1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink eBay, Amazon, and/or buying food in bulk.

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 1 Mar 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Anyone on here bought food items from either eBay sellers or Amazon?

I ask simply as there are some items my household goes through enough of to warrant buying in bulk, and short of a trip to a wholesaler or costco or the like i was wondering if anyone had any experience with buying that kinda thing from amazon or ebay, especially as tesco et al now frown upon you buying all they have of a particular item.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2017
  2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I've bought food via eBay and Amazon, and to be honest, it was just as described. If not, you've always got your money back options available to you. Just be sure to read the description thoroughly before you make a purchase.

RedFlames likes this.
  3. RedFlames

That was kinda what I was after, don't want to be ordering stuff only to have a load of cheap knock-off stuff arrive at my door.

I guess part of me just feels uneasy with the thought of buying food online, and i'm not particularly trusting of eBay at the best of times.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I go to a wholesaler sometimes. Any sort of utility stuff you can get in bulk is convenient like catering size cling film, tin foil, paper towels. Of course you can get bulk food items too like rice. So I would recommend checking one out locally.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've bought bags of chocolate in bulk (Callebaut 1kg and 2.5kg bags). No problems.

6. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I once bought 2 boxes of Jack Link's jerky in bulk. Didn't last any longer than if I bought it in smaller quantity, I just ate 3 times as much at a time...

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've bought bulk candy on eBay (Haribo Fruit Salad) and had no problem.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I buy in bulk from Amazon all of the time. My wife and I are sorta big on personal hygiene so we get boxes of Huggies and those bum wipe things.

She bought me some Bovril instant cup things recently and I used to buy boxes of 100 Nespresso clone things.

Plus then there used to be cat food. Between us we had six cats, and five of them had to eat a specific brand (and it's fudging expensive) because of their breed. So I used to buy like 20 kilo bags at better prices than buying in small (plus Woollie was a pig and used to stuff her face haha).

9. RedFlames

Most of the local wholesalers are fairly inacessible, so if i can get some ****er else to deliver it all then that's a win :thumb: Some of them also aren't actually that cheap.

Already buy rice in fairly large quantities [just bought a 10kg sack of basmati as it happens]. Just finished off the last of a 5l bottle of soy sauce too.

I have never done this... I've certainly never done it more than twice... :worried:

Out of curiosity, was that from ebay, or from the cadbury's outlet place? Ordered a load of stuff from the latter before Christmas and i never actually got the stuff. NVM: Had a brainfart and mis-read your post.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2017
  10. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

We tend to buy things like washing machine tablets, dishwasher tables, bog roll along with pet food and supplied from Amazon, much cheaper than the shops and also gets delivered to my door, meaning I can be lazy and don't have to go and get it.

11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I use amazon pantry a lot I think it's awesome, I think you only get knock off stuff if you buy knock off stuff. I'm a bit of a snob and am fully sold on capitalism so I only buy the named brand things, super market or online :D

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've ordered 600 fortune cookies from ebay before...

No, that's not the setup to a joke. They arrived and were exactly as described.

Tried Amazon pantry a while back, but went back to Waitrose online shopping because of selection.

Last edited: 28 Mar 2017
  13. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I order enough stuff from Amazon Subscribe and Save that it's usually with a 15% discount.... pet food, wood chippings, bog rolls, coffee, rice, noodles....

14. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Kimchi noodle junkie here - I get my fix in bulk once a month from Amazon and have never had an issue.

I've even bought the fresh kimchi from Mr. Kimchi on Amazon and it arrives still chilled :)

15. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Anyone ever ordered meat in bulk for example from greatbritishmeat.com?
    I want to switch to keto for a while and I want loads of meat on hand so I don't get tempted..

16. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

the only problem i've had with these is that you can't see the meat you're actually buying before it arrives. My girlfriend bought us a box of meat once from one of these places, and all the meat looked like meat I wouldn't of naturally picked.

I'm a bit funny though about meat, I'm not a very good meat eater though and I don't really like meat that looks different to how my mind pictures it, so I buy meat from the butcher where I can see it before I buy it.

But i'm a weirdo :D The box was fine, I just had issues with it.

17. Valo

Valo Minimodder

I buy my asian food supplies in an asian supermarket (Which has a massive wholesale section for restaurants etc)

Would rather buy online if that means I don't have to drive 40 min each way to resupply my noodles stash

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I go to Costco now and then - I'm eligible for membership because of where I work. TBH it's handy being able to buy stuff in bulk; it's not always cheaper than the supermarkets, but you'll get it in quantities that you simply can't get in a supermarket.

I've ordered from MuscleFood before, but I probably won't be again - I'm starting to get really picky about welfare standards when it comes to meat. It's great value though and some of it was really nice.