1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Fried CPU??

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by popcornuk1983, 2 Jul 2013.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hello all,

I think I've messed up big time. Bought myself a Corsair H60 2013 cooler to try and get some extra oomph out of my i5 3570K.

I made a typo while adjusting my core voltage. Meant to type 1.19 but instead put 1.9!

The PC booted for a few seconds and I got to the BIOS intro screen then the PC switched itself off. I immediately pulled the plug and reset the CMOS. But now when I turn it on, everything powers on but I don't get any image on the monitor and after 20 seconds or so the PC shuts itself off, powers back on and does this in a constant loop.

I've had a faulty CPU before and I usually still get the BIOS screen showing saying CPU error (or something like that)

Think it's the CPU or motherboard that's gone? Any advice other than to cry in a corner?

2. Deders

Deders Modder

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

As suggested clear the CMOS for an hour. Also try and disconnect all non essentials such as DVD and HDD etc. Also try with different RAM or without RAM. But I'll be honest here it ain't looking good :worried:

4. popcornuk1983

I tried clearing the CMOS by using the jumper setting and removing the battery overnight. Still no joy.

Luckily my mate has the exact same board and CPU so I'm gonna take my PC over to his and try and find out if it's my MB or CPU.

Once I find out, I'm going to raise an RMA from the website I bought it from. Think there's anyway they'd know I blew it due to applying too much voltage?

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Are there any physical marks on it?

6. popcornuk1983

Nope nothing. I've taken the CPU out and there's no marks on the CPU or the motherboards pins. Looks totally fine. Hopefully I'll get away with a return.

7. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

integrity: doing what is right even when no-one is watching.

8. popcornuk1983

So after a couple of weeks, Scan have replaced my CPU and repaired the motherboard.

They repaired the motherboard off their own back as 2 socket pins were damaged during transit and they rejected a replacement under warrenty becuase of this (thanks royal mail special delivery). They didn't have to do anything but they fixed it for free.

I'm now up and running again and **** scared to overclock. It'll be a while before I dabble again.

Couldn't have had a better experience with Scan. I know they were probably doing it because of the money I've spent over the years and want me to keep spending. But still....Kudos to Scan!