in the middle east...
    in other words - he's got a lot to deliver, and very restricted funds to do it with, as well as a very limited time. 4 years is nothing. I reckon, that if he can sort out the middle east and the financial crisis in his (first) term, he's doing very well.

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I think he's an alien.

11. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I think Obama isn't as popular as the media are claiming, but rather that he only won due to unpopularity of Bush and that McCain simply coudnt win due to Palin (who is just too similar to bush).

As for actually doing what he promised, where would he get the money required to finance his promises from? America as a whole is allready buried in debt and all the extra money thats been spent as of lately to save the economy will be missing as well and I'm sure banks and car manufacturers wont be the last ones to go beg for money.

Anyway, I wish him luck and hope he does a better job than Bush.

12. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

At least he (probably and hopefully) won't start a thermonuclear war.

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Doesn't matter who starts it really. Might be a couple hours of anger towards someone and then there will be a huge run on sunscreen.

14. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

The higher the pedestal, the bigger the fall. The "savior," Moses and Kennedy comparisons were really unnecessary and a bit over the top. I truly hope people aren't disappointed, but there are bound to be those who are. It's one thing to make promises with good intentions and quite another when slapped up side the head with the two by four of reality. If he can put the US on the road to a solid economy, make positive changes to the current healthcare system and repair our battered image as a country, he'll be doing VERY well. I wish nothing but the best to the President-elect as he assembles his team.

15. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

He said in his very own victory speech that he will make mistakes and will have to make unpopular decisions.
    He also said he'd be honest with the people and I'm inclined to believe him tbh.

Only time will tell though.

On a side note, I mentioned to my mrs that he was the first black president.
    She said, and I quote
    "He's not really black, he's just a bit tanned." :eek:

Like if he spent a year in scotland he'd suddenly look like Michael Jackson?? :D

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

When i read the thread title, i instantly assumed that this was going to be some redneck and his pillow case ranting on why obomba (pun intended) shouldn't have been elected, and all the bothers of the southern states to rise once again. yehaw

I just hope Obama is more in touch with the general publics views, which i hope motivated him to run for president. If he understands the people and works for the people then i dont think he'll go too far wrong, us brits need the american economy to pick up again, oil prices to drop again. And get the hell out of the middle east as its bankrupting us.

GREED + WAR = DEBT its a simple sum, so why is everyone getting it wrong!

17. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

So far as I gleaned, the only twits who compared him to Moses and called him "savior" were the ones who wrote McCain's attack ads. "The One" and "That One" were other similar epithets.

On the nether hind, Oprah Winfrey supported him, so ludicrous hyperbole wouldn't surprise me any more than it concerns me.

No offense, but asking "who is he really?" and saying "there's something mysteriously shady" about a man who's written two autobiographies and been transparent about his political beliefs sounds a wee tad xenophobic. We know as much about Obama as we do McCain. Obama seems less familiar because he hasn't been in public office as long, has a collage for a name and isn't white (which makes him seem vaguely "Middle-Eastern-ish" and "Muslim-esque" to certain xenophobes despite his long history as an American and Christian).

I tend to think this is true in any viciously privatized country, but it's certainly true in the States: In the U.S., money is speech and the population at large doesn't have any. Aside from voting and attending obscenely underreported demonstrations, "we" can't "make" Obama stick to his agenda (which he'll surely try to do anyway). The problem is going to be (i) vastly funded tools on the right who will repeatedly accuse Obama of inaction for not fixing in the first six months Bush's eight-year-compounded destruction of America's economy, financial centrality and already controversial international standing; (ii) the unbelievably cretinous voters who will find that complaint reasonable; and/or (iii) activists, public figures and voters who become demoralized, passive and quiescent after months of sustained attacks. I'm more worried about the new Pres being blamed for not reversing Bush's crimes and blunders overnight than I am about his being assassinated. Despite America's fine-print democracy, it's "their" media, not "ours."

Last edited: 6 Nov 2008
  18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Thats a bit of an idiotic statement as its not like the UK government follows the wishes of its people. Look how many people protested about invading Iraq, over a million took to the streets of London, and polls put the vast majority of the country against it but it didn't stop them. The UK has just as much to answer for as the US tbh.

My favourite quote from yesterday was from Radio 1 interviewing black teenagers in the UK about Obamas victory.
    Radio 1: Are you surprised by Obamas victory in the US elections?
    Teenager: No. There was already a black president on 24.

:duh::D

19. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's all a con to steal the hope diamond.

20. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

Thank you for that consoling nugget of teen ignorance. I'm tempted to glean a few quotes like that from bit-tech and forward them to other U.S. friends so that we don't feel alone in being part of a ridiculous country. For the subject header, I'm contemplating, "Apparently, UK Citizens Are Yutzes, too."

Last edited: 6 Nov 2008