1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8.1 install problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shanx, 16 Nov 2016.

1. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade to windows 8 from vista.

So bought a digital copy and created the necessary ISO file from the MS.site onto a USB stick.

Turned on the pc, inserted USB and followed instructions, formatted the HD and all started well got to 79% and the error. Apparently some drivers were missing. So went on line to find drivers but no luck.

So thought maybe I had a dodgy download so decided to burn a new ISO file to DVD, inserted DVD with the hope of find it had the relevent drivers no luck.

Didn't know what to do next, so stupidly I shut down the pc with a view to investigate further and solve the problem.

Now I have a brick for a pc and a screen that keeps telling me to insert the installation disc restart the pc and repair the pc all of which I can't do.

I can't even reload Vista from the OEM disc I bought when I built the pc.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to remedy the issue, if at all possible, I would be extremely grateful.

Yours in hope
    Shanx

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I don't think Microsoft currently sell a digital version of 8.1. As far as I can tell you can only buy 10 now.

3. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

No they don't, I bought it from Play Asia you get a valid 25 digit key code and they direct to Microsoft to download the ISO file for the relevant version of windows.

4. wolfticket

I'd be concerned about sourcing a windows licence like that on the "if it seems to be too good to be true" rule. Also I wouldn't be installing 8.1 at this point in proceedings. Either 10, of if you really want to, 7.

That said, Windows 8.1 should install without any licence at all so that should rule out any licence issues.

If you have access to another system then I'd download 8.1 again from here and try a fresh install again, deleting all partitions and reformatting in the process.
    It could have been a bad download or image creation.

I would say you might need SATA drivers but it sounds like the install process has gone well beyond that stage already so that shouldn't be the issue.

If your system is as here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=4188571#post4188571 then I really can't think off the top of my head why you should have any real problems installing 8.1.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2016
  5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

My guess would be HDD is having a mare. Get it tested with something like gsmartcontrol in a different PC.

6. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

wolfticket

Yes that is my current system and the link you put up takes me to the same Microsoft site that Play Asia directed me to to download the ISO file. It had completed 79% of the 2nd stage then the error message.

noizdaemon

I don't have another PC to test it on, so i have decided to take it to a local independent PC shop a mate of mine recommends and get them to test it, but thanks for the advice.

Thanks again for the advice.

Shanx

7. wolfticket

I figured it would be the same site. Sometimes downloads or images can become corrupted though. I was suggesting you download and create the install media again.

8. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

Doh Re engage brain. I'll give it a go & see what happens

Thanks again

9. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

Well with much tinkering and fiddling with the bios I finally managed to coax the pc into reloading Vista,not what I really wanted but no matter what I did it would not load window 8.1.

My thanks to noizdaemon for the link to Rufus, I tried that with a new download of the ISO but the stubborn pc didn't want to know.

Not sure what to do now, the main reason for the software upgrade was to combat all the 'browser not compatible' issues I keep getting and the fact the pc was so slow I thought that it would also serve the purpose of getting rid of all the crap that has accumulated in 8+ years that it has been in use.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Shanx

10. Wolfe33

Wolfe33 What's a Dremel?

11. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

That is possibly the most pointless video I've ever seen. How is anyone meant to run setup from within the SXS folder when they probably won't have an OS installed? And beyond that, I still don't see how it would help.

12. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

Couldn't agree more, with no OS installed totally pointless post.

Thanks again for the earlier advice, went to the local Indy pc shop recommended by a mate and they sorted the issue and install 8.1 for me.

Now works a treat

13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Did they say what had caused the issue ?

14. Shanx

Shanx What's a Dremel?

No - TBH i didn't think to ask :wallbash:.

They tested all the hardware first and found no issues so I just put it down to a dodgy ISO file and my messing around after it failed to initially load 8.1.

Just happy to have it working again :D

Got myself an extra 4Gb of Corsair 1066Ghz RAM bringing it up to 8Gb so should see me right for a couple of years or so until I can afford to upgrade.