1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ASRock Pro 4 or Extreme 4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by will_123, 19 Feb 2013.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

My Gigabyte "Ultra Durable" Motherboard shorted when i put my new power supply in, apparently its not so "Durable" then. The power supply is being replaced by scan which is good but I cant find any reasonably priced 1366 motherboard anywhere so I think im just going to upgrade my CPU.

Im looking at the i5 3570K and either the ASRock Extreme 4 or Pro 4. Apart from the on board video is there any reason to spend the extra money on the extreme? I have been looking around to see what it offers over the Pro and all i can see is SLI support and onboard video.

Is AMD even an option when it comes to upgrading? Or should I just disregard them and stick with Intel.

Thanks
    William

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

The extreme has more power phases for one thing.

Stick with intel and in all honesty Gigabytes Z77 stuff is very decent.

Id take a Gigabyte or a Asus over a Asrock.

3. will_123

If not the ASRock what would you recommend? Looking to do some overclocking, not really looking for SLI/CF if its there bonus. Need a PCI for my sound card, that's about it though. Any suggestions?

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

asrock stuff is actually a lot better than it used to be, the local store I do some work for has had fewer returns on the asrock boards than asus, the extreme and pro boards are quality boards.

5. TheP

TheP What's a Dremel?

Thats also what i heard and why i will buy an Asrock Extreme4.
    Some years before you would be called insane to byu one but now ARock are solid boards. Low price with good performance

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Which power supply did you have? I can't think of any proper unit without short circuit protection. Even a cheap and nasty unit from 2001 had SCP (which I accidentally tripped while fiddling with a fan; there wasn't even a spark, it just shut down).

7. will_123

I had a crosair TX750 put it in the case. Everything booted up then suddenly stopped never to come on again..? Tried another power supply on motherboard nothing. Dead.

Was thinking the extreme4. If not that does anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, ASRock have really upped their games in the last few years, its good to have another manufacturer take on the more established players.