1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-56605, 6 Feb 2017.

1. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Jan 2019
  2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Was a bit toungue in cheek.

Mental speeds no doubt.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Holy mackerel. That is quite fast.

5. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

To be fair, what you have paid for that it should provide sexual relief free of charge too !

Having said that, this post makes me think that's happening anyway :D

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I remember when I got my first SSD on SATA II and I was getting around 260-270 MB/s read and write, and that was FAST DAMNIT.

Now, having upgraded from X58 to X99 I have SATA III in abundance and I'm getting literally double what I was with SATA II, and it's like DAYUM.

Your 960 EVO...

[​IMG]

7. asura

asura jack of all trades

I'm quite happy with my 185(ish) horses thank you very much...

...for the moment...

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Amazing :thumb:

You're making me want to upgrade :D

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I still get shocked at the speed of my 950 Pro. I want one of these now. Bit-tech is bad.

Oh, and only 500bhp? My wagon's currently running 572bhp, and I'm seriously considering a stage 2 and 750+bhp. 'Cos nearly 600 isn't enough, right :eek:

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'd be happy with SATA SSD speeds tbh...

*goes back to the spinning rust wilderness*

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Thought I'd jump in on the fun 23RO and co!

So, in my quest to go ever smaller I wanted to ditch all three of my SSDs and go M2 only. However, I'd need at least a terabyte and the prices..... well they start at £330. Wayyyy more than I'd spend.

However I found someone flogging a brand new 1TB Toshiba M2 drive on ebay, and ended paying £186.

These things, however, are never as easy as you think and I had to follow this guide to mod my BIOS and slip in full NVME support. With the BIOS now able to see the drive, I then installed Windows which was mostly straightforward (BTW, the way that Windows now auto activates if tied to your microsoft account despite being on new hardware is GREAT).

Everything seemed speedier, and after seeing this thread I downloaded AS SSD. Running it I got this.

[​IMG]

Hmm. Decent speeds on read, but what the hell is up with those write speeds?

I then discovered that you have to disable something called 'Windows Write Cache Buffer Flushing' under the drives Properties. Oh man that made a difference.

[​IMG]

So, overall - I'm nowhere near 23's blazing fast speeds (of which I am jello) but I'm getting 3x the Read speeds of my previous SSD (without any cabling :rock:) and I've got 1TB of M2 storage for £186 - so I'll take that compromise.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

They do throttle hard halving the speed, so despite being fast even at half speed, well at least with my PM961

You can see the drop off quite easy with atto, basically it starts ramping down after hitting 50 something degC, running 3 gpus case temps can be high and it sits in a GPU sandwich, so I have covered mine in heat sinks, looks like a mini GPU now, done it not so much for speed but reliability, if they are throttling so hard at such low temperatures it can't be good.

The heatsink just delays things though, I need to get air over it.

They are nice and quick but never really improved loading times etc over my old SSHD spinners :(

Last edited: 9 Feb 2017
  13. Parge

Yes, it was fairly hairy at times though - I dislike BIOS modifications on boards without a dual BIOS solution like the Impact VII - in fact I did have one pretty horrible moment where I thought I'd bricked it.

Interesting. That would certainly explain why I saw read speeds of 1450mb+ for the first few runs followed by it dropping off to 1250mb+ in the next few runs. Mine looks like the below. I wonder if I should spring for some heatsinks. I would think the raspberry pi ones might work. Also which of you absolute nutters if going to be the first to watercool yours? :thumb:

Also, bonus points for anyone who can find ANYTHING about this drive on the internet at all. Its like it doesn't actually exist. The model number is : THNS51T0DUK

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Feb 2017
  14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Athony is water cooling his in his project log :D

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have considering adding it too my loop but my water temp hits almost 50C when gaming so I might have to do a separate loop for it :D though when gaming I am probably not using the drive in the same way as when I am messing about with big data so might be fine though some times there are background task I might be doing....hmm.

I am just using GPU DRAM sinks, I will add a small fan at some point.

If you run atto with the bigger tests, perhaps 1Mb onwards, I don't recall, your read/write speed should pretty much be the same (within a few %) for subsequent tests, if after running you see it getting much slower on the later tests you have a cooling issue, this happens first run for me due to where its sits, it sits idle at 40C so doesn't have much legroom.

Run it a few times to get an idea of where it throttles using a system monitor tool ssd temp is shown, then at least you can keep an eye on its temps in real world usage to see if it even matters, it could be fine for you.

16. Parge

According to Anandtech - these will really only throttle in benchmarks.

"However, for the random read performance, mixed reads and writes and our AnandTech Storage Bench tests replicating real-world bursts of I/O, the heatsink made no significant differences."

So doesn't look like there is any point in adding heatsinks for me personally.

17. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Get a VRAM heatsink on the controller and you will be able to maintain speeds for much longer. My SM951 used to idle between 55 and 60 without, and now it barely hits those temps under load. :)

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

As you can keep an eye on it do so, review sites will unlikely be testing your exact setup, often done on open benches or test rigs, so what works for them may like myself not work for you.

19. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

For the prices they charge the manufacturers should be putting the heatsinks on them !

20. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

They don't put them on because they do operate under normal conditions without one, and it may cause issues when fitting into tight spaces. I know if the 850 EVO in my Ultrabook had one, then it wouldn't it into the chassis.