1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "BitPac" - Watercooled Bitfenix Prodigy Build - Completed!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wejjy, 12 Oct 2012.

1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Hi again guys, well some of you will be aware that my SR-2 desk build is nearing completion, so the next build begins...

Its an illness I think, we just can't help ourselves can we!

So, the project, well yes it is another Bitfenix Prodigy build, but hopefully something a little different to the others. I want to integrate overkill with the tiny size of the case, so Im going big with this one. No designs to spoil it, they're all stored safely on my drive so I can refer to them, Im afraid you guys will just have to follow along until the end. The only teaser will be these photos at the very start!

So I have the majority of the hardware already, all of the water-cooling gear is now in my possession, so tonight I made a start stripping the case down and trying to figure out which parts to keep and which to mod, and then which to get rid of all together!

Heres the strip down so far as Im sure you have all seen the case in its fully built state...

First of all stripped all the drive bays out including the DVD tray, all so easy to do, a credit to Bitfenix...

[​IMG]

The stripped case, with the PSU installed in the bottom...

[​IMG]

Then finally the rads, in the rough position they will occupy, they're balanced at the moment so please don't worry, they will be straight when finished, just to give you all an idea as to how tight the case will be filled!

[​IMG]

Hardware:

* Z77 Motherboard - TBC
    * GPU - TBC
    * Corsair 16gb Dominator RAM
    * 256gb OCZ SSD
    * 2x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD's
    * Corsair GS650 PSU

Watercooling:

* 2 x Phobya G-Changer Rads
    * EK GPU Full Cover
    * EK HF Supreme CPU Nickel/Plexi
    * EK Dominator Nickel/Plexi
    * Laing DDC 18w Pump with EK Top
    * EK Fittings
    * Fans - Bitfenix 120/140 Fans Colour co-ordinated!

OS - Windows 7 and OSX Mountain Lion

Hope you all like this one guys, it WILL be different!! I promise!:rock::rock:

Last edited: 29 Dec 2012
  2. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Looking forward to it :)

3. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

X2 :thumb:

4. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks guys! Work is progressing, updates soon I promise!

5. LeandroJVarini

LeandroJVarini Mod is my life!

will be a beautiful work!

I'm almost buying a prodigy for me to try to put a m-atx it, maybe later on!

6. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Ok so progress was delayed until some parts arrived, I received mynorder though last week from Specialtech, so yesterday I started moving forward. i'll put the pictures on and allow them to do the explaining as words are just boring!

[​IMG]

Love these fans, they are so easy to work with and are great for watercooling builds imo

[​IMG]

Out comes the paint...

[​IMG]

3 coats later...

[​IMG]

Left these to dry, and went back home, installed the motherboard power cables to see how they look.

[​IMG]

Not bad!

Then did some work on the rads, CF'd the sides, and attached the fan bodies in place ready for the painted fans tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Then installed the standard black Bitfenix fans as exhaust fans for the rads, may change these but will see how they cope first.

[​IMG]

Dropped the rads in to see how close it all was, and hey presto, its perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enough space but nice and full too!

[​IMG]

Thats all for now folks, onto the top plate next and the pump/res placement which I am excited about, then saving for the GPU!

Whadya think?

7. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Looking good duuuude! - Loving your Desk, hope this turns out just as well!

:)

8. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks dude, and for following the desk too!

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Now for something completely different project :D nice one. :clap:

10. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

I know, its totally the opposite to the desk, and its a little strange as everything seems so easy in comparison, almost like Im cheating!

11. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Ok so a tiny little bit of progress today. I managed to collect the fans I left drying last time and fit them. A little teaser really for you all as Im still yet to make the actual brackets and the reservoir/pump mounts.

Also I could do with some help in deciding which motherboard to go for, the Asrock Z77 or the Asus Z77?? The Asrock fits in nicely with my colour scheme, but the Asus has much higher features?? Help??

Anyway, here are the piccies again, hope you like them...

[​IMG]

Gotta love the Phobya fans...

[​IMG]

and the zesty Orange...

[​IMG]

Spraying this was kind of a test as there will be a lot happening up in the roof... But I like the effect it gives as the mesh changes how orange it all looks.

And finally an overall shot for you, gives you an idea of how it will all look in the end!

[​IMG]

Thanks guys, if anyone would like to donate a 670, it would be amazing too! :) :)

12. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Ordered the Asrock board last night, along with a Samsung 256gb SSD (colour scheme is perfect!!) and some RAM, just need a modular PSU and some help deciding which GPU to go for... 660ti or 670gtx??

13. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Love the way you placed the rads! Where is the pump/res going?

14. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

What sexy little cases these are, shame one wouldn't fit in my tower holder thing and that I've not long bought a Fractal Arc Midi.

I watch with interest.

15. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks dude, I like to be different, and to make things as hard as possible for myself too!

The pump is a Laing DDC type and the res is an EK 150 tube type res, they will both be positioned in the roof, on display but integral to the case, riddle like I know, you will see as Im working on it as we speak!! Soon...

They are great little cases yes, although I feel bad as Ive absolutely gutted this one! Shame you can't fit it into your space, but the Arc Midi is nice too (had one for a while!)

Thanks for looking in!

16. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Havent really been on much lately, but got a bits done in really small doses so thought I would save it all until I had some work worthy of posting, and Im really chuffed, got afew small things left to do but I feel Ive done a half decent job so far!

I had a few deliveries, namely the below!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there was a lot to get on with really....

I started off by laying everything out to double check it was all ok, and then started assembling bits in their final positions.

[​IMG]

I will just post the photos from now on, as its all fairly simple...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hated the stickers on the side of the PSU but that got sorted another time...

[​IMG]

CPU installed, cant wait to overclock this little beauty!

HOW TO ALERT: Skip if you want!!

Decided to do a little how to with my cleaning kit... Might help someone?

[​IMG]

First step is to wipe off all old residue with some Kitchen towel etc...

[​IMG]

Leaves a smeared dirty mark...

So you apply the Arctic Silver Fluid number 1 and wipe again...

[​IMG]

This cleans it but leaves behind an oily film, so you MUST use the second fluid too...

[​IMG]

Just a drop...

Wipe...

Then...

[​IMG]

Perfect!!!

HOW TO OVER......

Installed the Samsung SSD and piggy backed it using velcro strip to the old Corsair SSD I had, so I have a Samsung 256GB and a Corsair 128GB SSD, one for Windows, other for Mac OSX.

[​IMG]

Piggy backed

[​IMG]

Then into their new home, as I said the PSU got Dinoc'd, much better now

[​IMG]

By this time I'd started messing about with the hose routing, so had to fix the pump down on its little rubber dampers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its on the floor at the very front between the two rads, its snug in here to say the very least!

Then it was onto the Reservoir placement, now I didnt take many photos of this as I kind of just got into the zone so apologies!! Some will love others will hate, Im definitely the Former!! and before the haters say anything, yes it would fit inside, I want it to be a feature...

[​IMG]

Getting there...

[​IMG]

Installed the LED strip and put it inn the roof, am chuffed with it, great light and good effect, just cant wait to see it with the fluid!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unwrapped the final piece of the jigsaw, but gutted as the EK block was delayed so I couldn't get it all finished off, otherwise it would be leak testing right now, ready for playtime tomorrow!! DOH!

[​IMG]

and the glory shot...

[​IMG]

Just got the block to fit and then its all ready to juice up and get playing!!! More very soon!!!

Oh I forgot one thing, these cases are tiny, so storage can be an issue, overcame that with a mad idea, needs a cover but... enough room eventually for 3TB's to be hidden in there, guess where...

[​IMG]

Haha cheeky ay!!

Hope you like guys, catch you very soon!!

17. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Nice ideas: 2 x 240 face to face, rez on top and hdd under the case. :thumb:

I don't know if you already plan it, but you should do a shield (enclosure) to protect you hdd.

Anyway, congrats, and i very love the Prodigy

Do you know if it possible (with modding) to install an ATX or an E-ATX motherboard? What are the dimensions of the motherboard tray? Thanks

Sub! :thumb:

Last edited: 14 Nov 2012
  18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Doing great with this wejjy, like the alternative HDD mount. :)

19. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Hi Canard, thanks for looking, yes I will be making an enclosure for the HDD soon and painting it to match the exterior of the case so that its hidden and safe. I love the case, but I have destroyed most of it to take the overkill cooling that I like to install!

As for the other mobo's I think you could with a little work yes, but only in the rear as standard cases do, not horizontally as there is not enough space. Anything is possible though in the world of modding!!

Thanks pal, Im trying to keep up with your work, you are too fast! I look like a snail next to you, every time I check your thread there are another 4 pages to look at! Appreciate you checkin in here though, and glad you like the HDD mod, it hard to be original sometimes here, its all been done!!

20. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Almost finished! Received the water-block and set to work getting it all up and running. Had a few minor issues but nothing too major! Mostly cable routing which Im still working on.. What do you all think?? Small but mighty powerful and runs really quiet and cool!

Reference 670 cheesecake!!

[​IMG]

Its a bit of a squeeze in there now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then onto the fluid, I didn't take photos of leak testing as it is all a tad boring and has been done over and over so the result instead!

[​IMG]

Just got the windows to cut in the side panel, and the front panel to sort and we are go!!!

Did get chance to install Civ5 just to test it all works nicely, but only on the TV sorry...

[​IMG]

Let me know your thoughts!?!

Thanks...