1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide How to bring back original color of plastic panel on old PCs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by phinix, 9 Sep 2015.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I thought I could share here what I've done lately:)

I started new modding project - Phinix Retro - it is a mod of 25 years old PC case that will get modern high end hardware guts:)

Thing is as you may know, old PCs gets yellowish with time, those front panels once nice and grey/beige, become yellowish/brownish after years. This is caused by bromine in those plastics and exposure to UV light (sun light).
    I know there is RetroBride specimen that peeps use, also they use hairdressers' Blonde cream etc.
    Problem with those is when people put them on the panels and wrapped them up with kitchen film so it won't dry out - it would still leave uneven results cause it depends how they spread it over.
    Of course there were a lot of successful results too.

I just want to share what I've done last week and it worked for me.
    Very simple thing - I used hydrogen peroxide 12% - bought 5l bottle from ebay.
    Please be aware, 12% is pretty strong, it instantly bleaches your skin and hurts, so all the safety gloves and glasses should be worn - also mind your clothes, this stuff works like an acid:eeek:

I simply soaked it in that peroxide and left outside on the sun for 5 hours. That simply reverses the process.

This is how it looked before. This the front of the case, you can see how yellowish it is - 5.25" cover plate and 3.5" drive is newer, take a look at 3.5" fake cover plate and front panel itself - both yellowish.

[​IMG]

Now, first I did that 3.5" fake cover plate, look how nice and clean it is after 4 hours soaking in peroxide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and here is a result of the front panel - 3.5 cover plate is exactly same color as whole panel. AWESOME!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Results photos may have a bit off white balance, but you can see that both fake cover and front panel look same - both got back the original color.

Result, happy days:thumb:

Last edited: 9 Sep 2015
  2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Pictures aren't showing for me.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Me neither

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Hydrogen peroxide is awesome stuff. It's what all the various laundry whiteners release when mixed with water, but you'd have to go for a fairly high concentration in order to get to 12%.

Also the images don't work because attachments on the forum they're being hosted on require you to be signed in to view them ;)

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

sorry guys, fixed the photos