1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI teases G Series gaming motherboards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Couple this with the pics I have and I am thinking it might actually look like a motherboard. Loving the teaser pic :D

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Have to say MSI are really getting better with there motherboards, to the point I am not looking at the old faithfull Asus boards for my systems.

The Killer cards though I have to say seem more of a gimmick to me, as the last one I used on a motherboard was on a Gigabyte X58 board and it was awfull, and then I tried the add in card and that was awfull to so unless there is a massive improvement then that would be a feature, I would not be interested in seeing on the boards.

4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Cant beat good old Intel NIC :)

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I bought an 77 series MSI board for £120~ from what I remember and it had a voltage cap on overclocking of 1.35v. I'd not had such a limit on all my Asus boards before even when I only spent £70 with overclocking in mind.

In the interest of fairness though, this will be a premium board I'd imagine and not have such a restriction.

6. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Actually this is a bit gimmicky tbh, you can change the polling rate of your USB mouse in some logitech settings and if you havn't got a logitech mouse - there is a program that allows you to do it (i cant remember its name - it might be a registry key you change? I cant remember)...I was doing it years ago when playing competitive counter-strike (as was every other player).

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This.

When my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 bit the dust (for no apparent reason) I had a rush to replace it; ended up with one of the G1.Killer series boards... the 'Killer' NIC on it is utter junk. I picked up an Intel PCI-E NIC and all my problems vanished.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

9. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

How does someone 'crow'?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

11. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Yes it does seem gimmicky, what's the big deal about changing the polling rate of USB mice as these mobo's are aimed at gamers then any gamer buying one will almost certainly have a gaming mouse and most of them if not all of them come with driver software that allows much more configuration than just polling rates, pretty unrealistic to think that any gamer buying these mobo's is using some cheapo mouse :confused:

12. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

It's 2013 and MSI want to triple the amount of gold plating they use for the PS/2 and USB 2.0 ports when they could have used USB 3.x

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Amen brother.

And didn't ASRock and Gigabyte do these features already? And how popular were G1's and Fatal1ty's in review?

Competition is always a good thing! But, if this is all there is, it's gonna be a good Haswell launch for ASUS :hip:

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I blame Intel and Amd for this influx of pointless features on mainboards.

Back in the old days before the memory controller and north bridge got moved to the cpu it actually mattered what mainboard you bought, but these days with so much having moved to the cpu mainboard manufacturers are desperate to somehow stand out from the masses and unfortunately that leads to attempts to charge extra for things like "killer" nic.

15. EasterEEL

EasterEEL What's a Dremel?

The embedded Killer E2200 would have to be a lot better than the embedded E2100 in my Gigabyte motherboard. It stops working (every time) with large file transfers over my LAN and loses network connectivity requiring a reboot. Plenty posting similar issues on Bigfoot the forum when it existed.