1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Kaby-X

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 6 Feb 2017.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Leaks suggest that Intel is planning to put a quad core Kaby SkyLake core on upcoming X299, with no IGP but with an increased TDP to 112W. So, let's hypothesize: what's responsible for the increase in TDP and what would make a quad-core worth of HEDT selling point?

> Fat chunk of eDRAM?
    > Intel binning cores and doing an "FX 9000" for its first 5GHz chip?

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Quad core in a '99 board? seriously are they high or something?

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

A highly clocked quad core to take on Ryzen makes some sense, after all Intel can't just drop the prices of their 6 - 10 core chips without cannibalizing their precious Xeon sales.

Does it really have to be on the HEDT platform though? I'd say no.

4. Vault-Tec

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_s_ryzen_cpu_lineup_has_been_leaked/1

I don't know how true that may be because right now it's all pure speculation but if that is the lineup then Intel are going to have to be a bit more generous with their precious cores.

Looking at it there are three 6 core SKUs. If this is even remotely true it means that one of them should be pretty affordable. If there is an affordable 8 core it will immediately start to eat into Intel's lower end Xeon sales and AMD seem to have an attack plan for the other Xeons too, with up to 32c 64t on a single chip.

As I say, all speculation and that link there could well be BS but there is usually truth in these sort of leaks unless some **** was just bored.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Hopefully Ryzen will be good enough that Intel have to actually bother competing in this market place - rather than just resting on their laurels and producing chips that are no better than the previous generation!

6. Vault-Tec

Ryzen has been proven already IMO. The Blender test has been scrutinised and came back perfectly genuine. It's a tiny bit faster than Broadwell E....

Just hoping they don't get stupid with the prices now.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Of course, it's only one benchmark and we still don't have widespread verification of Ryzen's result. Or how much that Ryzen chip will cost. Other than that, totally proven :D

Let's hope it's good, but let's not count our chickens yet either.

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

It has not already been proven. Only someone who put an AMD prefix before their name would think such things.

However, I am quietly optimistic about Ryzen.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Some might want the system PCIe and memory bandwidth provided by HEDT but not need more than 4c8t, like a multigpu gamer who uses nvme drives etc.

It's the sort of thing I might go for.

10. Vault-Tec

It has already been displayed in Blender and Handbrake.

Also, lay off with the insults. That is the third time some one has insulted me in the last few days.

11. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I apologise if I have triggered a victim complex but I did not insult you. You used to post on here with the name AMD Andy, right? This suggests you are have an AMD leaning which is unlikely to be objective. Hardly an insult.

Obviously, we do not know what Ryzen will provide until we see the full lineup, pricing, and thorough comparisions across multiple benchmarks and tests.

12. Vault-Tec

First the insult, then the claim that you have magical powers to see through people's computer screens and a degree in psychology. Yup, you're definitely doing it right ! I kinda thought that was coming :rolleyes:

FYI I am just about to take some bike parts for powder coating for what has been an absolutely epic project with parts arriving from all over the world. So right now I am pretty happy. I could care less about what some guy is saying to me on a forum.

No actually I did not, that was an insult. As for leaning toward AMD? I am just an enthusiast that's all. You know? a real PC enthusiast who does not care who makes what so long as it's fast and affordable.

Some people misunderstand that terminology these days. They have confused "Enthusiast" with "People who have the most money".

But of course as we know, having money does not denote enthusiasm for a subject. I have been enthusiastic since the early 90s and that enthusiasm continues today.

We've got a rough idea. Even magazines I read are calling the performance to be right around the same as Broadwell E.

If it were just Blender then I could see the point. Apparently with an Intel CPU you can add a line to the code and it goes much faster. Something to do with OpenCL that does not use your GPU apparently.

But it's not, it's Handbrake too which I have tested and ran on every rig I have ever owned and can see that Ryzen is bloody quick.

Any way, you could have just said what you said in your last quote without the insult.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Children, honestly. Stop. Both of you.

N17 dizzi: You're being provocative and you know it, and if you want to call someone a fanboy at least come straight out with it.
    Vault-Tec: Grow a thicker skin or stop using the internet.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

We have a rough idea of performance based on very limited information to date, but that's only one part of the jigsaw. Availability, scaling across the product range, the size of said product range, cost of both the CPU and the platform, heat and noise and power consumption... And of course actual real-world performance too. All of these are up in the air - and if they aren't, and Ryzen is stunningly brilliant, why are AMD not shouting it from the rooftops? Either AMD are a bit rubbish at marketing, or one or more of the above may be an issue.

Again, I hope Ryzen is superb and a real return to form for AMD. I want more competition, more choice for consumers and lower prices. However, I've been burned by AMD's promises before. That's why I'm going to wait and see how things actually turn out. Not long to go now.

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

IIRC the idea is that Skylake-X (which has been renamed from Skylake-E for no particular reason) will in addition to the Skylake-derived parts will have a single Kaby Lake derived 4-core part on the same platform. No word on whether it's a super-early Kaby Lake-E (or -X or whatever) part, or if it's a 'desktop' Kaby Lake that has somehow been dropped into an LGA2066 package.
    I'd bet on the former. It's be less work to take a mostly-working-but-stability-isn't-quite-there-for-enterprise-and-we-can-turn-the-fancy-bits-consumers-don't-use-off part and polish it as a halo consumer chip, then it would be to take existing silicon and try and massage it into a completely different platform.
    - The aforementioned higher TDP
    - X299 platform features like copious PCIe lanes
    - If it's a 'big die' Kaby Lake-X chip, then the die may be large enough for a soldered IHS to still be possible, unlike the smaller consumer dies where it is not (and has not been for several generations)
    - Giving people an actual reason to move to X299, while X99 is a silly thing to do if you do not have a workload that scales to 6 cores or more.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Cache size is rumoured to be identical to mainstream Kaby Lake and it is also rumoured to "only" have dual channel memory, so it may well be "just" a mainstream Kaby Lake in 2066 form.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/skylake-x-kaby-lake-x

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Sounds like it could, in theory, be a cheap [by HEDT standards at least] in to the x299 platform. though not sure what uses would need the extra PCI-E lanes and whatnot of x299 that wouldn't also need/benefit from >4 threads.

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

....or I'm turning this Browser around and there'll be no new forum for anyone!

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm not angry, just disappointed.

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Also watching RyZen with interest. Truth be told, I don't plan on buying a new mobo/CPU for a long time (4 years maybe? Hell, a 4GHz i7 920 can still hold its own) but would like to see Intel shaken a bit. The latest generation of Intel CPUs are a bit WTF to be honest.