1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Kinect v2 "No supported USB 3.0 port detected".

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by xinaes, 6 Jun 2015.

1. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

I have a Kinect for Windows sensor I'm trying to use with the system described in my sig; notably ga-ud3h-b3 mb.

The Kinect v2 Configuration Verifier fails on the "USB Controller" step with the result "No supported USB 3.0 port detected".

I have just installed the latest Eltron driver (1.0.0.118) for the USB controller from the Gigabyte website, but it hasn't made any difference. Not sure I've ever really used USB 3 for anything on this machine. The physical ports are on the back panel of the MB, so it's not like I could have connected to the wrong header or anything.

The only course of action that immediately suggests itself is for me to get a new MB (and as such, CPU; hopefully the rest of my bits will be compatible). I've long suspected my MB to be responsible for random freezes on this system anyway (I made a thread about this here not too long ago). However, it's quite a hassle to change and I have no need to upgrade as long as the system worked as it should...

I suppose I can also install Windows on my Macbook Pro so I can at least get up and running with the sensor. It's not a long term solution, but at least then I can get a bit of work done with it and not have to rush into deciding what to do with the PC.

Thoughts appreciated.

2. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

I suppose I could also get a USB 3 PCI card.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

was going to suggest the above, there are some compatibility issues with some usb3 controllers

4. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I've ordered one from Scan now. One of these which the description says uses "the best NEC chipset", so fingers crossed it'll be ok. It slipped my mind to search for particular chipsets / cards in relation to the Kinect.

One other thing I could try that also slipped my mind was to check the BIOS for any related settings, but I'm pretty sure I was poking around there fairly recently and there wasn't anything like a disabled USB 3 option. Also I found a thread on msdn forum about chipset compatibility which does mention Eltron (such as I have) being bad, and I also see at least one report of the uPD720200 controller in the card I just ordered working.

So hopefully I'll be sorted once this card turns up - apart from my random freezes, which are I suppose part of the reason I was (reluctantly) predisposed to the idea of a new MB.

5. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

6. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

Just arrived and installed, running smoothly.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Cool, glad you got it sorted

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

"Use USB" they said, "it's compatible with everything" they said.
    :duh:

9. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

I got into an argument with someone on the SoundOnSound forum once when I was asking for advice about my FireWire audio interface not working properly under Windows with the FW controller in my laptop... apparently thinking that things like FireWire or USB 3 should have to conform to some sort of certifiable specification such that consumers know where they stand without having to research controller chipsets / peripheral combinations in detail for hours on end on the internet makes me a "spec obsessed geek" who doesn't live in the real world.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I don't think I'm the only one...

Oh, and talking of sound... I seem to be hearing nasty interference on my headphones since installing this card... was reasonably happy with SQ of the built in audio up 'til now, might need a new audio interface / sound card for this machine.