1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Resetting After an Hour

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by contrastinglight, 1 Mar 2012.

1. contrastinglight

contrastinglight What's a Dremel?

I am having an issue with my new build which was put together this week, after 45 minutes to an hour of running it will reset its self and continue to do so after another couple of minutes of running.
    I also noticed that when I click to shut down on the log in screen it will do the same thing, reset and restart.
    I have windows 7 installed on the master drive ssd- this has been updated, all the drivers have been updated - bios have been flashed to the most current - the memory on the mother board passes the bios test and can all be seen in the bios.

The cpu temps seem to be fine when I check in the bios even after the 1 hour reset, I have cleared the cmos and still nothing is fixing this issue.

I am currently thinking short and will probly start checking the screws and MB for any contacts ect?

Any advice is welcome.

Richard:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Set up-
    CPU i7 3630 MB Asus Sabertooth LGA 2011 Saphirre Radeon 7970
    16gb Corsair Ram Cooler Corsair h100 asus sound card
    Case Corsair R 500

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Is that SSD a Crucial M4 by any chance?

3. contrastinglight

It is how?

4. contrastinglight

Crucial M4

I have since done some research on the crucial m4 and have updated the motherboard chipset drivers, the m4 firmware and also moved the sata connections from the Marevell to the Intell Sata- Howver this problem still keeps happeneing 45 minute running time and the pc starts to reset.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Any help or advice welcome,

Cheers,

Richard

5. Deders

Deders Modder

have you tried taking the side of the case off?

6. contrastinglight

The side of the case has been off the majority of the time, since I reset the cmos.
    The temps in the mios are all reading 27/28 the MB 31, so I dont think it is an over heating issue.
    I am thinking of removing the ssd drive and try a fresh install of windows 7 on a spare 2.5 I have, to confirm it is the SSD drive.

Failing that it will be back to basics and remove the MB from the casing and take it from there......

cheers,

Richard

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Could be faulty PSU, can you switch it with another?

8. contrastinglight

Unfortunatley I dont have another one spare, I will try a differrent hard drive intially to rule it out- then strip out the machine.

cheers for the reply,

Richard

9. contrastinglight

Help Now with memory errors

Okay whilst about to re install windows on an alternate hard drive, i have run memtest off a usb - This is currently showing over 15104 errors at just 51 %

Is this going to be the main cause of my restarting issue??:eyebrow:

Thanks for any help,

Richard

10. Deders

Deders Modder

I have a feeling that might have something to do with it. :duh:

What is it set to? MHZ, Timings and Voltage?

11. contrastinglight

I had to ask the obvious question for my sanity:blush:
    After one pass I had over 20000 errors -

The memory is corsair vengeance 1600 set at auto in the bios which has it at 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 the voltage is 1.5 again on auto again.

Do I need to change the MHZ of the memory to 1600 or would this not make any difference to the errors?

Sorry for the noob questions, first build....:duh:

cheers,

Richard

12. Deders

Deders Modder

Ok are those should be pretty safe timings and frequency, Are all the figures on the side of the Ram correlate with the ones in the bios?

13. contrastinglight

Hi, the Ram frequency and timing corrolate to the figures on the side of the ram.
    I am now unable to make post and an Led light has now appeared on the MB indicating the ram memory issue.

I have now made contact with scan to get an RMA........

cheers,

Richard

14. contrastinglight

So Have some new Ram after an RMA, which is in place and has been mem tested and passed.

Booted up and worked away for 10 minutes and it rebooted.

Gonna try a different hard drive and also test the GPU to if its causing the issues.

I had mem test running for an hour and 30 minutes and it hadnt reset could it still be a power issue?

cheers,

Richard

15. rollo

rollo Modder

you need to set xmp for the memory first and formost its a profile to set the correct timings

its unlikely to be a short as it just wouldnt boot

This could be a lack of power issue

try running prime 95 and see what happens

16. contrastinglight

Help

:wallbash::wallbash:

So Tried to install windows on another hard drive however due to previous MBR on the disk....... it wouldnt installl, tried to flatten it with active Kill Disc off Hirens boot disc- this did not work due to an error.......... Back to the drawing board on that one...

Booted back up into windows 7 ran speed Fan to see if there were any issues, it is coming up with a cpu Temp of 128 c - I cannot believe this, the cores are all reading 28-30 c this cant surely be right?
    What other software can I use to check the temps?

Mean while I ran the system for a while and it done its thing - rebooted with no BSOD even after I had set it not to automatic restart.
    I booted into safe mode and ran it for a good 20 minutes done some surfing tested it on some video play back, and it worked safely with no restarts.

This is leading me to think that it is a driver issue?

I really am getting pissed off with the whole thing, apple was mentioned a few times at the system to try and scare it into working!!:waah::waah:

My current train of thought is to flatten the ssd card reinstall a fresh copy of windows 7 plus a fresh install of the drivers???

Any help would be appreciated, :confused::confused::confused::confused:

17. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I found Speedfan useless at reporting temps. It was a good 10 or 15 degrees out most of the time compared to CoreTemp or Real Temp. Try using one of those and seeing what they say.

If it ran fine in safe mode then it's almost certainly drivers. I'd give the format and reinstall a go using the latest drivers from the chip manufacturer i.e Realtek, Intel e.t.c rather than the motherboard manufacturer as they don't seem to update them often. Usually the specification page on the motherboard website or the specification table in the manual should give you enough info to get the drivers direct.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2012
  18. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you can use diskpart to clear the disk, i do that all the time with troublesome disks

cmd prompt

Diskpart

select disk n where n is the disk no (0) is the first drive (1) is second etc physical disks not partitions

clean

that wipes everything including mbr

19. contrastinglight

Thats what I was thinking, glad to hear I am not just clutching at straws....:thumb:

20. contrastinglight

Cheers, Rich will give it a go.......