1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Anybody have experience with 360s?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KoolDrew, 28 Dec 2008.

1. KoolDrew

KoolDrew What's a Dremel?

A while ago my Xbox 360 broke on me (3rrod) and I fixed it by removing the x-clamp, modifying the chassis and a few other things to ensure equal pressure on the CPU and GPU as well as preventing the board from flexing. The only problem is that it still gets way too hot. I've modded the fans to run off 12v and modified the fan shroud so one fan is dedicated to exhausting air from the CPU, while the other from the GPU. I'm still not happy. With the case off everything seems fine, but with the case on there is very little ventilation and it's extremely loud. I ended up having to re-adjust everything because it started having problems again. Now my 360 is running fine again, but I have not fully assembled it yet as I am trying to figure out what I want to do to fix the cooling issues, mainly with the GPU.

I was considering a few different options, but am unsure what exactly I'm going to end up doing. I know Lian Li has an Xbox 360 case, but I really don't want to spend that much. I was also considering just taking the DVD drive out and building a small enclosure for it to allow more room in the case; however, that would hurt portability. Other possible options would be either build the case myself or mod a PC case to work with the 360, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'd like the 360 to still be as functional as it would be in the stock case, which is why I was thinking about modifying that case, but it's just too small, especially with the DVD drive right over the GPU heatsink.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

lower your ambient temperture, sounds like a hot house there. Also where is the 360 kept, enough airflow to it?

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

well, if you went with building/modding a case, it wouldn't be that hard to drill and tap for standoffs, and mount the board on whatever you wanted, possibly an old mobo tray or sheet metal. if you wanted (after putting it in a case) you could watercool it also :p.

4. KoolDrew

KoolDrew What's a Dremel?

I live in Upstate NY and it's far from hot in here. I've also been running the 360 for days with the case off without any problems. The CPU heatsink is almost cold to the touch. However, the GPU heatsink is a bit warm because it's a much smaller heatink and the DVD drive rests right on top of it. It's not so much of a problem with the case off, but with it on ventilation is poor.

Since I really don't want to leave it disassembled I am considering options for better cooling performance.

Watercooling is an option since I already have a bunch of spare stuff laying around, all I'd need is a block.

5. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I suggest modifying an old PC case, or buy an SFF case for next to nothing. Add more fans and run them at lower voltages if you want to cut back on noise.