1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Creating custom PSU cables for Seasonic X-650

Discussion in 'Modding' started by all3z, 7 Jun 2014.

1. all3z

all3z What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, first post here. Sorry if it's in the wrong section but I think sleeving/modifying cables belongs here rather than hardware.

So to the topic. I was wondering if or rather how I would make my own cables for my PSU. Also what tools and materials I would have to get to do this.

My PSU is a Seasonic X-650 Gold, KM3.

I want to do this because of the PCI-E connector for my Gtx 780. The connector you get is really stupid for sleeving. It's a 8 pin to 2 6+2's. Because of this there's multiple wires at a ton of places.

I've seen Lustr0s guide for sleeving double wires but since there's so many doubles i think it would be easier and cleaner do a whole new wire.

Another reason is that my GPU uses one 8 and one 6-pin connector which means that one of the +2's is just hanging there which looks bad. The one that's currently in there is also quite short so I can't direct it through the cable management holes in my Arc midi

So basically I'm thinking that maybe you could make one 6- and one 8 pin connector.

To sum this up;
    I want to know if it's possible the way I suggested. If not please give some advice of other options available. What tools & materials do I need? Some advice how to do it the best way. Some own creative solutions or tips.

Thanks.