1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Surface mount 8-pin PCI-E power socket required.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Delphium, 6 Apr 2011.

1. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Hey all, I am hoping you may be able to help me locate an 8pin PCI-E power connector.
    I am essentially looking to replace the connector on a gfx card and I am sturggling to find the connector with the pins to solder it onto the board.

I have found some which are without pins and I think are desgined for use on the end of a cable rather than having solid pins.

The closest I have found to what I am lookin for is this.
    [​IMG]
    http://uk.farnell.com/molex/39301080/header-mini-fit-r-a-w-peg-8way/dp/9963391?Ntt=9963391
    However this is a 6pin in the image but 8pin in the description, trouble is I cant tell if it has the correct notches in each of the pins to correctly fit a PCI-E connector.

Anyone have any suggestions? :)

Many thanks.
    Delph.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2011
  2. asura

asura jack of all trades

Farnell aren't very good at putting the correct images up, a good example of this is with fans, where there'll be the same picture for a 80, 92, 120 & 140mm fan of the same model. It saves them time (and therefore money) to do things like this. The description seems very through, I'd just go right ahead and buy it, it's almost certainly exactly what you want; but if you're feeling cautious about it you could always e-mail/call them to confirm.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

unless you've broken the pins off of the vga card, all you really need is the plastic caps for the male connectors. the male pins are the same size on both cables and pci-e 8pin / eps pcb mount.

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I will need the pins idealy, and worse come to it i just cable it and find another way to mount the plastic block.

Will give em a call and see what they say, previous experience with calling them has not been awesome in the past, specially when the block has the notches cut out, so they would need to physicly check it.

Cheers.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It looks like the right one to me, assuming you want right-angled pins?
    The notches will be the same on all 8-pin connectors, they are all part of the same "Mini Fit Jr" range by Molex.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Can I ask why you're changing it and what card it's on? Because honestly, unless you have a reflow/rework station, you're not even going to budge that lead free solder