1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Cable size for ATX power/reset switches and LED's

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ToneEQ, 24 Nov 2015.

1. ToneEQ

ToneEQ What's a Dremel?

I want to create replacement (longer than I can find) cables for the power and reset switches plus power/activity LED's. I've got all the pins and connectors, the only thing I need to find out is the thickness of the cable used. Anyone know what cable is needed please, and/or where to buy it?

2. mike_dowler

mike_dowler What's a Dremel?

Power draw is minimal, so any wire should be fine. AWG 20 or 24 for example - certainly no need for anything thicker. Any PC mod supplier should be able to sort you out, or there's always eBay.

3. ToneEQ

ToneEQ What's a Dremel?

Looking on ebay I've noticed that some Cat5/6 cables have 24AWG wire inside, and they have 4 pairs so should be perfect to mod. Thank you.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I use 7/0.2 wire readily availably from ebay or Maplins. Make sure you make very tight crimps on the pins otherwise they won't fit in the connector housing.

If you have any problems let me know as I have a Molex crimp tool which is particularly good for making tight crimps plus all the required pins and (unlabelled) housings

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

That will work but it is very bulky. As mike_dowler said you can use 20 to 24 AWG wire you could go smaller to a 26 AWG. Several case I've had over the years used 26 AWG. Just a word of caution, smaller isn't always better, small wires can be harder to work with.

6. ToneEQ

ToneEQ What's a Dremel?

I know the crimps can be tricky on such small connectors, I once had a non-standard PC case which had a 3 pin power button connector with the middle pin holder empty :(

Bulky is fine, as the cable is coming from the loft (server location) down through the wall and into a faceplate in a bedroom, where I'm going to drill holes in a blank faceplate to fit the LED's and buttons. It will be easier to feed one cable then 8 tiny ones.

Thanks for all your tips and advice.

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

For a long run like that large cables are better. Also you want to include connectors at both ends of the cable. Since you are thinking if using Ethernet cable, you might as well use RG45 jack and plugs.

8. ToneEQ

ToneEQ What's a Dremel?

Ooh that's a good idea!