1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ASUS Striker II NSE - Emergency Surgery and Rehab

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 18 Feb 2012.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Last edited: 7 May 2012
  2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Personally not played with the Extreme, but had the Formula and the Maximus 2 Formula. Both developed the CPU_INT error rendering them useless (will not POST, but all fans spin up etc. The LCD read out displays CPU_INT). Good boards when they worked though.

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I had the Striker 2 Extreme, and i'm sorry to say, it was the worst motherboard i had the misfortune to own.

Sam

4. The_Crapman

How come?:worried:

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

It was a replacement for the Strike Extreme, which developed a fault, but it was dead on arrival, It refused to setup Raid, I wanted to Raid 2 WD Raptors, but it wouldn't have it, Single HDD was find though. Despite being sent off to Asus for repair, came back in the same state. A shame really as it had loads of potential. I replaced it with a P5K which worked fine.

I think i may have been unlucky though, as i didn't hear of anyone else's issues.

Sam

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nvidia chipsets were hit and miss. Exceptional overclockers with greater performance than their P965/P35 Intel alternatives, and the only ones you could SLI on back then, but prone to a variety of deaths: USB deaths, sudden chipset death, running hot etc. Tim used Striker and Striker IIs day in day out for his graphics test rig. It was a solid workhorse. I think Tim might have killed some others though..

Try not to overvolt the chipset too heavily since there isn't a replacement from ASUS if you break it! (No chipsets available)

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

The reason I got this board was I wanted a s775 that had sli for a build I'm planning and the striker II's seemed like the best available. I'll be making a custom waterblock to cover the nb, sb and vrm so heat shouldn't be a problem. :thumb:

From the pics I've seen it looks like the rog logo attached the the nb heatsink lights up. Is this the case or is that a mod someone has done?

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Gosh, that's going back a bit!

We used Striker Extremes in our graphics rigs for quite some time and they were many times better than the NVIDIA reference design board used by many manufacturers. I think between Richard and I, we had something like 7 or 8 of the 680i reference boards (including a couple that were 'pre-tested before shipping' in the hope that we'd get one that'd work - we were that desperate at that point and we were concerned that we couldn't replicate the success that other publications had clearly had with the board) before we got one that was good enough, whereas we'd had 3 or 4 Striker Extremes that all functioned perfectly through days of benchmarks and burn-in runs.

It was a little bit finicky with some memory modules if I recall, but later BIOS revisions improved that quite significantly.

I don't ever remember using the Striker II Extreme NSE though... I'd fallen in love with the Maximus II Formula at that point :eeek:

The_Crapman likes this.
  9. The_Crapman

I was going to get an extreme rather than the NSE, as the NSE only has the 790 chipset not the 790 ultra, but it still has 48 lanes of PCIE goodness and the only other difference between the 2, according to the asus and nvidia websites, is the extreme can take faster memory. but i'll have 4gig of 1600 in there which is plenty fast enough.

10. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

The logo does indeed light up. There's a small custom header on the board for it. With regards to mem speeds; I think you'll only be able to run them at 1333mhz. I may be wrong though.

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

It says it will support ram at 1600 overclocked speed, so it may take some tinkering but should be able to get my ripjawsx running on it. I hope....:worried:

And thanks for the info on the rog logo

Last edited: 19 Feb 2012
  12. -=ByteMan=-

-=ByteMan=- What's a Dremel?

I'm still running on an original Asus Striker Extreme, with a Q6600 @ 3.4 Ghz and 4GB Corsair TwinX RAM, with two XFX GTS-8800 in SLI, it cost me £1,300 for the system unit around 4 years ago and £296 for an Asus 22" 2 ms LCD monitor. Its still going strong, and according to 3D Mark at the time, it was in the worlds top ten fastest in its class back then :). I'm gonna upgrade it later this week with a 90GB OCZ Aglility SSD and two (yes two :p) EVGA GTX 550ti's in SLI.

-=ByteMan=- the caped modder :)

13. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

And it still keeps up with modern games? That's an impressive amount of mileage.

14. -=ByteMan=-

@ Instagib

Yeah gaming performance aint bad, I'm playing Skyrim at the mo in medium detail, hopefully the two GTX 550Ti's will let me run it at full settings. According to the reviews Ive read two GTX 500ti's in SLI can be faster than a single GTX 560ti, and two GFX cards look better than one through your case window. Eeh I wish I had the money back I've spent on GFX cards over the years! I can still remember my two 12MB 3DFX Voodoo 2's around £400 Ten years ago :jawdrop:

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OOOhh yea it was the reference boards. 'grats Foxconn.

Max II Formula - 550MHz base clock king for 150quid! The first 10/10 I ever gave to a mobo.

16. The_Crapman

I wouldn't get the 550's. Yeh you might have the same number of cores as a 560ti, but that doesn't mea you'll get the same real world performance. You'd be better off with a single 560ti or if you wat sli, get a couple of 460's. They still rock!:rock:

17. -=ByteMan=-

Well, Ive swapped in my two new GTX 550 ti's in SLI, and now running Skyrim in Ultra detail at 60 FPS, there's life in the old rig yet :D

18. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I speak from experience when I say that 550TI sli is actually suprisingly nippy, so long as you can get two cards for cheap. I can push just short of 570 performance on it.

19. The_Crapman

That's quite impressive. I suppose thieir high clock speeds make up for the lack of cores.What you got them clocked to?

20. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

1024,2048,2300. Upped Vcores. I could go higher, but one card loves really high memory clocks, but can't push the shader, and the other is the exact opposite.