1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Relocating the PCIE

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Boxcarr, 18 Apr 2014.

1. Boxcarr

Boxcarr Will use any tool available.

Has anyone out there attempted to try to relocate the PCIE port to the other side of a motherboard?

Are the terminals on either side of the card interface leading to the same place? I know even trying to do so would likely result in bricking both the motherboard as well as whatever card you plug into it, but I still have to wonder.

honestly, I blame WC'ing for me even thinking such a thing. All those gorgeous looking blocks from CPU and motherboards all hiding in the shadow of the massive videocards...

2. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

Not the same thing, but one of my friends used a pcie extender cable to relocate his G/C in his case, he was only aircooling, so he had to mod his case for the card to vent, but it looked good ( something different), I imagine if your watercooling you could put the card anywhere you want.

3. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i think the back terminals are the same, some years ago i cant remeber 100% which forum i think it was on hexus, some one revered the agp port in that way for a htpc project which he needed for his radeon AIW card

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm not sure how that is going to work. Even if you move the connector on the motherboard to its other side, you'd have to flip the GPU card over to insert it, which means that all its connections are upside-down relative to the motherboard.

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

PCI-E pins are not all mirrored. It won't work. There are things you can remove/remote, but that's not one. Use a shielded extension.

6. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nope, they are for bitcoin mining purposes. The bandwidth won't be enough for a GPU card functioning as GPU card.

8. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Talking with a lot of experience of soldering very small ICs with large pin counts you'll never do it!

9. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Speaking theoretically and I don't think this will work but can he use one of these with the PCIe connector soldered to the underside of the mobo to reverse the lanes back?:

I know nothing about the PCIe topology.

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Nope, signal attenuation most likely.

11. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

ribbon is best [​IMG]
    [​IMG]