1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Is Ark: Survival evolved a good single player game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 1 Feb 2017.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ark is on offer on Steam at the moment, and I'm pondering it.

Does it actually have a single player campaign that is any good?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

It's all multiplayer isn't it?

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It has a single player mode, but it's like playing Day Z or Altis by yourself, not up to much.

So, I wouldn't recommend it for solo.

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

If you enjoy playing Minecraft on your own then you may enjoy Ark Survival as a single-player game, as a lot of the focus has the same feel of gathering resources and building up structures (with the added bonus of taming & riding dinosaurs).

Personally, I'd find it a bit too quiet to play solo... might not be too bad if you're chatting to someone over VOIP while playing though.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sounds like a no go for me then. It's not as though I haven't got a load of other games to get through in the old Steam library and I don't need to add another grind type game to that.

6. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Personally I enjoy it just as much in sp as I do in mp. You can adjust almost every difficulty setting in the game on set-up so I usually tweak the taming time of dinos and resource yields up slightly to get rid of the grindy feel in sp. Whereas mp I tend to keep fairly unchanged as you can just delegate roles amongst a group. The other good part is you can host your sp map as a mp world for up to 4 people so if someone does want to join they can (albeit with limitations like a tether to the host player).

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If you want a cool survival game that can be enjoyed SP then I thoroughly recommend 7 days to die.

8. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Glad someone asked this as I had myself wondering the same thing when I saw the sale price! All the horror stories about the game stem from the mp. Will probably give it a miss anyway.

9. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Wouldnt it be rather hard solo? You would have to learn all the engrams your self.

10. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

How does this game still run like absolutely s*** and have such a large fan base... my computer can laugh at Star Citizen but this game!!!!!!! this freaking game! nope

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I agree on the performance, it ran so unbelievably bad I got a refund.

12. killingit

killingit What's a Dremel?

I've heard stories about its performance, but is it really THAT bad?

13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Just tested with the 'Epic' graphics settings.
    The game is running around 30-35fps on average with my system (i7 6700k, GTX1070, 16GB), though I don't have lots of dinos/structures on my screen at once so it may drop a bit when trying to handle more than me running a character across the map.

PC performance appears to have improved a ton since they ported the game to the console (from a visual guess, I'd say it's about 18-20fps on my PS4), hopefully that means the devs are now focusing a bit more on functionality over new content.

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I picked it up over Xmas, played it, with my then CPU, an overclocked 3570k, 16GB RAM + a 980ti and the performance was abysmal. So bad I got a refund.