1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Z77 Motherboard upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jsty3105, 8 Jul 2012.

1. jsty3105

jsty3105 What's a Dremel?

Looking to upgrade from my MSI 770-C45 (that the good folk here recommended to me a couple of years back - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=191334)

It recently died on me and is going through an RMA now. I'm looking to upgrade to an Intel setup since I've effectively been handed a blank cheque as a birthday gift. Since I still don't want to break the bank, I'm still looking at keeping the cost of the CPU and motherboard at under £190 though.

CPU
    Core i3-2120 (looks like the cheapest upgrade to my old Phenom II x4 955BE)

Motherboards - Now here's where the selection gets rather murky.
    I plan to go with the Z77 mobo as I've read in a couple of other forums that it's got better second hand value than the H77 boards - sound advice methinks - but what Z77 board to go for?

Features I'm interested in:
    • USB 3.0 - I have loads of pheripherals so the more the better, especially front panel USB
    • Intel's Smart Response SSD caching tech
    • Onboard audio
    • Lucid VirtuMVP software - That tech is looking rather interesting...
    • Onboard LAN
    • Easy overclocking (This feature is more for the future when I've upgraded from the i3) - Am a complete beginner in this but would like to start learning it. Not aiming at a major overclock to begin with though since I'm just starting out.
    • Energy efficiency - To balance out the power draw of my HD4890
    • Stability
    • Good warranty

Features I don't need:
    • SLI or CrossFire (Probably only going to stick with one GPU, my HD4890)
    • eSATA

Features I might not know I need
    • Onboard power/reset switch
    • Dual Bios

Rig mostly used for:
    • Gaming - Starcraft II, Mass Effect series, Civ IV, Football Manager 2012, Quake 4, Bioshock 1 & 2, Deus Ex series
    • Video editing - More as a hobby
    • Sound editing - Do this a lot more as a vocal artist and wannabe multitracker(?)
    • Picture editing - Adobe Photoshop Elements 10

So, a fairly well-rounded set of uses. Am quite impressed with the performance of the Core i3-2120 and how close it gets to my old Phenom II x4 955BE at stock speeds on multi-threaded applications so am planning to plunk down for it and upgrade to the Core i5 or i7 in a year or two.

Boards I'm looking quite closely at:
    • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
    • Asus P8Z77-M
    • GA-Z77M-D3H
    • ASRock Z77 Pro3
    • ASRock Z77 Pro4-M

Last edited: 8 Jul 2012
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Your first issue is that CPU wont overclock, you need a k series chip. I personally love my M5G as you get all the features of a truely top of the range board but the cost of a midrange board.

3. jsty3105

jsty3105 What's a Dremel?

Forgot to mention that the overclocking was a future-proofing feature. Only plan to overclock when I upgrade my core i3

4. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Not on the list and does "Break the budget a little (£160-ish opposed to £100-ish)".... but my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 is rocking with my i5-3570k, very solid 5 yr warranty too.